Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model3Tracker.info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great Idea. I would purchase a free-for-life package.
Unfortunately...? The days of 'FREE... for LIFE!' Supercharger access may well be numbered, despite my feelings on the subject. The recently announced 'deadline' of January 1, 2017 for Ordering, and April 1, 2017 for Delivery, makes it seem as if it may go away for all future Tesla Motors vehicles. That seems like a step backward to me, after it being offered on all Generation II vehicles since the Model S 70D was introduced. It seems to be a nod toward the 'level-headed realists' (AKA Naysaying Pessimists) who continually claim, "It can't possibly last forever!" I have always disagreed with those who refuse to accept the concept of Utopia in favor of Dystopia. Thus, I remain your Friendly Neighborhood Over-the-Top Optimistic Tesla Motors Certified Apologist Fanboy, and stuff.

Unfortunately...? The days of 'FREE... for LIFE!' Supercharger access may well be numbered, despite my feelings on the subject. The recently announced 'deadline' of January 1, 2017 for Ordering, and April 1, 2017 for Delivery, makes it seem as if it may go away for all future Tesla Motors vehicles. That seems like a step backward to me, after it being offered on all Generation II vehicles since the Model S 70D was introduced. It seems to be a nod toward the 'level-headed realists' (AKA Naysaying Pessimists) who continually claim, "It can't possibly last forever!" I have always disagreed with those who refuse to accept the concept of Utopia in favor of Dystopia. Thus, I remain your Friendly Neighborhood Over-the-Top Optimistic Tesla Motors Certified Apologist Fanboy, and stuff.
I hear what you are saying and like you I am a Certified Fanboy as well.

And my fanboyism reminded me that at one point I never thought Unlimited Data would ever return to my cell phone network.

I never thought that after the sub prime mortgage collapse of a few years ago would ever allow a person to borrow over 100% of the value of their home.

Competition has quickly allowed both to happen again not 6 years after their sunset. Its going to be an interesting EV market when Tesla gets some serious competition.

Reactions: Red Sage
Model3Tracker.info Summary Statistics as of 2016-11-19 10:00 PST: Range lovers remain supreme

Recent Observation: Since the announcement of the full self driving hardware, many contributors who've come back to update their record are moving towards having this feature activated. The ratio of enhanced Autopilot vs. Full Self Driving may be under reported. Its proving to be popular with new contributors too.

DHIh8ff.png

• Informative
Reactions: MissAutobahn

For those who have already bought Tesla's the reality is you paid for the "Free miles for life" as part of the base cost of the car. Nothing is ever really free. From the way I read the whole announcement it sounded like after 1/1/17 new car buyers will get a 1000 (approximately) miles each year for life and if they want more they will have to pay for them. So if you want unlimited miles for life it will probably be an option.

I understand their reasoning. First there is a big problem with people using their local charger on a regular basis. The Supercharger network was designed for long distance travel. People charging on their local charger is "clogging" the system.

The second issue is there are people who will rarely user a supercharger. Like people who use their car for their daiy commute less than 125 miles each way. They may take a vacation once or twice a year and drive 250+ each way to go to the beach or to the mountains but that's it. The 1,000 free miles is perfect for this.

With over 500,000 Tesla's going to be made in 2018 they have to do something to keep those regularly using Superchargers to a minimum. If not people are going to be frustrated really quick. What we don't want to see is lines a block long to charge your car.

P.S. Still having problems with my Model X. Getting really frustrated with my local service center and regional management.

For those who have already bought Tesla's the reality is you paid for the "Free miles for life" as part of the base cost of the car. Nothing is ever really free. From the way I read the whole announcement it sounded like after 1/1/17 new car buyers will get a 1000 (approximately) miles each year for life and if they want more they will have to pay for them. So if you want unlimited miles for life it will probably be an option.

I understand their reasoning. First there is a big problem with people using their local charger on a regular basis. The Supercharger network was designed for long distance travel. People charging on their local charger is "clogging" the system.

The second issue is there are people who will rarely user a supercharger. Like people who use their car for their daiy commute less than 125 miles each way. They may take a vacation once or twice a year and drive 250+ each way to go to the beach or to the mountains but that's it. The 1,000 free miles is perfect for this.

With over 500,000 Tesla's going to be made in 2018 they have to do something to keep those regularly using Superchargers to a minimum. If not people are going to be frustrated really quick. What we don't want to see is lines a block long to charge your car.

P.S. Still having problems with my Model X. Getting really frustrated with my local service center and regional management.

@ our work place, we started with free (and still free) 8, 110v, 12amp (~1kW/hr) plugs in premium parking spots with 1 EV/PHEV, to when I retired 5 years later, 80-100 EV's/PHEV's (and still 8 charging plugs, 110v, 12 amp)
Plug in Prius would sit in the spaces for 8+ hours, Volts also. (the 2 teslas never eve charged)

The unfortunate reality is you have to charge $$/money for charging, even if nominal or 10-20% more than retail electrical rates to ensure there is not "charger hogging" or whatever you may term it.

Superchargers, even if we pay to use to travel, will most likely be much less expensive than gasoline, when I get my Tesla for my 2,000 - 3,000+ mile trips, since i charge my PHEV 99.9% at home @ 14cents/kWh plus my PV array

I guess I'm kind of the exception in that I was glad when they announced that charging would have to be paid for/limited.
Living in N. Cal, I'd much rather pay a small fee and be able to charge than have a long wait or not be able to charge at all.

I've seen multiple Model S parked at free public chargers (level 2) OVER NIGHT when I wanted to charge but couldn't. If nobody abused privileges, we wouldn't lose them, but human nature being what it is.......

Reactions: Jaff
The second issue is there are people who will rarely user a supercharger. Like people who use their car for their daiy commute less than 125 miles each way. They may take a vacation once or twice a year and drive 250+ each way to go to the beach or to the mountains but that's it. The 1,000 free miles is perfect for this

This perfectly describes me.

@ohmman: Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Reactions: wilhelmspencer
New Release: Estimated Pricing Beta
Estimate Pricing Beta Feature: Options now show an estimated pricing model.
This is only speculation and provides a guesstimate only. In most cases, this will exclude all taxes and fees, unless otherwise noted.

For the beta, the following countries will also have an estimated configuration total.

• Canada
  • United States
  • Germany
  • Australia (with NSW estimated tax included price)
  • Norway
Note: The exchange rates used are currently based a Tesla Model S as of January 15, 2017. Examples:

Euros conversion for a Model S stands around 1.18 and options around 0.95

Canada conversion for a Model S stands around 1.40 and options around 1.35

You can now also optionally enter your Model 3 budget for your configuration or provide your maximum budget.

To view the pricing options, view your existing reservation. The pricing will show in the configuration section. A cost section follows, which will show your current total.

If you are adding a new reservation, the pricing options in the configuration section will also show your local currency (for the beta countries above) and total in the cost section after you submit your record.

Last edited:
New Release: Estimated Pricing Beta
Estimate Pricing Beta Feature: Options now show an estimated pricing model.
This is only speculation and provides a guesstimate only. In most cases, this will exclude all taxes and fees, unless otherwise noted.

Perhaps I am being dense, but where is this?

I even logged in to the Model 3 Tracker, and couldn't find it.

Thanks!