Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked a MY spec in March with EDD in mind. Somewhat oldschool, I imagined the date would be reasonably bankable.

Now addicted to my daily dose of depression, I opened the Tesla app for my fix. Like many others, over the last 10 days my EDD has slid from June to August 24 - October 08. Spanning two quarters, I've read enough on here to set my expections on being in the second one at best.

Polestar in October is starting to look attractive. Has anyone test driven both MY and Polestar 2. Would be interested to hear thoughts.

--
MYLR, MSM, Black, 19", 15-March, Bristol. Aug 24 - Oct 08.

EDD has slid from June to August 24 - October 08. Spanning two quarters, I've read enough on here to set my expections on being in the second one at best.

Seen a few of those. The thing that is odd about that is that Tesla don't have any history of delivering in 1st month of a quarter (October in this case).

1st week of October could be a "Missed Q2" date - e.g. get the car to leasing company before end of September so that the sale is "completed" in Q2, and Lease company then takes "a week" to get it to you ... but that isn't relevant if you have a lease but are collecting direct from Tesla

So I'm confused as to where these XXX - October EDDs are coming from.

That said, I reckon lots of the EDD manipulation is manual ... and could mean anything. Including "Holding pending actual allocation" so I reckon could just as easily move again to "Aug-Sep" over the coming months (if MIC can make the RHD UK cars, and Tesla haven't decided that catch-up from Shanghai lockdown is best achieved by making ALL EU cars in Germany ...)

China economic stimulates massively favouring locals buying EVs. Huge order backlog because of Shanghai lockdown

Inflation must be starting to hurt on cars that will be delivered at a price set many months ago

NOT transporting them all the way from China would save some money compared transporting from Germany (and German factory is newer so I'm supposing that there are some other manufacturing economies - e.g. the "great big casting stamping machine")

Could this be the end of @Mr Miserable Shipping Thread?

Seen a few of those. The thing that is odd about that is that Tesla don't have any history of delivering in 1st month of a quarter (October in this case).

1st week of October could be a "Missed Q2" date - e.g. get the car to leasing company before end of September so that the sale is "completed" in Q2, and Lease company then takes "a week" to get it to you ... but that isn't relevant if you have a lease but are collecting direct from Tesla

So I'm confused as to where these XXX - October EDDs are coming from.

That said, I reckon lots of the EDD manipulation is manual ... and could mean anything. Including "Holding pending actual allocation" so I reckon could just as easily move again to "Aug-Sep" over the coming months (if MIC can make the RHD UK cars, and Tesla haven't decided that catch-up from Shanghai lockdown is best achieved by making ALL EU cars in Germany ...)

China economic stimulates massively favouring locals buying EVs. Huge order backlog because of Shanghai lockdown

Inflation must be starting to hurt on cars that will be delivered at a price set many months ago

NOT transporting them all the way from China would save some money compared transporting from Germany (and German factory is newer so I'm supposing that there are some other manufacturing economies - e.g. the "great big casting stamping machine")

Could this be the end of @Mr Miserable Shipping Thread?
There will be the Channel Shipping for MrM or will they come on the train?😀

I picked a MY spec in March with EDD in mind. Somewhat oldschool, I imagined the date would be reasonably bankable.

Now addicted to my daily dose of depression, I opened the Tesla app for my fix. Like many others, over the last 10 days my EDD has slid from June to August 24 - October 08. Spanning two quarters, I've read enough on here to set my expections on being in the second one at best.

Polestar in October is starting to look attractive. Has anyone test driven both MY and Polestar 2. Would be interested to hear thoughts.

--
Going to try a Polestar 2 this weekend.

Im quite annoyed with these date changes, I decided to change from a MYP showing as Late 22 to a MYLR which was showing a June date hence I swapped and was going to go with the performance upgraded.

They then requested 17.7K final payment which I did believing this was required to lock in the June date, slipped to Sep. Been trying to get the 17.7 back since 13th May. Tesla Supervisor stated I should have never had this requested.

Edd now showing as Sep 12 to Oct 27th, will probably change again to 23 when we get close

What an absolute comedy of a company, once I get the money refunded will can the order

just bare in mind it’s not just about LHD/RHD. There will be type approval for different countries / territories that will vary across RHD / LHD versions. I would guess its more software orientated for Tesla, but this is certainly the case for mainstream cars. As an example, a friend of mine works at the Mini factory in Oxford that manages all the type approval for territories the Mini is sold in globally. He heads a large team…
Yes, of course I bet he does but all of that is done before the build process and is on the parts build list for that particular car, same as different interiors, colour, wheels, light units etc.

