Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do get what you're saying, and I've always used PCP in the past, but the current environment is very strange in the short-term (the X5 I'm part-exing is worth more than I paid for it 10 months ago) but (for me) the delta in payments between lease and PCP is just over £12k. Now, the balloon on the PCP at the end of 4 years does feel very low and it may be that the equity in the car is worth more than £12k over balloon at the end of the term and I'd lose out.

When I bought the X5 there was nothing in it in between the lease and PCP monthlies, and I've seen the benefit of the current market, so I get the argument for PCP over lease (especially with no road tax benefits on a BEV) but I guess what it comes down to here is lower upfront monthly costs vs. the added flexibility the PCP brings and the ability to benefit from any valuation uplift throughout the term or at the end. All that being said, if you're adding options to the car I'd say you'd be better off with PCP. We talked before about you taking the 20" wheel and seeing the benefit in residuals at the end, whereas I'd be paying £40pm for no real benefit thereby representing a true cost to me.
Cash>Cash+loan>PCP>Lease.... is the norm flow for interest payment efficiencies.
Company Car schemes are good, but the total cost of ownership after the tax consideration needs to be careful reviewed, especially if you do not own the car.
In the current climate, existing cars are worth more - it's a simple supply and demand problem. The best time to buy new is now because a 6-18 month old car is a similar price.
I doubt very much that the supply problem will continue, certainly not 3-4 years. Residuals will be lower....

Reactions: Markee68
They split the city in two. I think the object was to reduce the impact on the ports and industry. They did try to keep the workers onsite, but they realised they didn't have enough provisions!
Bloomberg and Reuters reporting that the lockdown is now expected end Saturday April 2nd. I mean for crying out load, don't they realise I'm waiting for a new car 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: DrPhlegm
Cash>Cash+loan>PCP>Lease.... is the norm flow for interest payment efficiencies.
Company Car schemes are good, but the total cost of ownership after the tax consideration needs to be careful reviewed, especially if you do not own the car.
In the current climate, existing cars are worth more - it's a simple supply and demand problem. The best time to buy new is now because a 6-18 month old car is a similar price.
I doubt very much that the supply problem will continue, certainly not 3-4 years. Residuals will be lower....
Yep - so the situation we're in now (12 month old cars worth more than new car) will stop, and residuals will drop, right?

Yep - so the situation we're in now (12 month old cars worth more than new car) will stop, and residuals will drop, right?
Yes, I think you can safely assume that. Anyone doing their calcs based on what their car might be worth in 2-3 years time based on the current situation is taking a bit of a risk, in my opinion.

I’ve been quoted 12-13 months lead time for a BMW i4 and my BMW dealer has offered me more than the finance settlement figure to buy my X3 back, which was previously unheard of <2 years into a PCP.

Of course, we might still be in the same boat in 2-3 years time, but I think it’s unlikely.

Well, it’s not clean, but I love it!

Only very minor issue I’ve found is there’s a tiny piece of grit under the PPF on one side, I’ll probably just make a little slit and get it out myself.
D58D4273-8A7A-42A8-9A0F-7CCE5A94669B.jpeg
8FE5210F-BC22-4ECF-B267-1C8665E54742.jpeg
FB90BA85-F57B-4E40-83B6-AC3CF7E6B9E5.jpeg

Well, it’s not clean, but I love it!

Only very minor issue I’ve found is there’s a tiny piece of grit under the PPF on one side, I’ll probably just make a little slit and get it out myself. View attachment 788301View attachment 788306View attachment 788307

Looks fabulous. I've also ordered blue but with Geminis, every time I see the induction wheels I think....wow, maybe....but then I remember the potholes around here and tendency to hit kerbs!

Yes, I think you can safely assume that. Anyone doing their calcs based on what their car might be worth in 2-3 years time based on the current situation is taking a bit of a risk, in my opinion.

I’ve been quoted 12-13 months lead time for a BMW i4 and my BMW dealer has offered me more than the finance settlement figure to buy my X3 back, which was previously unheard of <2 years into a PCP.

Of course, we might still be in the same boat in 2-3 years time, but I think it’s unlikely.
We bought a M3 LR 14 months ago with cash, which has lost less than £1k in depreciation. So £70 a month to own over 14 months & 14k miles. I think one of the reasons why residuals are so high is because this was a £48k car when we bought it new and the same spec is now £55k. Supply is the other main factor of course.

