Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering what effect Brexit might have on deliveries after 31st October, seeing as that's where we are heading with the next ships.

The cars would enter the EU via Zebrugge, but then technically leave the EU again (if we do leave on the 31st) when being shipped to the UK.

Being a hard Brexit, and talk of chaos in terms of shipping, goods entering the UK without trade agreements in place etc, I wonder if this will have a negative effect, possibly delay deliveries.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

They might just keep the UK vehicles on the ship and make a call at Southampton before/after Zeebrugge as was happening toward end of September.

Depends at what point the cars are "officially" in the EU though. If they remain on the boat, I doubt it'd count. If they are just being stored in the shipping area are they technically not past the border at that point?

In shipping news:
Grand Dahlia still at pier 80. Should be setting off soon from what I've read but no idea exactly when.
Grand Pioneer is at Tacoma. Expected in San Francisco on 9th October.
Not aware of any other shipping activity occurring currently.

• Informative
Reactions: anon37485
I've been told early Nov, I now have Birmingham as a centre, I gave Leeds, Heathrow and Birmingham as options and Heathrow is looking very busy apparently. It begs the question are more cars going to London and the south or are people requesting Heathrow because anecdotally that is where they are supplied quickest??
This is what is frustrating, early reservation holder tho didn’t configure a car till mid July when white became free . Live in Belfast , picked Edinburgh pick up . Edinburgh was avoided in the end of Q3 rush , so do I assume logically they will see decent quantity of cars delivered as they were shunned last time or will it just be more of the same with Heathrow targeted to the point were people can nearly buy and collect a car same day down there !!

They might just keep the UK vehicles on the ship and make a call at Southampton before/after Zeebrugge as was happening toward end of September.

Depends at what point the cars are "officially" in the EU though. If they remain on the boat, I doubt it'd count. If they are just being stored in the shipping area are they technically not past the border at that point?

In shipping news:
Grand Dahlia still at pier 80. Should be setting off soon from what I've read but no idea exactly when.
Grand Pioneer is at Tacoma. Expected in San Francisco on 9th October.
Not aware of any other shipping activity occurring currently.

Gentle leader also allegedly on its way to SFO.

What have they been doing up until now - unloading all the cars at Zeebrugge, then shipping them here on a separate ship?

From what I've seen/read, yes. Shipped from San Francisco to Zeebrugge, then that ship goes off somewhere else and the cars are delivered here by some other ship (don't know which one/s specifically.)

Toward quarter-end, the ships were sometimes going to Southampton after, or to other places in Europe. Presumably in these cases, the cars remained on the ship since it would mean the cars get to wherever they are going a bit faster.

Anyone else know more about how it works, feel free to chip in if I'm wrong on any of this!

The cars would enter the EU via Zebrugge, but then technically leave the EU again (if we do leave on the 31st) when being shipped to the UK.

If they are doing the same as we are at work then the goods will be transitting through the EU but not imported there and no EU duty paid. The official import will be done when they land in the UK and will pay 10% duty at that point, as if they shipped directly from US to UK.

Called Edinburgh SC yesterday asking about likely delivery date. Got through straightaway which was good. Was told there was a ship due the end of the month - presume that's the Grand Dahlia that's busy loading right now at Pier 80 SFO. Today I have Final Invoice #3 in my account with an estimated delivery of November 8. New VIN on Invoice - same VIN also in SC now. Fingers crossed that this is my actual Final Invoice!

FYI - he mentioned there are still a few cars from previous shipments at the Heathrow SC & he was checking to see if there were any in my spec that he could get brought up to Edinburgh for me. I'm guessing there weren't any as today I have the new invoice with a delivery date that's over a month away. Sigh.

M3LRAWD White/Black AP.
Ordered August 1. 1st VIN & Invoice scheduled delivery Sept 30, 2nd Inv del was Oct 9 & SC VIN disappeared. 3rd Invoice del Nov 8 & new VIN on Invoice & SC.

• Informative
Reactions: anon37485
I was told there would be a significant quantity of cars at the month end which were loading in San Fran now.

Told I should be in that allotment (ordered for Edinburgh mid July white SR+).

After these arrivals there would be a steady stream of vehicles. Interesting Tit Bits - said cars loading in Philly was to get as much to GB in Q3 and no current plans for more from Philly.

Most interesting bit of news was that the cars are coming direct to GB from USA .... (Brexit)

Grand Dahlia was apparently going to depart from San Francisco yesterday but remains moored at pier 80. Heard it was heading for Zeebrugge so I guess coming to Southampton after that?

Bit odd why they didn't just ship directly to the UK anyway rather than offload and then put them on another boat? I suppose they have capacity there for charging lots of them at the same time but still...

Grand Pioneer should be the next one at San Francisco, due on 9th October. It's heading there now.

On Twitter I see they filled the whole pier up and we're continuing to bring more cars, probably in prep for the next ship. Not all Model 3s - a load of X's were seen heading that way as well.

First time I'm tracking a ship from San Francisco to Zeebrugge so when I saw Balboa as the destination I wasn't sure what was going on - then noticed that's in Panama so all good!

Having spoke to Tesla this morning my car is apparently at the docks (Southampton maybe?) in the UK? Does anyone know how long the process is from cars arriving in the country to a collection date? I’m through octopus so have to wait for them to inform me of a pick up date as opposed to straight from Tesla. Thanks.

Grand Pioneer has arrived at SFO, now at Pier 80, should be loading about now.

These photos were posted on twitter 13 hours ago. RHD Model 3s have been separated into their own area of the dock - could signify that they will stay on the ship which could carry on to the UK, rather than unloaded at Zeebrugge and put on a different ship...perhaps that will save a few days.

At time of posting the dock was 85% full.

Grand Dahlia still en-route to Panama, expected arrival Sunday 13th October before onward journey to Zeebrugge.

Two more ships inbound to SFO with unknown final destinations, and two more unknown ships have appeared on the spreadsheet.

Looks like Tesla are finally going to clear this backlog of orders within the next two months.

Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (2).png

My broker spoke to Tesla this morning - although my vehicle is still not assigned, Tesla confirmed that it will definitely be assigned this month - so delivery end of October, early November.

Last edited:
Grand Pioneer has arrived at SFO, now at Pier 80, should be loading about now.

These photos were posted on twitter 13 hours ago. RHD Model 3s have been separated into their own area of the dock - could signify that they will stay on the ship, rather than unloaded at Zeebrugge. At time of posting the dock was 85% full.

Grand Dahlia still en-route to Panama, expected arrival Sunday 13th October before onward journey to Zeebrugge.

Two more ships inbound to SFO with unknown final destinations, and two more unknown ships have appeared on the spreadsheet.

Looks like Tesla are finally going to clear this backlog of orders within the next two months.

View attachment 463766 View attachment 463767

My broker spoke to Tesla this morning - although my vehicle is still not assigned, Tesla confirmed that it will definitely be assigned this month - so delivery end of October, early November.

when was your order placed? iv been bounced back month by moth so im expecting the same ship myself now.