Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome…I ordered via ALD (business) on March 25th and have a couple of questions.

1. Your EDD and order date
2. Have you taken delivery
3. Do ALD send out any comms? It’s been too quiet in my experience

Many thanks
Ordered 8th May and paid the deposit to Tesla. My EDD was September when ordering. For a glorious week it did move to June 23-30. Then back to September. Then October to December. Then back to September.

Nothing at all from ALD. If you click the link under the payment box it takes you to ALD. Mine just says they’re be in touch when a car has been matched.

Ordered 8th May and paid the deposit to Tesla. My EDD was September when ordering. For a glorious week it did move to June 23-30. Then back to September. Then October to December. Then back to September.

Nothing at all from ALD. If you click the link under the payment box it takes you to ALD. Mine just says they’re be in touch when a car has been matched.
That’s interesting… I haven’t been asked to pay any deposit and I have called ALD several times to ask if there’s anything I should do in the mean time and their answer is always ‘nothing for you to do, wait for Tesla to get in touch’

That’s interesting… I haven’t been asked to pay any deposit and I have called ALD several times to ask if there’s anything I should do in the mean time and their answer is always ‘nothing for you to do, wait for Tesla to get in touch’
I just paid the £200 to secure the car, then selected ALD. I’ve not paid ALD anything yet. I get the same message “wait for Tesla”

Reactions: Toppyawe
100% agree. Ordered on 1st April - I would have been perfectly happy with Black or White ext. & Geminis but made the conscious decision to upgrade to MSM & Inductions based on the reduced lead time (obviously they look pretty, too). I've then had the decidedly agonising experience of watching others with order dates up to 7 weeks later than mine receiving their cars whilst I feebly refresh the Shipping Movements thread for the 113th time that day, hoping for some glimmer of hope.

For a ~£60k car, I would expect a better after-sale experience than this. I appreciate many other manufacturers are rarely better, but at least I would be able to take some comfort in the fact that my order would likely be built, shipped and delivered in a sensical, chronological order and not in this frankly baffling 'batch' system that Tesla use.

Blame it on my Britishness (my username notwithstanding) but a nice queue is something I place great importance upon. The situation with Tesla deliveries at the moment is the equivalent of the McDonalds manager walking past me with my food, out the door and giving it to the bloke sat at the bus stop across the road.
Nicely put, like you I chose MSM to be different from all the folks buying white. However, this was the worst choice for dates and my EDD was only updated once in all this time and I also have no faith it will be here in September as being further away from Southampton I will be further disadvantaged by their end Q race; but will not know this until it happens and then will be back to “Will it arrive end q4? I’m genuinely tempted to source another brand which has more refinement than Tesla (they seem to experiment with customers. E.g firm ride until sufficient complaints and then we will soften it but only MIG MYP just now, No load cover and then add a work-around cheap Hack; slack head rests which rattle over bumps and then tighten headrests and add a carpet trim hack. In fact Tesla is a bit of a bodge and hack type company and we’ve allowed the cult to Draw us in.) the supercharger network is not even a privileged members only club any longer so why do we put up with it? Customer service is like buying a food mixer on back order!

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricPolice
Nicely put, like you I chose MSM to be different from all the folks buying white. However, this was the worst choice for dates and my EDD was only updated once in all this time and I also have no faith it will be here in September as being further away from Southampton I will be further disadvantaged by their end Q race; but will not know this until it happens and then will be back to “Will it arrive end q4? I’m genuinely tempted to source another brand which has more refinement than Tesla (they seem to experiment with customers. E.g firm ride until sufficient complaints and then we will soften it but only MIG MYP just now, No load cover and then add a work-around cheap Hack; slack head rests which rattle over bumps and then tighten headrests and add a carpet trim hack. In fact Tesla is a bit of a bodge and hack type company and we’ve allowed the cult to Draw us in.) the supercharger network is not even a privileged members only club any longer so why do we put up with it? Customer service is like buying a food mixer on back order!
Exactly this, good customer service would be a call to say: ‘Sorry, there’s an unforeseen delay on MSM, are you happy to wait or would you consider a different colour?’.

The answer for me would be yes, I’ll happily take a blue one!

The reduced exclusivity of the Supercharger network is also a grievance. Having picked Tesla partly for this and the (purportedly) reduced lead times, it feels like a good chunk of the reason for buying has been eroded during the wait time.

Last edited:
Exactly this, good customer service would be a call to say: ‘Sorry, there’s an unforeseen delay on MSM, are you happy to wait or would you consider a different colour?’.

The answer for me would be yes, I’ll happily take a blue one!

The reduced exclusivity of the Supercharger network is also a grievance. Having picked Tesla partly for this and the (purportedly) reduced lead times, it feels like a good chunk of the reason for buying has been eroded during the wait time.
#TeamBlue will consider your application but will have to consider the fact that you ordered grey first. 😉

Welcome. I’m coming from a Q5.
Q4 looks nice and I sat in it, however it is so slow compared to the MY and the Quattro bumps up the price. It doesn’t offer 1 pedal driving / much regen which I guess is to make it feel similar to an ICE car and it has drum brakes at the rear.
But surely the biggest sin is the lack of frunk?! For me the Tesla won on all of these fronts.

I ordered in mid April, when website showed September. My order immediately jumped to 30-June and stayed there until it didn’t and I’m now 30-Sept (just a caution for you).
Now this could have been due to Shanghai covid shutdown, but there will always be something - parts shortages, ship availability, domestic demand, etc.

