Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For reference, here's what was showing on the "existing inventory" page when I had looked earlier (still have the page open). If you're waiting for one of these and you don't hear anything after the Grand Pioneer has been and gone, that'd suggest there may be some cars being shipped for inventory purposes only.

(Car, Exterior, Wheels, Interior, AP/FSD, Tow)
SR+, White, 18" Aero, Black, AP
SR+, MSM, 18" Aero, Black, AP
SR+, Blue, 18" Aero, Black, AP
SR+, White, 18" Aero, White, AP
SR+, Black, 18" Aero, Black, AP
SR+, Blue, 18" Aero, Black, AP, Tow
SR+, MSM, 18" Aero, White, AP
SR+, Blue, 18" Aero, White, AP
SR+, Black, 18" Aero, White, AP, Tow
SR+, Red, 18" Aero, White, AP
SR+, Black, 18" Aero, Black, FSD
LRAWD, White, 18" Aero, Black, AP
LRAWD, Black, 18" Aero, Black, AP
P-, Black, 18" Aero, Black, AP
LRAWD, Blue, 18" Aero, Black, AP
LRAWD, White, 19" Sport, Black, AP
P-, Black, 18" Aero, White, AP
LRAWD, White, 18" Aero, White, AP, Tow
LRAWD, Black, 18" Aero, White, AP
LRAWD, Black, 18" Aero, Black, AP, Tow
LRAWD, Red, 18" Aero, Black, AP
LRAWD, MSM, 18" Aero, Black, AP, Tow
LRAWD, Blue, 18" Aero, White, AP
LRAWD, MSM, 19" Sport, Black, AP
LRAWD, White, 19" Sport, Black, AP, Tow
LRAWD, White, 19" Sport, White, AP
LRAWD, Red, 18" Aero, Black, AP, Tow
LRAWD, Black, 19" Sport, White, AP
LRAWD, Red, 19" Sport, Black, AP
LRAWD, MSM, 19" Sport, White, AP
LRAWD, Blue, 19" Sport, Black, AP, Tow
LRAWD, Black, 19" Sport, White, AP, Tow
LRAWD, MSM, 19" Sport, White, AP, Tow
P+, Black, 20" Performance, Black, AP
P+, White, 20" Performance, Black, AP
P+, White, 20" Performance, White, AP
P+, MSM, 20" Performance, White, AP
P+, Blue, 20" Performance, White, AP
LRAWD, Black, 18" Aero, Black, FSD, Tow
LRAWD, Black, 19" Sport, Black, FSD
LRAWD, Black, 19" Sport, Black, FSD
LRAWD, Blue, 19" Sport, Black, FSD
P+, Blue, 20" Performance, Black, FSD

Where I've noted P+ this was the cars with "performance upgrade", which I think is what P+ is?

To be honest, I'd be surprised if they've cleared their backlog. I'd like to be optimistic and think that these really are surplus cars that aren't waiting to be matched, but at the same time deliberately allocating a few cars to "existing inventory" even if there are outstanding orders seems like a "clever" sales tactic to give the illusion that there is already stock available. Put it this way: I looked at the inventory before ordering originally, and I saw there were no Model 3s there, so I placed a custom order. People will probably look at inventory first. These are sure to sell pretty quickly, particularly if the wait time is not as long. The result would be that some additional sales have been made, at the expense of waiting time for people who already paid their deposit (I guess very few would cancel at this stage?)

The other possibility is that their systems don't handle order changes or cancellations properly and leave some cars unallocated, even if they could be matched. Factory builds a bunch of cars intended for particular orders, some get cancelled or changed meanwhile but the original car could still be allocated but to an order that is no longer relevant to it. Might require someone to go through them to sort out the mess but it's easier to just put things in inventory rather than figure out who else might want the car (e.g. customer A cancels, customer B matches that spec, if they match the car to customer B, customer B's originally planned car then becomes available, if they match it to customer C, their originally planned car becomes available, and so on...)