We're about to trade it in against a new MY LR, which is £56k. My thinking is that Tesla will increase the price on the MY over the next couple of years (I can't see the M3 and MY being the same price long term) and so MY residuals in particular should remain very strong. Maybe not as strong as they have been over the last year, but still way ahead of any lease deal. A loan or PCP would probably be my second choice after cash in this market. Lease would be a distant 3rd.

Had mine a month now, and I'm loving it. I've kerbed it a couple of times - coming out of an L200 truck where it was never a problem. The tyres sit almost inside the rim (obviously but all the way up the tyre wall). That's disappointing but I've managed to reconcile it in my head. One thing I've noticed, when I first get in it there's seems to be a creaking noise coming from the front area of the car, the dash or from the plastic between the glass roof and the windscreen. Seems to go away when the car warms up. Anybody else noticed this?

Had mine a month now, and I'm loving it. I've kerbed it a couple of times - coming out of an L200 truck where it was never a problem. The tyres sit almost inside the rim (obviously but all the way up the tyre wall). That's disappointing but I've managed to reconcile it in my head. One thing I've noticed, when I first get in it there's seems to be a creaking noise coming from the front area of the car, the dash or from the plastic between the glass roof and the windscreen. Seems to go away when the car warms up. Anybody else noticed this?
No, our MY doesn't have that issue. Our M3 sometimes creaks a bit around the lower dash and steering column shroud. So it might be worth checking that area. Try moving the steering wheel up and down to see if it affects the creaking. That's how I diagnosed it. Neither of our cars have any issues with the windscreen or glass roof creaking.

Reactions: FifeEVDriver
Say hello to Persephone, only one pic as it was nearly 5pm and i wanted to get home. Got a bit of a fright though, they gave me the keys and said area B, off i went in search of the promised one only to come away fruitless. Then i spotted my reg across the car park, woohoo i thought until i got closer - the back end looked like it had an argument with a bulldozer, bugger i thought no Y for me. Went back to the desk and the girl started to panic but after a few checks it turned out my car was in area B (VIN confirmed) but some ejit had put the wrong plates on it, cue a frantic swap over and my panic attack ended lol. Has a couple of dirty marks inside but apart from that all is well.
Big queue on he M60 on the way home due to a broken down Vauxhall (absolutely detest that brand) in the outside lane.
IMG_2764.jpg

Say hello to Persephone, only one pic as it was nearly 5pm and i wanted to get home. Got a bit of a fright though, they gave me the keys and said area B, off i went in search of the promised one only to come away fruitless. Then i spotted my reg across the car park, woohoo i thought until i got closer - the back end looked like it had an argument with a bulldozer, bugger i thought no Y for me. Went back to the desk and the girl started to panic but after a few checks it turned out my car was in area B (VIN confirmed) but some ejit had put the wrong plates on it, cue a frantic swap over and my panic attack ended lol. Has a couple of dirty marks inside but apart from that all is well.
Big queue on he M60 on the way home due to a broken down Vauxhall (absolutely detest that brand) in the outside lane.View attachment 788351
Congratulations! and I Persephone looks a beauty. Sure you did get a free cardio it seems without the workout. Enjoy the car and do keep us posted on Persephone’s exploits 😀

Reactions: Mr H
I’ve already lowered the tyre pressures down to 42psi, this will be the first time I’ve driven on the Inductions, I’ll report back how they ride.
Hey Teaston! congrats man, finally! - enjoy the new wheels. Looks great.

I Finally got around to lowering the tyre pressure to 42 PSI after 6 weeks !
- Did it today and noticed a big difference. I wonder if all the motoring journalists were reporting ride quality on 20" inductions at 50 PSI !

Top tip; Anyone picking up a new one on inductions, check the PSI on the screen and if its 50PSI take the valve caps off, stick your front door key on the valve to release the pressure and count to 15 seconds on each wheel and then go check your pressure on the screen before you set off. I did that today and hit 43PSI exactly on each wheel 😎

Also, I got that Dodo Juice (the cleaner and the protector for the white interior). The cleaner says don't agitate with a brush but on Amazon, everyone else seemed to be ordering it with a brush (to agitate). Just wondering, on your M3 did you need to use a brush or just rub it a bit with a microfibre rag? I ask because I can still see (almost invisible) bit of jean rub off on the passenger side.

Reactions: teaston