Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there are several of us with 448*** VINs that have appeared in the last day or two. As I recall (but please correct me if I am wrong) this batch of VINs was issued on 12th July. Given that you need the VIN number to build a car (it is permanently fix to the car during building) it seems a bit unlikely that this bunch of cars were built in time to make it onto the Glovis Champion which left SFO in the early hours of 25th July.
Thirteen days. It's not impossible? I assume each individual car spends only a few hours on the production line.

Glovis Champion is scheduled for arrival at the Panama Canal on 2 August.

The Triumph Ace went through the PC on 22 July. Arriving Zebrugge on 2 August.
So that’s about 11 days transit time.

So depending on how long it takes at PC for Glovis Champion then 15 August is roughly right.
Looks like i missed out on Glovis Champion and Triumph Ace- any idea if the next one( presumably loading soon?? ) is that the SFL conductor? Thanks Leo

We don't know if SFL conductor is the next EU boat or not. It could be.. Won't really find out until it leaves, which is likely to be 3-4th August.
Thanks Tony- I take it you are still waiting too? Curiously I drove from Devon to Hampshire and back and did not see 1 single Tesla of any description.. I guess it's easy to forget how few there are about over here, with us all patiently in a queue waiting..

Well.. I have a VIN now so am probably on the champion, but there's always the possibility of that being reassigned & ending up on a later one.

There are only about 200 model 3s and the S and X aren't exactly common sights. Wait until the end of august and you'll see a few model 3s about I'm sure.

So there are several of us with 448*** VINs that have appeared in the last day or two. As I recall (but please correct me if I am wrong) this batch of VINs was issued on 12th July. Given that you need the VIN number to build a car (it is permanently fix to the car during building) it seems a bit unlikely that this bunch of cars were built in time to make it onto the Glovis Champion which left SFO in the early hours of 25th July. So at best they will be on the next boat (maybe the SFL Conductor if she is coming this way). This means that Tesla are now allocating VINs before the cars are loaded on boats, which seems to be a new system? Anyone with a VIN number from this series had a text or email with delivery date?

The VINs were registered, not issued, and I assume there is a difference.. I would have thought the cars were given a numerical VIN as they were built, and that after they finished building them, they registered the VIN numbers.. so could easily have made the champion, as they were built by the 12th

The VINs were registered, not issued, and I assume there is a difference.. I would have thought the cars were given a numerical VIN as they were built, and that after they finished building them, they registered the VIN numbers.. so could easily have made the champion, as they were built by the 12th

That would certainly make a difference. Presumably once a builder (Tesla) has a unique identity on the VIN register for a particul
ar model they could submit whatever numerical VIN they like and there would be no ambiguity. But if that was the case you would expect the model 3 VINs to form a continuous series, which they don't. Maybe the numerical bit hides some information. Who knows? Maybe Tesla (maybe not!)

New user from Ireland with a M3 P+ on order in white, black interior. It seems all the RHD cars on the Triumph Ace & Glovis Champion are destined for the UK - not one M3 delivered to Ireland yet and delivery dates keep getting pushed back now. Latest estimate is October now for delivery here

So there are several of us with 448*** VINs that have appeared in the last day or two. As I recall (but please correct me if I am wrong) this batch of VINs was issued on 12th July. Given that you need the VIN number to build a car (it is permanently fix to the car during building) it seems a bit unlikely that this bunch of cars were built in time to make it onto the Glovis Champion which left SFO in the early hours of 25th July.

They make around 1,000 cars a day, so the entire of that VIN batch could very easily be registered, manufactured and loaded onto Glovis Champion. Indeed from the delivery emails being received by people with VINs in that range there definitely are some on Glovis Champion.

That would certainly make a difference. Presumably once a builder (Tesla) has a unique identity on the VIN register for a particul
ar model they could submit whatever numerical VIN they like and there would be no ambiguity. But if that was the case you would expect the model 3 VINs to form a continuous series, which they don't. Maybe the numerical bit hides some information. Who knows? Maybe Tesla (maybe not!)

I think the last part of the VIN is a general numerical sequence for all Tesla models, so while it may not be continuous for the model 3, it probably is across all of the production they do. I have a friend who worked for Tesla, and he said he would ask some old colleagues about the status of the VIN I have in source code.. he was shocked that the VINs were above 500k now, which I assume means that the number of cars has significantly increased since he was there (and the model 3 production started ramping up)

Reactions: MrBadger
I've had Marine Traffic for yonks although occasional user only. Never had to pay for it, but I've always been restricted to a limited sized fleet. Looks like app is offering me to pay 99p for enhanced info, but even without paying, I can still track it so not sure what that 99p gives me?

iirc that Marine traffic is not doing anything other than aggregating freely available AIS data and displaying it on a map in a user friendly way. Charging for app, yes, but not the data.

I think the last part of the VIN is a general numerical sequence for all Tesla models, so while it may not be continuous for the model 3, it probably is across all of the production they do. I have a friend who worked for Tesla, and he said he would ask some old colleagues about the status of the VIN I have in source code.. he was shocked that the VINs were above 500k now, which I assume means that the number of cars has significantly increased since he was there (and the model 3 production started ramping up)

There is a thread somewhere on here on how to decode the VIN but basically the 1st three digits 5YJ indicate Tesla. The next digit indicates the model which for a Model 3 is 3. So the VIN for a Model 3 starts 5YJ3. The VIN allocations that are reported elsewhere are for Model 3s.

1A9E7AB1-5CD7-4ED5-8DC0-13EE70A78CCC.jpeg
as seen on reddit. a rhd allegedly at pier 80

Reactions: -DB-