Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Molded mud flaps arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received mine from the same ebay seller hallucinate purchased from. Box was all banged up, but thankfully had screws and fasteners. There were no instructions however, anyone have any lying around? Feel like I could piece it together, but if its supposed to come with instructions, would prefer that

I don't believe anyone received instructions. I didn't. Did yours have a toxic smell? Mine did!

I added a little 3M double sided tape at the top of the front flaps in addition to the screws and it seems to keep it from moving around without the tape. There's a little bit of a gap on both sides at the top of the flaps though...

Cross-posting from another thread. I installed the eBay ones (bought at amazon actually) on my P3D- and am very happy with the protective performance so far. However, I'm concerned about range impact.

I'm not ready to point the finger at the flaps yet, as I took off the aero caps at the same time and don't have a big dataset, but I am trying to hunt down the source of a big increase in consumption over the past week or so...

Distance / Time / Avg Speed / Max Speed / Outside Temp / Efficiency
2.64 0:12 12 mph 37 mph 69.4 F 284 Wh/mi (78.3%)
2.64 0:12 13 mph 34 mph 66.5 F 324 Wh/mi (68.7%)

Anyone else have any data before/after flaps? Would love to eliminate them as a variable.

Cross-posting from another thread. I installed the eBay ones (bought at amazon actually) on my P3D- and am very happy with the protective performance so far. However, I'm concerned about range impact.

I'm not ready to point the finger at the flaps yet, as I took off the aero caps at the same time and don't have a big dataset, but I am trying to hunt down the source of a big increase in consumption over the past week or so...

Distance / Time / Avg Speed / Max Speed / Outside Temp / Efficiency
2.64 0:12 12 mph 37 mph 69.4 F 284 Wh/mi (78.3%)
2.64 0:12 13 mph 34 mph 66.5 F 324 Wh/mi (68.7%)

Anyone else have any data before/after flaps? Would love to eliminate them as a variable.
Making 2 changes at the same time will complicate which change is greater. if efficiency is important to you, put the aeros back on and collect several datapoints first

As I mentioned in my previous post awhile back, I went ahead with the rubberized eBay ones (bought on Amazon). Data point from what I got with mine:
-- No nasty smell at all
-- Definitely not a flexible as the pics show (like you're wringing it like you would a towel)
-- No instructions
-- Plenty of extra screws and clips
-- Flaps were well-packaged and no damage to the packaging box.

As for installation, I'll include some pics of the rears, as the front pics I took came out all blurry. I already had full PPF on my front fenders, and recently installed lower doors and rocker panel PPF myself. So the fronts could be installed, as I didn't want to install them without PPF protecting the paint underneath the flaps. I installed the right front first, and like some people had happen, when I started drilling a pilot hole, the fender plastic moved back further into the fender, causing the pilot hole to be a bit off. This caused the top of the flap to not be as flush to the car as I had hoped. What I then ended up doing was to pull the fender plastic around and out of the well a bit, to basically let it sit on the edge of the painted part of the wheel well. I then slipped a paper towel coated piece of plastic between the edge of the painted part of the fender and the back of the black plastic fender piece, as a wedge. This prevented the plastic fender from moving backwards when I drilled a new pilot hole. It worked like a charm, and now that flap is perfectly flush. Repeated this process for the other front side.

For the rears, because I didn't have any PPF on the rear bumper, I ended up cutting a piece of PPF and traced it to the same lines as the flap. I installed the PPF leaving about 1/4" inch beyond the edge of the mudflap.

They are definitely doing their job and protecting the paint on the rockers and the lower doors. Definitely an absolute mod if you care about your paint.

Pics coming soon.

Thanks,
-- Cintoman

Reactions: MacGreiner