Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting what Morton grove is saying on twitter regarding matching orders to cars. They used to do it earlier in the production process but it let to slower ship times, so now they allocate during shipping:

"Early days they did match cars to customers right after production. Big issue with that is then you can't do large batches of one color, one spec, one battery size = low prod. run rate. and longer waiting times as intl. shipments would have to be collected from multiple batches."

The trouble with this VIN assignment during shipping is people don't know they've been assigned a car, so assume they haven't and ask to be switched to an inventory car. I reckon the inventory cars are overflow, and I get why they are added to inventory (makes no sense to just have un-allocated cars on a ship), but at the time of them being added surely it would make more sense to confirm all allocations on the ship...doesn't feel like that's happening.

I've not been asked to be assigned an inventory car, despite my exact spec being listed several times within the last few weeks, because feel like I've already been assigned and asking to switch could actually cause more problems and confusion. Just going to ride out the Tesla chaos and hope for the best.

Maybe I'm totally wrong and will end up with no car for months, but will take that up with an angry call with Tesla after these two ships arrive and I'm left with no car, but I have a gut feeling that won't happen.

I have another VIN - different from last time, I think. broker said I will receive the car "early to mid November" and the car will be with Tesla at the end of this month, so am guessing it's on the Dahlia? I had a VIN when it cleared the panama then it disappeared. Not sure when the new one showed up as have been away since Saturday morning.

Is there any reason not to switch to an inventory car over waiting on it being allocated from a ship? Other than perhaps collection logisitcs/distance.

There is a black black sr+ available. But it's 900 miles from me
In theory there is a possible downside that means you could wait even longer:

If you had a car assigned to you (Tesla have assigned it, but not told you and given the VIN yet) that is on the Grand Dahlia, and one comes up on inventory that is on the Grand Pioneer, you could ring up, switch to it and delay your order by weeks as the Pioneer is behind the Dahlia. The person you speak to may not even know which ship your original order was on so would just re-assign the vehicle causing weeks of delay. They will assign you the car/VIN as it makes no difference to Tesla, looks good on them from a customer service perspective and they know your original order will be re-assigned or put into inventory and snapped up anyway.

Just becuase Tesla assigned you an inventory car doesn't mean it will get to you a car quicker - we don't actually have the info to make that judgement. We don't know why cars are added to inventory, where these cars come from, what ship they are on (or even if they are on a ship), why they haven't been assigned to someone in the queue, when they will be delivered/arrive in the UK etc. That's a lot of unknowns.

The above are reasons i've not asked to be assigned an inventory car. Just going to wait, stay positive and let the car make its way to me...eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: NigelT
Just becuase Tesla assigned you an inventory car doesn't mean it will get to you a car quicker - we don't actually have the info to make that judgement. We don't know why cars are added to inventory, where these cars come from, what ship they are on, why they haven't been assigned to someone in the queue etc. That's a lot of unknowns.
We kind of know, though. Plenty of people ordered inventory cars before the end of September and were collecting them a week later. I ordered one 10 days ago (presumably on the Grand Dahlia) and within a couple of days had a final invoice with the same VIN as the inventory page, and haven’t had any changes since then, so I’m pretty confident I’m going to be collecting a car in the next three weeks.

There do seem to be rather a lot of people posting on this thread that are leasing, and that does seem to introduce a whole other layer of misinformation (in terms of VINs appearing and disappearing, and just not knowing what’s happening).

Alrighty so this at least goes some way to proving my theory that the last batch of "existing inventory" was on the Grand Dahlia - this batch ought to be cars on the Grand Pioneer.

You could stick a deposit on one and then cancel the original, or phone Tesla to ask to be matched to a particular one (when they're open - pretty rubbish that this stock appears on a Sunday evening!) If anyone opts to do this, it'd be interesting to know what the ETA is. This is what I did (phoned them) when I saw my spec a week and a half ago.

I have a theory I've mentioned previously that the "existing inventory" being shipped across are cars that aren't going to be allocated to any order. Out of thousands of cars on the ship, there are currently 43 on the inventory page. The rest will probably be getting assigned VINs once the ship leaves Panama. So if you opt to wait, similarly it'd be interesting to know if/when you get a VIN.

If a car matching your spec shows on the website, and you wait but don't receive a car from this ship, that would suggest they're deliberately offering up some cars to generate extra orders at the expense of making people wait longer.
Won't work they don't let you order the same spec now for a year to stop this exact thing as it's going to be screwing with their logistics

Won't work they don't let you order the same spec now for a year to stop this exact thing as it's going to be screwing with their logistics
Plenty of people seem to have done it, with the assistance of the Tesla customer service department, and we’ve even seen quoted email from Tesla saying “please order the inventory one and we’ll move the £2,000 you already paid for the original one onto this one”.

We kind of know, though. Plenty of people ordered inventory cars before the end of September and were collecting them a week later. I ordered one 10 days ago (presumably on the Grand Dahlia) and within a couple of days had a final invoice with the same VIN as the inventory page, and haven’t had any changes since then, so I’m pretty confident I’m going to be collecting a car in the next three weeks.

There do seem to be rather a lot of people posting on this thread that are leasing, and that does seem to introduce a whole other layer of misinformation (in terms of VINs appearing and disappearing, and just not knowing what’s happening).
We don't have accurate information about every single car that was ordered in inventory (i.e. not everyone who ordered from inventory will post on this forum).

While some people did post that they got their cars right away, we can't take that as confirmation that every car in inventory is avalible immediately, or even gets to you quicker. For alll we know there may be double the amount of cases that caused delays in orders, we just didn't hear about it.

Leasing does seem to be working differently - most people leasing on here saw their VIN for a day and then it dissapeared like mine did. Who knows what that means...

Well.. Tesla just cancelled the inventory order I made last night over the phone saying they were all a glitch in the system and shouldn't of shown up. Just as well I didn't cancel my original order I guess :(
You were lucky you didn't cancel that order...that would have sucked.

This just highlights my point - we don't know anything about these inventory cars, it's a total gamble to order one over an existing order in my opinion.

Reactions: Chickenlips
Hi all - long time lurker on the forum but thought I would post now I have some hopefully useful information.

I'm leasing and like many others had a VIN for a day last week which then disappeared. Same VIN came back on Friday and held steady since. Spoke to Tesla this morning and they advised I have been matched and the car is about to stop in Belgium before coming to the UK (so I assume Dahlia) and that collection would likely be first/second week of November. Still not official as I don't have paperwork but have spoke to the lease company this morning to make them aware and hopefully they will talk to Tesla. So lease people should start getting VINs again now in theory...

• Informative
Reactions: Cowpring
Hi all - long time lurker on the forum but thought I would post now I have some hopefully useful information.

I'm leasing and like many others had a VIN for a day last week which then disappeared. Same VIN came back on Friday and held steady since. Spoke to Tesla this morning and they advised I have been matched and the car is about to stop in Belgium before coming to the UK (so I assume Dahlia) and that collection would likely be first/second week of November. Still not official as I don't have paperwork but have spoke to the lease company this morning to make them aware and hopefully they will talk to Tesla. So lease people should start getting VINs again now in theory...

Very interesting - spec/order date?

I have just had an online chat with customer services as to why the exact model I ordered was in the inventory and not allocated to me this is the reply.

"You can always have a look at our inventory vehicles and choose one from there as we are getting more stock. Unfortunately we are not matching customized orders with the inventory list."