Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! First time posting but been watching for a while! Interested if anyone is in the same position as me. Ordered a model Y in white with 20inch wheels (in the hope of quicker delivery!) on 30th March, and since order (through lex) I’m still showing eta for delivery of 10th May…I was sent my RN number on 1st April but no communication since. Spoken to Lex and Tesla this week and informed nothing is confirmed but it should still be on track!? All feels very pie in the sky, but I can’t help but get my hopes up as I really need the car asap!
My lease order is through Lex, ordered on the 23rd March. Last update was delivery moved till July. i'm surprised they are telling you different unless its because you choose the 20" rim option?

My lease order is through Lex, ordered on the 23rd March. Last update was delivery moved till July. i'm surprised they are telling you different unless its because you choose the 20" rim option?
Yeah when I ordered the 19” were showing July delivery, with the 20s showing May. Tesla showroom confirmed that it’s just down to production schedules and what they are fitting at the time…also clever to get impatient people like me to pay more!! I had ioniq5 on order until I cancelled to order this, as had been waiting 6 months and then were told it’d been pushed out until September!! So I didn’t want hang about.

Thanks I wasn’t aware of this. Just trying to make the transition as easy as possible for Mrs T.
We’ve had 2 Audis stolen previously (key theft) so this is a concern. Will consider if we use it, or look at the pin/passive entry options.

Edit to say others say this isn’t an issue, so will do my own research!
Model 3 and Y don’t have the issue with relay attacks due to how close the keycards have to be to the car and that the phone app keys uses Bluetooth, so yes isn’t an issue with 3 and Y, but introducing a key fob puts you at risk of a relay attack, as per S and X with key fobs.

Have a look at this video, fast forward to 1:30 for specific reference to 3 and Y.

• Informative
Reactions: Toblerone
Thanks I wasn’t aware of this. Just trying to make the transition as easy as possible for Mrs T.
We’ve had 2 Audis stolen previously (key theft) so this is a concern. Will consider if we use it, or look at the pin/passive entry options.

Edit to say others say this isn’t an issue, so will do my own research!
We keep our VW keys in little faraday pouches. I’ll probably do the same with the Tesla key cards as basically why not? If all it does is give me some peace of mind and has no technical basis that’s ok. I am slightly worried about using the phone keys in case the car is sometimes too close to the car when we are in the house too

Model 3 and Y don’t have the issue with relay attacks due to how close the keycards have to be to the car and that the phone app keys uses Bluetooth, so yes isn’t an issue with 3 and Y, but introducing a key fob puts you at risk of a relay attack, as per S and X with key fobs.

Have a look at this video, fast forward to 1:30 for specific reference to 3 and Y.

Thanks - this is the definitive answer. Bluetooth via app seems safe. Entry card seems safe. Key fob introduces the risk of relay attack.

Reactions: Markee68
I am slightly worried about using the phone keys in case the car is sometimes too close to the car when we are in the house too

the phone app keys uses Bluetooth

Bluetooth via app seems safe.

Phones (Brands / Models) vary. Some people report they can't unlock the door if the phone is in their back pocket ... others that the car is not locked when the phone is across the far side of a car park, or inside the house but "nearby" (the car locks, so appears locked, but if you pull the door handle [with the phone distant but within its max range] then the door opens). Same if you leave your phone in the car and lock the car some other way - e.g. with fob.

So best not to assume Phone is immune to car being stolen because of assumed short range of Bluetooth. Worth doing an actual test with your (family members') specific phones. My recollection of other posts is that iPhone better than (some) Android brands.

Entry card seems safe

Definitely won't work more than a short distance away from the car sensor and cannot be used for e.g. Relay. Thus needs physical theft.

Key fob introduces the risk of relay attack

My recollection is that Key fob will become inactive if it doesn't move for a period of time. So if left "on the shelf" that should be fine. Although from memory the period of "not moved" time is quite long (30 minutes maybe?).

Can turn off Passive Entry (but then have to push a button on the Fob to unlock) or use Pin-to-Drive and then if car can be opened the car contents are vulnerable, although cannot then be driven without either the PIN or a means of bypassing it (e.g. physical possession of the phone and then use the app to UNLOCK the car and START it ... the APP does not require Tesla password for those actions)

Reactions: Toblerone
Hello! First time posting but been watching for a while! Interested if anyone is in the same position as me. Ordered a model Y in white with 20inch wheels (in the hope of quicker delivery!) on 30th March, and since order (through lex) I’m still showing eta for delivery of 10th May…
Unless Lex have a car for you already tucked away somewhere then sadly this is not going to turn out to be true.
Tesla have no MY in the UK and there are currently none on any ships heading this way. Which means the next MY deliveries in the UK are at least 5 weeks away. So early June is the earliest. If you did not order until late March then Late June is more likely and that is to the lease company. how long it takes them to get it to you.......
If I were you I would assume last week in June / first week in July.
And yes I'm afraid you probably wasted 2K if you ordered the wheels just to get earlier delivery. I ordered 19s when it was saying July and it went straight to early May after I placed the order ( pre Shanghai shutdown obviously). They look nice though ( at least until you curb them)

