Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope Tesla can get as many to the UK before Brexit

You never know, we might get a trade deal with US and they will get cheaper....

Non EC Manufactured Cars - 10% import duty

EC you pay £50 flat fee

So after Brexit, when we are allowed to negotiate a different trade deal with US you could see a 5-10% price drop. Bear in mind that 20% VAT is also mandated by EU, so that could go down too.

It really will all depend on what UK Gov want to do after that. Certainly the price wont go up - even if the pound falls lower (it's already @ 1.21) it unlikely it'll drop to 1.1 or even 1.

Of course, none of that could happen, we could raise import tax even higher, who knows...

One thing is certain, German cars will get a bit more expensive.

I hope Tesla can get as many to the UK before Brexit !! That will be fun and games after 31st October.. unless the transporter docks in the UK first!! hmm complicated

Worst case, scenario drop in the value of the pound, contracts not in place, more money requested and general delays.
Best case, reduction in EU bureaucracy leads to faster delivery, plus no import duty. All attempts by any government to reduce bureaucracy and legislation seem to just increase it

They could probably have 1500 on each ship (just under 50%) to clear everything by 31st of September.

Do bulk purchasers / Car Leasing companies play a factor here? Would like to think they have a single invoice/ avoid the retail purchase system for 1500 Pearl White M3s, perhaps explaining the latest dock photos of lots of white cars, TMC Forum UK Tesla Model 3 Orders Shared seems to show a mix of colours.

You never know, we might get a trade deal with US and they will get cheaper....

We might... eventually. Hopefully all the back order 3's are delivered before 31st Oct and that gives all of us with one 3-10 years (depending on your new car candence) before that trade deal needs to be in place. Given our current rate of progress on anything what so ever, I'm not sure that is long enough :(

Do bulk purchasers / Car Leasing companies play a factor here?

Probably. They are not as easy to steamroll, unlike individuals. All those EST candidates seem to be getting better delivery date info - probably because they need that to release the funds, but that could be just my imagination.

The EU does require member states to set a minimum of 15%

TIL... So unlikely they will ever go down, as promised ages ago by Mr. Cameron...

Still, I can't imagine prices going up as supply goes up.

Probably. They are not as easy to steamroll, unlike individuals. All those EST candidates seem to be getting better delivery date info - probably because they need that to release the funds, but that could be just my imagination.

TIL... So unlikely they will ever go down, as promised ages ago by Mr. Cameron...

Still, I can't imagine prices going up as supply goes up.

surely you don't believe what a politician has said?

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
SFL Conductor is now departing Pier 80 San Francisco for Zeebrugge via the Panama Canal.
It's due to arrive at the western entrance of the canal on the evening of the 13th but at the moment it's not expected to transit the canal until the 15th. Which unless it tries to make up the lost time means it won't arrive at Zeebrugge until 26 August.
Now I don't believe anybody would want delivery on the 30th or 31 August - not even me!
So standby for some wacky Tesla 1 Sep delivery madness!

SFL Conductor is now departing Pier 80 San Francisco for Zeebrugge via the Panama Canal.
It's due to arrive at the western entrance of the canal on the evening of the 13th but at the moment it's not expected to transit the canal until the 15th. Which unless it tries to make up the lost time means it won't arrive at Zeebrugge until 26 August.
Now I don't believe anybody would want delivery on the 30th or 31 August - not even me!
So standby for some wacky Tesla 1 Sep delivery madness!
Lost track of their quarterly dates -is end of Sept their end of quarter figures though?

[...]
Now I don't believe anybody would want delivery on the 30th or 31 August - not even me! So standby for some wacky Tesla 1 Sep delivery madness!

The cars have got to get charged and transported from Zeebrugge, to the UK and to the relevant delivery centre. Tesla UK will likely still be delivering cars from Glovis Champion in early September. I'd expect deliveries from SFL Conductor not to start until w/c 9th Sep.

Lost track of their quarterly dates -is end of Sept their end of quarter figures though?

Yes. Based on past performance they won't want cars on ships / undelivered at end of Sep, so we'll probably get one more boat (leaving SF around 20th Aug, arriving Zeebrugge around 17th Sep), but my guess is that it will only contain as many RHD cars as they believe they can deliver before the end of Sep. You'd then expect a gap with no ships leaving until around 10th October, for deliveries in the UK w/c 4th November.

Now, Tesla has said in previous earnings calls that they want to stop that behaviour at the end of the quarter, and the drop in US tax benefits may help it happen this quarter, but who knows ...