Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this sounds very plausible, but I'm sorry, I don't understand what most of it means. Way over my head.

VIN numbers need to be registered for each car built. To date only 1300-1500 have been registered that we are aware of for right hand drive vehicles. And there are other RHD markets opened recently, not just UK. There are also EU orders to be fulfilled so the ships haven’t be all RHD UK vehicles.

I too am hopeful that some vehicles on the grand mark have yet to have their VINs allocated, but suspect if we don’t hear anything this week, it could be a while before delivery.

Last edited:
VIN numbers need to be registered for each car built. To date only 1300-1500 have been registered that we are aware of for right hand drive vehicles. And there are other RHD markets opened recently, not just UK. There are also EU orders to be fulfilled so the ships haven’t be all RHD UK vehicles.

I too am hopeful that some vehicles on the grand mark have yet to have their VINs allocated, but suspect if we don’t hear anything this week, it could be a while before delivery.
I think you need to check model 3 vins only 442 RHD model 3 vins have been registered

I think you need to check model 3 vins only 442 RHD model 3 vins have been registered
Model 3 VINs had at least 1000 RHD VINs registered as of May 31st
Model 3 VINs on Twitter
However since then as far as that feed estimates only 400 Model 3's after then were international (unknown if LHD/RHD)

So estimated population of RHD Tesla's is 1000-1400 currently (or that's how I read it?)

Reactions: -DB-
Remember nobody quite knows what the RHD / LHD numbers are from the Grand Mark. Its all speculation. Its also highly likely that delivery teams / service centres will not know what they have available to allocate until they literally arrive. If you read the other European waiting room threads they were all in limbo without vins and then were receiving calls to arrange collection for the following week, suggesting the service centres had to wait to see what arrived.

Reactions: -DB-
Remember nobody quite knows what the RHD / LHD numbers are from the Grand Mark. Its all speculation.

If the RHD VINs (public record) are right that is a clue

If it turns out that there are a whole load of RHD on the Grand Mark then it will debunk the VIN Twitter Feed

Its also highly likely that delivery teams / service centres will not know what they have available to allocate until they literally arrive.

Clearly Tesla knows how many RHD they made :) so training and tooling-up will be happening.

If you read the other European waiting room threads they were all in limbo without vins and then were receiving calls to arrange collection for the following week, suggesting the service centres had to wait to see what arrived.

When LHD first arrived in EU (indeed, "even now") Tesla had the opportunity to decide which Service Centres they would go to - including which EU country ...

For UK RHD there are only a handful of Service Centres.

So its either Tesla Chaos, Tesla Marketing (its sure getting plenty of Column Inches here ... elsewhere too I expect), or deliberate management policy - to allow them to shift from foot-to-foot keeping Wall Street happy and living hand-to-mouth / being reactive rather than proactive. That could be in terms of Service Centre training / readiness etc. ... or ability to make End of Q2 announcement "We are shipping to RHD country so loads of back-order deliveries in Q3" but are aware they are going to shaft people who ordered by having no RHD cars to deliver in UK until September, having got the use of their Order Deposit in the meantime.

I'll be very happy to be proven wrong

Reactions: goRt
For AWD LRs on continental Europe the web site was giving estimates of "May" until the 3rd of June or so...the estimates are not particularly good ;-).

The UK site stills says July.
Just got off the phone with a sales chap from Birmingham Digbeth store.
He says realistically, orders placed now will be looking at a September/October delivery date (also said that if I were to change my order from Performance + to Performance - I would be placed at the back of the queue again. Bummer.)

I wonder where this "demand cliff" is that they keep talking about... :p

One might even use the word deceptive.

I see the problem as being that Tesla haven't invested in (or if they have they haven't done a good job!) the online experience.

The website is nothing like flexible enough for their business model. Management changes its mind on price etc. (or maybe not, maybe they actually had a plan ... maybe even communicated it to the Web Team ...) and overnight the website is a mess, totally incapable of matching reality.

I suspect someone has to manually go in and change that delivery date ... it really must be that bad, otherwise it would change automatically depending on inventory etc.

So I don't think its any different to the faded sheet sellotaped to a shop window about some announcement that has long since passed ...

No excuse of course, and I find it staggering that they haven't sorted the Web Experience out, as it could put them a League ahead of their competitors in that regard, and save then a shed load of money by reducing the number of people calling up and asking questions. Ho!Hum!

Sadly we have a massive full order book, so even if Elon calls I'm going to have to turn him down :oops:

I see the problem as being that Tesla haven't invested in (or if they have they haven't done a good job!) the online experience.

The website is nothing like flexible enough for their business model. Management changes its mind on price etc. (or maybe not, maybe they actually had a plan ... maybe even communicated it to the Web Team ...) and overnight the website is a mess, totally incapable of matching reality.

I suspect someone has to manually go in and change that delivery date ... it really must be that bad, otherwise it would change automatically depending on inventory etc.

So I don't think its any different to the faded sheet sellotaped to a shop window about some announcement that has long since passed ...

No excuse of course, and I find it staggering that they haven't sorted the Web Experience out, as it could put them a League ahead of their competitors in that regard, and save then a shed load of money by reducing the number of people calling up and asking questions. Ho!Hum!

Sadly we have a massive full order book, so even if Elon calls I'm going to have to turn him down :oops:

Agreed and even worse now they have committed to an online only sales model. The online ordering system needs to be flawless and accurate to pull it off without annoying the customers.

He says realistically,

Anyone who uses that word is trying to apply some fudge factor to historical data. The answer is that, 'realistically', possibly no one in the UK is told anything about these things, and certainly not the sales advisors; most of these things are decided in Fremont and Fremont keeps that information very close to its chest (very typical for a US company). But "we don't know" doesn't sit well with customers, and no one ever complained about getting their car early, so being conservative about delivery times has no downside for that person.

To be frank, if you're trying to convert an order from P+ to P- --which has a lower per-car margin--, I don't expect a car salesman/woman to ever paint you anything but a worst-case picture; in that respect Tesla is just like any car dealer ;-).

The UK site stills says July.
Just got off the phone with a sales chap from Birmingham Digbeth store.
He says realistically, orders placed now will be looking at a September/October delivery date (also said that if I were to change my order from Performance + to Performance - I would be placed at the back of the queue again. Bummer.)

I wonder where this "demand cliff" is that they keep talking about... :p

The guy in a store was telling me July/August in May when the website said June so maybe he was more informed than most

The guy in a store was telling me July/August in May when the website said June so maybe he was more informed than most

Same, was it in West Drayton?

The follow up call I had 2 weeks ago said to expect another call in July, and they would "try to fit me in late July". I expect another ship in Q3 - takes 3 weeks to sale from SF to Europe. So if there is a ship that leaves before 5th, they could potentially deliver on 31st.