All of this is guesswork though, based on these two points:
1. Companies want to generate sales
2. Computer systems do weird things sometimes and manual intervention in such cases tends to be "what's the easiest way to resolve the situation"
This is what I fear too - that Tesla intentionally put cars in inventory while leaving exiting orders outstanding.

It's a gamble for them though. Sure people will wait months for this car, it's worth the wait, but to keep people waiting and waiting with no information at all will lead to order cancellations. Sure they can probably get them sold right away by putting the car back into inventory, but seems like bad business practice to me.

Honestly if my car isn't on the Grand Dahlia or Grand Pioneer I'd consider cancelling. I'm starting to loose my patience with this.

But lets see, the Dahlia has about 4,000 Model 3's on board. I'm still positive for orders up to mid August to be on the Dahlia.

P

I got caught out by this when the last batch hit. My exact car was on there but I still had no vin. I phoned up Tesla and asked them to switch my deposit to the inventory car but by the time I got through and emailed them the details the car had gone.

In their response letting me know the car was gone they actually told me just to buy it through the website and they will then subtract the first deposit later (which is what I have just done now). For full transparency this is what the Tesla rep emailed me

“The best thing I can advise at the moment is to order the car using the website and we can deduct the original 2k from the final invoice as you'll have to transfer the remainder soon. That will ensure you get that particular car and saves you missing out!” Thomas @ Tesla

I hope this is sound as I have now just put a deposit on an inventory car that matches my spec in the hope I can cancel the original order and pick this inventory one up asap. Is this what others have done too?

I hope this is sound as I have now just put a deposit on an inventory car that matches my spec in the hope I can cancel the original order and pick this inventory one up asap. Is this what others have done too?

I hesitated in doing this when I saw a P- that was otherwise the exact same spec as I wanted (LRAWD) and someone else bought it. I was later told that I could've ordered from inventory, put the deposit down, and then cancel my existing order. Obviously it means paying the deposit two times but you get the original deposit back eventually.

If you want to make sure your car is on one of the next couple of boats and don't want to endure the rollercoaster ride of VINs appearing and disappearing it makes sense to order from the inventory or ask to be switched to one of those cars.

I've also now made a note of the VINs for 37 of the cars that were still showing on the inventory earlier, against each of the cars that I previously listed. VINs range from 423xxx to 542xxx.

This is an absolute joke though. Existing orders should not need to worry about new orders leapfrogging them

Couldn’t agree more but

I did exactly the same. I have emailed tesla to ask them to cancel my first order and will update when I get a response (hopefully tomorrow morning)

Has anyone had a VIN allocated today?

Considering switching to an inventory car with my exact spec minus FSD but want to make sure that an exact match isn't on any of the upcoming ships.

Thanks
I ordered 8th of August and still no VIN. I phoned on Friday and they said they expected to finish assigning this weekend, probably finishing up on Monday. Hoping that I get it tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: JCremonini
I hesitated in doing this when I saw a P- that was otherwise the exact same spec as I wanted (LRAWD) and someone else bought it. I was later told that I could've ordered from inventory, put the deposit down, and then cancel my existing order. Obviously it means paying the deposit two times but you get the original deposit back eventually.

If you want to make sure your car is on one of the next couple of boats and don't want to endure the rollercoaster ride of VINs appearing and disappearing it makes sense to order from the inventory or ask to be switched to one of those cars.

I've also now made a note of the VINs for 37 of the cars that were still showing on the inventory earlier, against each of the cars that I previously listed. VINs range from 423xxx to 542xxx.

I don't suppose you wrote down the vin for the SR+, MSM, 18" Aero, Black, AP. I have ordered it, but didn't think to write it down before hand.

I don't suppose you wrote down the vin for the SR+, MSM, 18" Aero, Black, AP. I have ordered it, but didn't think to write it down before hand.

I've just sent you a private message with it :)

Re: shipping... Grand Pioneer remains at anchor south of the Panama Canal. A pilot vessel approached it earlier and seemed to also be visiting other vessels.

Still looks like some Teslas will arrive in Southampton on the 28th:
SuperFurry on Twitter

• Love
Reactions: Chickenlips