Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Mustang Mach E

Is the $7500 tax credit worth waiting months to get Mach E instead of Model Y?

• Yes

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 216 83.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which one are you thinking about getting?
Premium Extended Range AWD. When I started looking last summer, I was thinking GT. Test drove a Model Y and that was it for me. Decided I didn't want to wait. I think the Premium AWD is the closest to the LR Model Y - same acceleration and similar range (despite the claims by Tesla). Fast enough for me and I have learned that extra range is super important...

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Premium Extended Range AWD. When I started looking last summer, I was thinking GT. Test drove a Model Y and that was it for me. Decided I didn't want to wait. I think the Premium AWD is the closest to the LR Model Y - same acceleration and similar range (despite the claims by Tesla). Fast enough for me and I have learned that extra range is super important...
Solid I went back and forth on the extended range for a couple days trying to decide

I've driven both Teslas and CCS cars in the Western US.
Everyone claims CCS is terrible. I'm guessing they haven't used it on a 200mi+ real range EV.

It depends on what you are willing to surrender. The usable kWh on the Ford is 88kWh, it has 360° view, blindspot tech, and better cellular integration. But I am puzzled why Ford didn't have an HUD option or truly upscale seating option.

Probably because they need to leave room for an upcoming Lincoln EV.

I'm still surprised at the drop. We precondition and set charge to 90%. This route is mostly NYS Thruway (I-90) and speeds were kept around 70mph. Non-aggressive acceleration (wife driving, I'm a different story...). Heat kept around 68. Outside temps in the 30 and 40's. Wonder what they would be this week when we expecting single digit temps.

Understood on the lack of heat pump in the Mach E.
Supposedly, Ford did not game the range estimates the way Tesla does and the reviews are reporting ranges much more in line with the EPA estimates. Recently, there was one article that reviewed the car on a long ski trip to Vermont and they seemed satisfied with the real-world winter range. .

• Disagree
Reactions: SSonnentag
Supposedly, Ford did not game the range estimates the way Tesla does and the reviews are reporting ranges much more in line with the EPA estimates. Recently, there was one article that reviewed the car on a long ski trip to Vermont and they seemed satisfied with the real-world winter range. .

Neither Tesla nor Ford set the official range estimates. The EPA does that across the board for all vehicles sold in the USA, using the same standardized tests.

• Disagree
Reactions: pt19713
Neither Tesla nor Ford set the official range estimates. The EPA does that across the board for all vehicles sold in the USA, using the same standardized tests.
Not true. Each manufacture has some flexibility with the "fudge" number.

Regardless of the fudge number, the EPA needs to update the highway test and increase it to 65mph. It's an outdated specification since highways haven't had a max speed of 55 mph in decades.

Seems like the Machi is a pretty nice offering from Ford.

Since it is new, most of the faults are still to be discovered.

Biggest draw seems to be from fans of Ford and some that have owned previous Mustangs, and want to try out the new electric one.

Biggest down side is that they are unable to use the fantastic Tesla SuperCharger network and need to deal with a hodge poge of on the road charging options.

...if you don't want to read it all, tldr: EPA allows a 30 percent adjustment factor and Tesla takes advantage of that to the fullest.

I found the EPA procedure and see the adjustment methods. I don't see where Tesla or any manufacturer has any latitude on how to apply an adjustment method (e.g using a different adjustment factor like 20%). Frankly it is hard to believe that a manufacturer would pick an adjustment method that reduces its EPA number below the one that produces the best result. So, I find it hard to accept your implication that Tesla does something unique or particularly nefarious.

• Disagree
Reactions: Needsdecaf
I found the EPA procedure and see the adjustment methods. I don't see where Tesla or any manufacturer has any latitude on how to apply an adjustment method (e.g using a different adjustment factor like 20%). Frankly it is hard to believe that a manufacturer would pick an adjustment method that reduces its EPA number below the one that produces the best result. So, I find it hard to accept your implication that Tesla does something unique or particularly nefarious.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but from what I know, the EPA only requires the manufacturer to run UDDS1, HWY1, HWY2, SS1, SS2. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on this subject. The thing to look at is the UDDS (Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule. Note, the Tesla report lists 3 additional UDDS cycles, which is allowable by the EPA and also note the Weighted factor above the standard 0.25. Tesla is using 0.327, or roughly 30.8%. This gives Tesla a boost of an additional 22.28 miles on their range rating of 315 miles. Take that 22.28 miles away and it's 293 miles, roughly. Essentially Tesla is stretching the range rating further by including those additional cycles. Perfectly legal based upon the process. Granted, the EPA rating is achievable but that would require the end user to do urban-style driving.

IMO the EPA needs to rework the whole process and make the HWY test to be run at a higher speed and to eliminate the option for the manufacturers to include the three additional urban cycles.

Let me know if that helps.
upload_2021-2-10_13-1-14.png

Reactions: Needsdecaf
I test drove a Model Y. The driving dynamics were surprisingly good. The noise was really bad though, far worse than the Model 3 and other EVs. I would give Mach-E a good look, though being a first gen, first year car there are a lot of unknowns.

I can see how you may not like the calculation procedure. I see nothing that shows Tesla is doing anything illegal such as VW did on it's diesel testing and that Ford was sued for doing on it's diesel trucks or that they admitted to doing on their CMax hybrids. Ditto Hyundai and Kia and their settlement with the U.S.government. Again I don't think that there is a single manufacturer that doesn't evaluate their vehicle by every permissible method to find the one that gives the best results.

Reactions: laservet