Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Insurance Quotes Gone Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd, I’m with Direct line for my model 3, rang up earlier to get quote for early March MY delivery. She couldn’t find it listed her end at first but put me on hold for a bit and came back all fine. asking if model y long range or performance and telling me the HP.
But if a surprise with my model 3 fully comp running until end June said it would be £68 refund in switching to Y.
(My company will be registered owner)

We won’t talk about the excess though
Considering you as their existing customer, wondering if you knot this. I'm getting ridiculously high quote from DL on their website but will I get a better deal if I call them direct? Any idea please?

Considering you as their existing customer, wondering if you knot this. I'm getting ridiculously high quote from DL on their website but will I get a better deal if I call them direct? Any idea please?
Model 3 was £620 last year so guessing Y is around £550
Can’t harm ringing them (direct line)

Although I’ve been with them 2.5 years and fully loaded with no claims, no points etc. And in leafy Cheshire a nice distance from London (but maybe a bit too close to Salford!)

She didn’t say anything about discount for retaining policy.

Model 3 was £620 last year so guessing Y is around £550
Can’t harm ringing them (direct line)

Although I’ve been with them 2.5 years and fully loaded with no claims, no points etc. And in leafy Cheshire a nice distance from London (but maybe a bit too close to Salford!)

She didn’t say anything about discount for retaining policy.
Thanks. I'll call them tomorrow to explore further. I had Direct Line long time ago and Privilege for quite some time and they're not bad as a company to deal with. Worst case, I'll go with Admiral on a monthly basis and cancel once a good deal with another provider becomes available.

Hi, New to the forum, only place I could find any info on Model Y insurance, thanks to which I've succeeded in getting a quote from Admiral. Me 66 yrs old, wifey 70. All clean spotless driving histories. £855.03. Still a bit doubtful, as other insurance companies state that MY hasn't been rated by the insurance gods yet. Has someone dropped the ball?, with maybe 4000 Model Ys at Southampton docks all needing to be insured and driven away and 2 and a bit weeks to go, phew.
Ended up insuring it through Admiral for £767. Seems my son car was also with Admiral (should have known since I insured it) which reduced it from their revised quote of £958, down to £858, it also seems that my living arrangement was incorrect when I had received the comparison quote and it stated I was single. When it changed to co-habiting it went down to £767....bonkers. I also put the mrs on the insurance, not that she is ever driving it unless I've had too many one evening :) but that certainly helped also.

I gave up - have been checking prices on the comparison sites for a couple of weeks and always been double what I was paying for my last car (same performance, more expensive). Yesterday none of the comparison sites would even give me a quote so I took a DL quote I had (£700, 43, no claims/convictions, 9 yrs NCD, countryside dweller). Will figure out a cheaper option in a year when I'm sure there will be a lot more choice.
Same, DL seems to be cheapest, but still very expensive. Will be keeping an eye on this thread and switch once something reasonable appears on the market.

Quotes for Model Y for me are coming in a lot more expensive than my existing Churchill policy. Admiral coming in the cheapest but still significantly above where my current policy is. All in all very disappointing

Same, DL seems to be cheapest, but still very expensive. Will be keeping an eye on this thread and switch once something reasonable appears on the market.
Was just on the phone to DL and asked how acceleration boost would affect the premium.... very surprised to be told that they just note it on the policy and there's no increase in price! #winning 👍 😁

Hi all, I’m new to the forum. I pick up MYLR Red on 1st March and have been sent my 22 reg by text.
I have a quote from DL that I am happy with but their system doesn’t recognise my reg yet? Is this normal?
I’m used to driving away a new car with 7 days complimentary insurance from the manufacturer so trying to organise insurance on a new car in advance is different for me!

Also as I haven’t actually purchased the car yet officially I assume I cannot actually begin my policy until the day of pickup?

Hi all, I’m new to the forum. I pick up MYLR Red on 1st March and have been sent my 22 reg by text.
I have a quote from DL that I am happy with but their system doesn’t recognise my reg yet? Is this normal?
I’m used to driving away a new car with 7 days complimentary insurance from the manufacturer so trying to organise insurance on a new car in advance is different for me!

Also as I haven’t actually purchased the car yet officially I assume I cannot actually begin my policy until the day of pickup?
I collect my Y tomorrow and the Admiral policy is in place with the registration added

Its better to take insurance on a monthly basis and switch to a better deal as we should see more insurers in Q2. Even if you pay fully, they will anyway refund remaining amount so its not the end of the world.
The monthly payments are not monthly policies in most cases. You can cancel either monthly or annual policies and get a refund, just the monthly one would include interest. So the monthly payments benefit comes at the cost of added interest with most

Last edited:

Yes that's normal. Tesla have assigned that reg to your car but it won't be registered with DVLA until the day of delivery so DL's system can't look it up until then. I said that I purchased the vehicle on the date that I made the last payment to Tesla - no trade in or finance so (in my world!) that's technically correct 😁 I just put the policy start date for when I'm picking it up.

Has anyone had any information from bymiles? Their Model 3 quote (for comparison) seems very good value and I like the idea of only paying for what you use. I'm quite sure I've been over paying in insurance since working from home!
To part answer my own question, I've had a response from their support team after reaching out over their online chat:
I've been advised that unfortunately we won't be able to know whether we can insure you or not until you get your reg. plate through from Tesla (and it gets registered with DVLA). Only then we will be able to let you know if we can insure you with this new Model. I'm sorry I wasn't able to provide you with more details at the moment, but you're more than welcome to check back with us in March once you have the car reg.
So whilst I'll get back to them once I have my registration (picking up on 18th March), I'd be interested if someone who already has a registration could get the ball rolling?

Peugeot Insurance, one of the M3 favourites (my M3 is insured with them for half the price of any other quote I could get) now recognises MY on their web site, but “unfortunately we are not be able to provide you with a quote”. Will try again in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: ajbrun
Gap Insurance - I talked with one insurer who said that they offer only return to invoice rather than vehicle replacement gap insurance for EVs. The reason is that the pace of change makes it difficult or impossible to source the equivalent spec new vehicle.

Any one got insurance quotes recently ? I am trying to sort out my insurance before collecting on 10th March and getting insane quotes online. Everything has been north of 3000 ! This is my 2nd car and I am a new driver with 2 years NCB !
The insurance on my Mazda 2 was a mere 400. Am I missing a point here ? or its this high in general ? Most people were claiming 900 odd that too on a higher side.

Any one got insurance quotes recently ? I am trying to sort out my insurance before collecting on 10th March and getting insane quotes online. Everything has been north of 3000 ! This is my 2nd car and I am a new driver with 2 years NCB !
The insurance on my Mazda 2 was a mere 400. Am I missing a point here ? or its this high in general ? Most people were claiming 900 odd that too on a higher side.

They're group 50 cars - the highest group possible. Not the most expensive so perhaps they're particularly expensive to repair? Seems odd to have such a high group. My SR+ was 48, my LR is 50

How are you purchasing? I had stupidly high quotes when I listed my LTD company as the registered keeper on the quote. I've mentioned in this thread that once I changed it to myself as the registered keeper the quotes came right down, which is how it should be when purchasing through LTD company. If you're buying personally and they're that high then not sure what to say other than crap luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.