Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - UK estimated dates and pricing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll take that bet.
That price you quote must before the grant ( since you cant have an after grant price of 49K due to the 50K cap)
the current M3 LR before grant is £49990 So you think it will be £990 less than the M3 is now? seems unlikely

Model Y will be made in Berlin with gigacastings. I think they will try to keep the price below 50k. Will probably lower model 3 price to reflect that as well.

Does anyone know if the destination and documentation fee will remain the same with shipping from Berlin and Brexit?

In theory German built cars sold in the EU with locally sourced batteries should avoid the 10% import duty.
Assuming the Brexit deal works for cars, then there is scope for a 10% price cut on Giga Berlin built cars shipped to the UK, plus reduced shipping costs compared to sitting on a ship for a month.

In theory German built cars sold in the EU with locally sourced batteries should avoid the 10% import duty.
Assuming the Brexit deal works for cars, then there is scope for a 10% price cut on Giga Berlin built cars shipped to the UK, plus reduced shipping costs compared to sitting on a ship for a month.

It’s also an opportunity for increased profit :(

I think £55k sounds about right. That or below and I'm probably in. Above that not so, as it's getting within sight of a M3P.

What's the logic with comparing it to a M3P? I would have thought you either need the extra utility of the Y or you don't. If you don't then any variant of the M3 should be more attractive than the equivalent MY version.

In my case I would prefer the Y for the extra load space and will probably swap my MX for the MY LR next year. The M3 is a second car for us with its limited boot space.

What's the logic with comparing it to a M3P? I would have thought you either need the extra utility of the Y or you don't. If you don't then any variant of the M3 should be more attractive than the equivalent MY version.

The reference to a M3P was simply a reference to the pricing levels. If the MY LR was priced at the M3P level, then the added utility of the MY wasn't worth the extra cost to me, not that I would want buy a M3P instead. In that case I would either 'make do' with a M3 LR and save £10k or keep what I already have a while longer.

In my case I would prefer the Y for the extra load space and will probably swap my MX for the MY LR next year. The M3 is a second car for us with its limited boot space.

I've been looking at the Taycan, but driving around last few days in the X I don't think I can give up this view, nor the general sense of space you get in the X. Its a shame the Y doesn't offer some of the features on X, the windscreen is like a S with the panoramic roof isnt it?

Realistically I recon we'll end up replacing the X with another X, once you get use to stuff like powered doors its hard to go back to doors you have to close by hand :).

50928815563_116cb0969d_k_d.jpg

Reactions: tess19 and PrGrPa
I've been looking at the Taycan, but driving around last few days in the X I don't think I can give up this view, nor the general sense of space you get in the X. Its a shame the Y doesn't offer some of the features on X, the windscreen is like a S with the panoramic roof isnt it?

Realistically I recon we'll end up replacing the X with another X, once you get use to stuff like powered doors its hard to go back to doors you have to close by hand :).

50928815563_116cb0969d_k_d.jpg

The MX is a great car and I too love the panoramic windscreen, the luggage space, electric doors etc. But having said that I also like the ultra-low dash in the M3, which kind of creates it's own panoramic effect, except lower down toward the road. By comparison a BMW 3-series feels like you are looking out of a letterbox, LOL. Surprisingly, my family actually prefer the back seats in the M3 and the glass roof. The back of the MX feels more closed in with the smaller recessed roof windows and dark headlining. That was something I hadn't really considered. On that basis, the MY could be an ideal compromise for us, but have to see how it goes next year. First World choices for sure!

The Taycan doesn't really interest me. It's neither sporty enough or practical enough for my taste and very expensive. I would be more interested in the EV Macan vs MY next year.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Just as an aside on this topic I was talking to a Tesla rep on the on-line chat thing earlier* and asked if he had a clue about pricing and availability. As suspected, no to both but his expectation is 'mid to late 2021' for delivery. On price, he said it was a frustration for them as well having no indication.

In other news, he said he'd put my name down for a test drive when available and would contact me for that.

*(I was asking why they have a MIC M3 LR showing a £1600 discount - he wasn't conclusive on why it's discounted and tried to claim it was probably because the car had been driven to a showroom and displayed for a while. Not convinced by that as didn't think we had any MIC cars yet, plus it only seems to have appeared on inventory 11/2?)

This is it -
2020 Tesla M3 Long Range AWD in GB listed at £49,160

Just as an aside on this topic I was talking to a Tesla rep on the on-line chat thing earlier* and asked if he had a clue about pricing and availability. As suspected, no to both but his expectation is 'mid to late 2021' for delivery. On price, he said it was a frustration for them as well having no indication.

In other news, he said he'd put my name down for a test drive when available and would contact me for that.

*(I was asking why they have a MIC M3 LR showing a £1600 discount - he wasn't conclusive on why it's discounted and tried to claim it was probably because the car had been driven to a showroom and displayed for a while. Not convinced by that as didn't think we had any MIC cars yet, plus it only seems to have appeared on inventory 11/2?)

This is it -
2020 Tesla M3 Long Range AWD in GB listed at £49,160

Looks like an error. Says it’s a 2020 car with picture of 2021. My guess is it’s really a leftover 2020 car.

I have a feeling that the Model Y might run smack into the £50k price jump bracket, where a car costing £49,999 costs £3k less than a car costing £50,001 (RRP, before the PICG).

We're already seeing this with the Model 3 P being artificially more expensive than the Model 3 LR, because one gets the PICG and the other doesn't. Ford have hit the same issue with the Mustang Mach E pricing, where the AWD version ends up costing a disproportionately higher amount than the RWD extended range version, as it goes over the £50k threshold.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa