Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Mustang Mach E

Is the $7500 tax credit worth waiting months to get Mach E instead of Model Y?

• Yes

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 216 83.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Pros for Y: 3-row option, not having to deal w/ slimy Ford dealers. Talked to a few here in AZ and had to take a shower right after. Even bought a used Focus EV which I was told had 80 miles of range (luckily was able to contact the prior owner to find out severe battery batissues and return it )

Cons: Firm ride. no tax credit (unless there are proposals to bring it back?? )

Last edited:
As someone who had a reservation for a Mach-E GT but cancelled it to pick up a Model Y Performance...here are my thoughts:
  • If 90%+ of your driving is "local" and road trips are a rarity, I would recommend the Mach-E. As much as I love my MYP, I admit the Mach-E is a better overall car.
  • If road trips are a priority, I have no problem recommending the Tesla (any Tesla) over the Mach-E simply because of the Supercharger network. Despite Ford's best effort with the Ford Pass, it's still dependent upon 3rd party charger operators to ensure their CCS chargers are compatible and working. Having a Chevy Bolt and two Energica motorcycles, all of which use CCS for DC charging, the CCS charging network is still at best a work in progress.
  • In the case of the Model Y Performance vs the Mach-E GT, Ford's published range figures favors the Tesla by I believe 50-60 miles. I believe the LR variants of both have less of a discrepancy. Still, if you're trying to eke out every last mile of range, the Model Y currently holds an efficiency edge over the Mach-E.
  • In summary, personally I feel the Mach-E is the better crossover while I feel the Model Y is the better EV.

Is there anyone here that is trading their Tesla for Mach-E? I think the demo that's buying a Mach-E would probably not be buying a Tesla to begin with. It's probably for those F150 buyers who wants a "sports" grocery car or those Tesla-haters' way to get into EV without eating their own words.

Love all the out-of-spite disagreements here.

Am I missing something? Ford is not considered an American manufacturer because they produce some vehicles in Mexico, but Tesla is considered American, even though they produce vehicles in China?

The Kool-aid is strong on this forum.

you got disagrees because the Tesla cars made in China aren’t sold in the US. While the mache is made in Mexico and sold int the US vs Tesla that makes their US sold cars in the US.

no kool-aid from me considering I don’t even own a Tesla and own two Jeeps.

As someone who had a reservation for a Mach-E GT but cancelled it to pick up a Model Y Performance...here are my thoughts:
  • If 90%+ of your driving is "local" and road trips are a rarity, I would recommend the Mach-E. As much as I love my MYP, I admit the Mach-E is a better overall car.

• In summary, personally I feel the Mach-E is the better crossover while I feel the Model Y is the better EV.

what were your thoughts behind these two statements? The bullet points in between would indicate otherwise, in your own words. I can't say Mach-E is a better overall car cause I have not driven it... I do like the exterior design better than the MY.

But, I can argue MY is actually a the better crossover. Are you aware that the clearance of the Mach-E is lower than Model Y? Over cargo space of Mach-E is also less? So what features of a crossover did you think Mach-E have over MY?

No question that the supercharging network is superior. But as we look ahead...will that superiority remain?

Herbert Diess on LinkedIn: With Electrify America, we operate the largest open fast-charging | 220 comments

Also, from a service aspect, the ability to still get loaners (vs Uber credits), the ability to easily talk to a human in person or on the phone at the dealership, the ability to escalate if needed to on-site or corporate mgmt via voice and not be limited to text messaging. And of course $7500 difference.

I might not buy a Mach e GT over a Y (if I was in the market) later this year but I’d damn sure have to seriously compare the two against my needs/requirements.

you got disagrees because the Tesla cars made in China aren’t sold in the US. While the mache is made in Mexico and sold int the US vs Tesla that makes their US sold cars in the US.

Gez, buy made in america is the oldest nationalism trick politician like to pull over regular folks to incite patriotism and votes.

If you have any understanding of economy and trades, you know none of that matters. They are both American companies.

If "Made in" matters, then are Toyota/Honda/Hyundai American companies too? After all, the cars they sell in NA are all made right here.

And could you please explain why that matters in the slightest? Are the profits for the made in China vehicles or the made in Mexico vehicles not ultimately going toward the bottom line of both US-based companies?

Sounds to me like the OP and others are simply xenophobic “buy ‘Mercian” types. Even if they aren’t consciously aware.

Unless you are on an actual racetrack, an EV will use regen breaking most of the time which also makes your brake pads go a lot longer. Also means your brakes won’t fade coming down a long mountain grade.