Fingers crossed you get Q3 delivery, but if not you can keep joining the fun here and speculating what enhancements your later delivered car will come with.
Favourites are Berlin grade suspension, or carpet lining to stop rear seatbelts rattling. But for now all we seem to be getting is a rubber sealing strip on the boot lid! 🫠
I ordered the base model Y in April and my friend in May. I am stuck with Sept end . However my friend popped in MK showroom and they managed to assign him a VIN against the cancellation and getting his car by mid of August ! - just under 3 months after placing the order 😳

#TeamBlue will consider your application but will have to consider the fact that you ordered grey first. 😉
I ordered the base model Y in April and my friend in May. I am stuck with Sept end . However my friend popped in MK showroom and they managed to assign him a VIN against the cancellation and getting his car by mid of August ! - just under 3 months after placing the order 😳
Lesson to be learned here is to act like a squeaky wheel as it gets the oil. The person who orders and stand in line gets walked all over and just wait for the long list of unfulfilled orders this Quarter. Expectations will be dashed and Tesla cannot afford anymore of these own goals.

Excited to be collecting my MYLR from Staines-upon-thames in a few weeks - i’m looking for advice on whether to ask them not to clean it, given previous reports at Bluewater of scratches and swirls on the paintwork when collecting. Anyone got first hand experience?
It’s all a storm in a teacup, percentage wise.

Firstly, you can’t prevent it so I don’t believe it is worth trying (nobody appears to have stopped them yet), secondly, most people last quarter had no problems. Thirdly it will buff out if it does happen, nobody on here has mentioned having a respray as far as I could see last quarter?

Look forward to a shiny car, they aren’t monsters trying to make work for themselves as everyone who turns up with a grievance will mean they’ve double the work to do in re cleaning and buffing out.

Fingers crossed for you but don’t fret, it will ruin the experience. My collection was faultless, although with all the negativity talk I was checking for swirls, panel gaps, missing cables, no Ryzen, lithium battery etc. All a non-event thankfully for me.

Car finish was like a mirror. Photo below from NEC👍

Attachments

• 1B807450-36E9-49A5-844B-929811CBAA9D.jpeg
    1B807450-36E9-49A5-844B-929811CBAA9D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Lesson to be learned here is to act like a squeaky wheel as it gets the oil. The person who orders and stand in line gets walked all over and just wait for the long list of unfulfilled orders this Quarter. Expectations will be dashed and Tesla cannot afford anymore of these own goals.
I hate tesla for not being fair on this. I think its very unprofessional if not unethical. Although I'm happy for my friend.

Reactions: Obie
Based on unverified rumours I came across, I wonder whether customers who ordered at Tesla showrooms directly - in person could be prioritised or not?

Based on unverified rumours I came across, I wonder whether customers who ordered at Tesla showrooms directly - in person could be prioritised or not?
There’s no difference there, they use the same order system, on the same website. In fact, when I went in to check the cars out and decided to place an order, they said “you can order with us here, but we are literally going to do the same as you would at home with the website” they just enter your details and setup an account.

Since Tesla doesn’t really have dealerships, they don’t have any in-store sales quotas which would encourage in-store staff to try make car sales there and then.

It is a free country. You can cancel your order and go order from some other manufacturer. You will then find the bodges that other manufacturers have made.

I went for EV6 test drive. The head up display of the car is wonderful. Other things work fine. But new tech does not work. The salesman tried to demonstrate self parking function. After 3-4 tries he gave up as the car was not detecting parking spaces even when two bays were empty. He then said it is probably because the car is low on battery. The other thing was about the trade in value of my current car. He said it would be about 12K but he would have to speak to his manager. And Tesla was offering 15K at that time. No “speaking to manager” business. The delivery date was Mar-2023 at the earliest.

I see Tesla Model Y as a mass produced car. It is more like a Model T. It is expensive but that is due to the tech and not because it is a luxury vehicle. So I do not expect service as if I am buying a Rolls Royce. I agree their system of vehicle allocation is weird, but it is consistent, in that they allocate vehicles as they are produced. I think their strategy probably is to have minimal inventory.

So after the Kia experience I decided to stick with Tesla. You can also try other manufacturers and if you like something else then go ahead and book it. If you cancel your booking then someone else who does not think Tesla is a bodge, will move up in the queue

There’s no difference there, they use the same order system, on the same website. In fact, when I went in to check the cars out and decided to place an order, they said “you can order with us here, but we are literally going to do the same as you would at home with the website” they just enter your details and setup an account.

Since Tesla doesn’t really have dealerships, they don’t have any in-store sales quotas which would encourage in-store staff to try make car sales there and then.
👍thanks for the insight - I also hope so…it is one of those things made me wonder if they had any staff incentives for walk-in sales in return for expedited EDD etc.

The next couple of days/week(s) will be intense day by day, coming closer to the mid Q with not much firmed EDDs / VINs (source code) for Apr onwards orders…

I finally got round to taking model Y out today for a test drive today, I've driven the 3 on many ocassions, but never a Y. Luckily, they gave me the exact same spec as I've ordered and I got it for an hour, I'm pleased to confirm that I loved it :D

I really liked the seating position compared to the 3 but other than that, it was pretty much the same experience. The inductions were most definitely not a harsh ride in my opinion, I drove through the city, down some crappy back road and on the dual carriage way, I thought the ride was awesome. What I did notice though was the phantom breaking on the dual carriageway, I was quite surprised at how hard it braked, nota nice feeling at 70mph. The car also had an awful whine coming from the rear motor at about 70mph, I'm hoping mine doesn't have that.

I obviously asked about deliveries, they can't see an EDD on my account because its a lease and as expected, they know nothing more than us, at least they admit this though rather than making something up. They did say that based on my order date and spec l, he'd be shocked if I didn't see a car early / mid September.

I ordered mine in the Northants Tesla showroom. They loaded the order page on an iMac and gave me the keyboard. Exactly the same process as it would have been at home.