Reactions: Wattsisname
Hello! First time posting but been watching for a while! Interested if anyone is in the same position as me. Ordered a model Y in white with 20inch wheels (in the hope of quicker delivery!) on 30th March, and since order (through lex) I’m still showing eta for delivery of 10th May…I was sent my RN number on 1st April but no communication since. Spoken to Lex and Tesla this week and informed nothing is confirmed but it should still be on track!? All feels very pie in the sky, but I can’t help but get my hopes up as I really need the car asap!
Phones (Brands / Models) vary. Some people report they can't unlock the door if the phone is in their back pocket ... others that the car is not locked when the phone is across the far side of a car park, or inside the house but "nearby" (the car locks, so appears locked, but if you pull the door handle [with the phone distant but within its max range] then the door opens). Same if you leave your phone in the car and lock the car some other way - e.g. with fob.

So best not to assume Phone is immune to car being stolen because of assumed short range of Bluetooth. Worth doing an actual test with your (family members') specific phones. My recollection of other posts is that iPhone better than (some) Android brands.

Definitely won't work more than a short distance away from the car sensor and cannot be used for e.g. Relay. Thus needs physical theft.

My recollection is that Key fob will become inactive if it doesn't move for a period of time. So if left "on the shelf" that should be fine. Although from memory the period of "not moved" time is quite long (30 minutes maybe?).

Can turn off Passive Entry (but then have to push a button on the Fob to unlock) or use Pin-to-Drive and then if car can be opened the car contents are vulnerable, although cannot then be driven without either the PIN or a means of bypassing it (e.g. physical possession of the phone and then use the app to UNLOCK the car and START it ... the APP does not require Tesla password for those actions)
Is it reasonable to suppose that the Tesla key fob is no more risky than the fobs for the ICE cars we have been driving for years and are used to taking whatever precaution we care to take?
On the other hand, the app approach does sound worthy of caution; Bluetooth range!

Whilst I would choose Tesla ownership of most other cars, EV and ICE, I am surprised that the thieves don't stick to Benz and Beamer as being less difficult to keep or sell.

Green thieves?

Is it reasonable to suppose that the Tesla key fob is no more risky than the fobs for the ICE cars we have been driving for years and are used to taking whatever precaution we care to take?
On the other hand, the app approach does sound worthy of caution; Bluetooth range!

Whilst I would choose Tesla ownership of most other cars, EV and ICE, I am surprised that the thieves don't stick to Benz and Beamer as being less difficult to keep or sell.

Green thieves?
Green tea leaves?

Unless Lex have a car for you already tucked away somewhere then sadly this is not going to turn out to be true.
Tesla have no MY in the UK and there are currently none on any ships heading this way. Which means the next MY deliveries in the UK are at least 5 weeks away. So early June is the earliest. If you did not order until late March then Late June is more likely and that is to the lease company. how long it takes them to get it to you.......
If I were you I would assume last week in June / first week in July.
And yes I'm afraid you probably wasted 2K if you ordered the wheels just to get earlier delivery. I ordered 19s when it was saying July and it went straight to early May after I placed the order ( pre Shanghai shutdown obviously). They look nice though ( at least until you curb them)
Which is fine and what I kind of expect to be honest, I’m just confused and frustrated about the complete lack of any update, from either Lex or Tesla themselves. I’m supposedly 2 weeks away from delivery, and both parties are saying that is still achievable! I do prefer the 20s anyway, but can’t disagree they look a nightmare when curbed!

Which is fine and what I kind of expect to be honest, I’m just confused and frustrated about the complete lack of any update, from either Lex or Tesla themselves. I’m supposedly 2 weeks away from delivery, and both parties are saying that is still achievable! I do prefer the 20s anyway, but can’t disagree they look a nightmare when curbed!
I’m with Lex too but you’re one step ahead of me as I keep getting told EDD is “TBC”.

I agree with the other poster who responded, I think we are going to be lumped in with the end of June / beginning of July deliveries. With me personally without even having an estimated date yet, that’s the best I can hope for without going into August / September.

Green thieves?
I think youre assumption is correct, but also as with other ICE cars passive entry can be disabled.

I would also guess Teslas are less attractive to thieves looking to steal to break for parts as there’s no exhaust / engine / catalytic converter parts to sell.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I’m with Lex too but you’re one step ahead of me as I keep getting told EDD is “TBC”.

I agree with the other poster who responded, I think we are going to be lumped in with the end of June / beginning of July deliveries. With me personally without even having an estimated date yet, that’s the best I can hope for without going into August / September.
I’m just going to hope for mid June…(my birthday is the 15th so that’d be pretty cool!) but have a feeling we’ll be lucky to make June or July at all at this rate! 😣🤪

So, long time lurker.. first time poster! Here to join the wait with you all. Ordered yesterday with delivery shown as August, just logged in and it now says 14th-30th June so fingers crossed I'm on the next ship whenever it should arrive/load/sail!

Still got the drama of getting the lease company to transfer my order over to them but looking forward to the nervous anticipation with you all in the meantime and checking the shipping thread daily, haha!