My Tesla has what, 60kW regen? My I-Pace is over 200 kW. It's like dropping a parachute at 100 mph. Ditto for the Porsche Taycan.

Even the Porsche needs big brakes when you must stop right now.

I also concur that Tesla’s tech is ahead with frequent updates. That’s good.

But to me, sometimes stability is ok and I probably fall in the camp that doesn’t require frequent updates. An update that reduces the size of critical symbols (speed, cruise info) then gets fixed in the next update...means those were two updates that did not need to happen. (Sometimes it’s OK to just leave well enough alone. Sometimes.)

And while “fire” updates that were actually primarily to allow fart sounds outside the car are cool, I not my wife Will most likely never use that “feature”.

Who knows? Without such unnecessary bloat it’s quite possible that Ford may not have a MCU issue in the future that requires a federal recall...

And could you please explain why that matters in the slightest? Are the profits for the made in China vehicles or the made in Mexico vehicles not ultimately going toward the bottom line of both US-based companies?

Sounds to me like the OP and others are simply xenophobic “buy ‘Mercian” types. Even if they aren’t consciously aware.
We have huge numbers of unemployed Americans in this country. I REALLY like how Tesla is employing those who need to work unlike many American manufacturers

Gez, buy made in america is the oldest nationalism trick politician like to pull over regular folks to incite patriotism and votes.

If you have any understanding of economy and trades, you know none of that matters. They are both American companies.

If "Made in" matters, then are Toyota/Honda/Hyundai American companies too? After all, the cars they sell in NA are all made right here.

Tell us that next time you are trying to assemble something from China with horrible instructions and the wrong fasteners. :D

We have huge numbers of unemployed Americans in this country. I REALLY like how Tesla is employing those who need to work unlike many American manufacturers
Why don’t you look up how many workers Ford employs in the US.

Oh, and they are able to unionize without threats of being fired by the CEO.

Stop pretending like Tesla is a shining beacon of worker’s rights. Why don’t you tell us how you feel about the CEO forcing workers to come into the factory for long hours, in close proximity, without proper COVID precautions in place?

Am I missing something?

Aren’t we all :) are but life goes on...

I like that I bought a car made in the USA, because my purchase helped support my ‘local economy’.

When someone buys a Telsa made in China; in China - they get to support their local economy as well.

A car bought in Mexico, but sold in USA or Europe, not so much.

My guess is 80% of Tesla and Ford vehicles are assembled by machines anyhow, but for some people supporting local economy is important even if it in small amounts.

No question that the supercharging network is superior. But as we look ahead...will that superiority remain?

My guess is ‘YES’ for at least the next 5-8 years possibly much longer. (But I am just some dude on the internet so what do i know)

Legacy car manufactures are trying to ignore the charging issues related to long distance traveling and passing it off to someone else to deal with, how are they going to ensure the up-keep on a 3rd party charging network - they won’t care once you drive your care off the lot.

maybe it doesn’t matter but to the OP it sounds like one of the factors when comparing each car could be that one is made in Mexico and one is made in US. You might not care but I am assuming it might carry some weight in the decision process.

not sure why Toyota, etc would be considered American companies but the fact they make cars in the US and employ US workers might carry some weight for people when buying a Toyota.

Might even help Tesla in Germany once they start spitting out cars there.

Ultimately I am not sure i even care but I would assume a decent amount of people do.

maybe it doesn’t matter but to the OP it sounds like one of the factors when comparing each car could be that one is made in Mexico and one is made in US. You might not care but I am assuming it might carry some weight in the decision process.
Right. And I’m just pointing out that is a nationalist-inspired head fake. “Buy American”.

Fine if that’s what inspires your purchasing decisions but just realize it’s completely nonsensical.

Ford and Tesla are both American companies who employ people within the borders of the US and outside and also produce vehicles inside and outside the US.

Stop pretending like Tesla is a shining beacon of worker’s rights. Why don’t you tell us how you feel about the CEO forcing workers to come into the factory for long hours, in close proximity, without proper COVID precautions in place?

lol, what? Where did this come from? Did I miss a post that said Tesla is a shining beacon of workers rights?

anyways. Way off topic.

to get back on topic...if the Mach e meets all of your needs it might be worth waiting.

for me I am not sure it would be enough to make me choose it over the Y. Supercharger network being a huge factor. But I would seriously consider it. If the federal rebate gets extended to the Y then it would probably be an easy decision for me.