It's still possible to build for different markets on a single production line without stopping or re-tooling though, it's just bolting on different parts as necessary. Plus Tesla don't have emissions differences with it being electric, and 95%+ of all the parts are probably common for LHD and RHD. Most likely almost all of the type approval differences stuff is done when the software is installed as you say. The only assembly difference I can see between LHD and RHD is the dash unit has a slightly different cut out for the L/RHD steering wheel (and possibly wiring loom for that) and maybe the wipers mechanism is different to sweep the arms from the opposite side. All the panels, glass, lights look the same. (Although some, like the old style headlight units in the US could possibly still be different !)

It would be bizarre to design a new production line from scratch that couldn't cope with different markets without stopping and re-tooling. I think the most likely argument for what appears to be Tesla making in batches, would be that some parts aren't available for different markets, and so that 'spec' of car might have its production line slot delayed until the parts are available, causing more of the other variants to get built first. It's pure speculation and anyones guess though. Unless someone who works in production at the GF Shanghai can comment. The whole building in batches doesn't make any sense, same as the quarterly delivery push. Utterly uneconomical and non-sensical, as Elon mentioned.

I'd love to have a look around the factory and chat to them though.

I have Blue MY black seats, induction wheels on order. Ordered in February.

Now that the initially agreed delivery dates have slipped, Does anyone know if can we get the deposit back from Tesla. I will not be able to wait until September , so will mostly go for a used plug in hybrid.

--
Aren't polestar removing features due to lack of components/chips? This is from speaking to a friend who has one and is reasonably active in their forums so not sure how accurate.
I liked the polestar just felt the MY was a better overall package.

Going to try a Polestar 2 this weekend.
As angry as I am with Tesla right now, I still think the Polestar is fugly with a sad and boring interior. I’d rather have an EV6 or a Ioniq5.
If we get pushed well into Q3/Q4, then the wait for what’s coming in 2023 like the ID7 or the first A6 electric looks much more interesting and could possibly hit Tesla resale value in 2y time…
Sadly for them the 4 to 6 month delay they’ve added today might be a wake up call for me. As I won’t have my long anticipated car for this summer, I’d rather wait another year and make a better decision for the long-term…

Yes, of course I bet he does but all of that is done before the build process and is on the parts build list for that particular car, same as different interiors, colour, wheels, light units etc.

I'd love to have a look around the factory and chat to them though.
Thats a good point, but the point I was making was that it’s not as simple as just making RHD or LHD cars. Even if it’s all done prior to the build process, they’ll still need to potentially use some different parts even if not shutting down the line and re-tooling.

if you were referring to a tour of the Mini plant, you can book here:

As angry as I am with Tesla right now, I still think the Polestar is fugly with a sad and boring interior. I’d rather have an EV6 or a Ioniq5.
If we get pushed well into Q3/Q4, then the wait for what’s coming in 2023 like the ID7 or the first A6 electric looks much more interesting and could possibly hit Tesla resale value in 2y time…
Sadly for them the 4 to 6 month delay they’ve added today might be a wake up call for me. As I won’t have my long anticipated car for this summer, I’d rather wait another year and make a better decision for the long-term…
Trying an ioniq 5 as well. Model Y was a treat but missing summer takes the shine off, and the test drive was underwhelming too.

Reactions: WllXM
That's my view also, just need to get the final payment refunded I was incorrectly asked for.

The Ioniq N may be a beast, wait for all the chip shortages to blow over in 6 -12 months and there will be a flood of excess cars into the market. Combined with an impending recession will turn the tables back in favour of the consumer hopefully.

Reactions: WllXM and ElsDee
MYL/W/W ordered April 6th. First dates 21 May-18th june then 24th June-30th June, then 5th August to 15th Sep then it'd been 'July' for the past 3 weeks and then today: (with added specific gate location:
IMG-20220601-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220601-WA0002.jpg

@Snowy77 i think you’re going to have a lot of new members in that 🎻 club of yours shortly…

It's definitely a surreal place. Tesla, admittedly graduated me at long last this last week.

To be honest though, it feels sort of surreal to also be leaving! All I can say is that anyone pulled in to the club, hang in there. Both classes of Q1 and Q2 were (and still are) amazing company. I think the wait would have been brain numbing and torture otherwise.

🍻