Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move Over Tesla. Here Comes Cadillac.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then Joshua Brown- and that chinese road cleaner -accidents are also possible with it. But supposedly Cadillac is better at checking drivers alertness than Tesla was prior to Joshua Brown accident.

No. The Cadillac system can see stopped vehicles. It's radar is more advanced. MobilEye is not the only technology company GM works with on the Cadillac, it's just one of them. Cruise Automation is now a division of GM. And GM has been in development prior to 2012.

MobilEye is in my daughter's 2013 Chevy and our shop 2017 Chevy.

Driving down a 4-lane road in the #1 lane. There are a line of cars waiting in the left turn bay. My speed 45-50 mph. The #2 car in line pulls out in front of me in a 90° cross-traffic move to make a right turn across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic from the left turn bay. Normally this is an instant collision since the distance was perhaps 10 car lengths and the driver did not check for oncoming traffic.

When the threat moved 1 foot into the #1 lane in front of me, the HUD (Chevy) fired off 6 bright LEDs across the windshield with an alert sound and instrument display.
The brake pedal was very easy to push to ABS max (step one is enhanced assist, step two is emergency braking), and I easily missed the car. If I did not hit the brakes, the car would have. Most cars would not have reacted quick enough to a 1' over the line threat.

I suppose all cars do that today, but I must say the GM system is pretty good.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and NerdUno
So you say that Audi lies on their own website? That's exactly where that quote comes from. Their L3 product is 35 mph and controlled access. Go tell Audi they are wrong.

Audi Newsroom (para 7)

PS - The S-C nagging is speed sensitive. At 70mph it is a few seconds.

You said they were the same thing and that "the Cadillac's system being more advanced.. more powerful."

and that Audi were simply throwing around the word L3 but that is 100% false.
They are fundamentally different as one you can watch a movie in or play games with your kids and the other you cant.

No. The Cadillac system can see stopped vehicles. It's radar is more advanced. MobilEye is not the only technology company GM works with on the Cadillac, it's just one of them. Cruise Automation is now a division of GM. And GM has been in development prior to 2012.

MobilEye is in my daughter's 2013 Chevy.

GM uses mobileye eyeq3 tech exclusively for their camera.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
GM uses mobileye eyeq3 tech exclusively for their camera.
First, on the Cad it's plural and multi-sensor frequencies and technologies. Exclusively is very misleading when it has 360° cameras in our 2016.

MobilEye's single is in my daughter's 2013 Chevy and our shop 2017 Chevy.

Driving down a 4-lane road in the #1 lane. There are a line of cars waiting in the left turn bay. My speed 45-50 mph. The #2 car in line rapidly pulls out in front of me in a 90° cross-traffic move to make a right turn across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic from the left turn bay. Normally this is an instant collision since the distance was perhaps 10 car lengths and the driver did not check for oncoming traffic.

When the threat moved 1 foot into the #1 lane in front of me, the HUD (Chevy) fired off 6 bright LEDs across the windshield with an alert sound and instrument display.
The brake pedal was very easy to push to ABS max (step one is enhanced assist, step two is emergency braking), and I easily missed the car. If I did not hit the brakes, the car would have. Most cars would not have reacted quick enough to a 1' over the line threat.

All it probably saved was an accident report though. I nail the brakes and steer, so I'd probably be struck by the car behind in the #2 lane unless they saw the threat also. The extra time the HUD gave me allowed me to check my mirror while braking hard. So I didn't have to swerve away from the threat.

First, on the Cad it's plural and multi-sensor frequencies and technologies. Exclusively is very misleading when it has 360° cameras in our 2016.

MobilEye's single is in my daughter's 2013 Chevy and our shop 2017 Chevy.

Driving down a 4-lane road in the #1 lane. There are a line of cars waiting in the left turn bay. My speed 45-50 mph. The #2 car in line rapidly pulls out in front of me in a 90° cross-traffic move to make a right turn across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic from the left turn bay. Normally this is an instant collision since the distance was perhaps 10 car lengths and the driver did not check for oncoming traffic.

All it probably saved was an accident report though. I nail the brakes and steer, so I'd probably be struck by the car behind in the #2 lane unless they saw the threat also. The extra time the HUD gave me allowed me to check my mirror while braking hard. So I didn't have to swerve away from the threat.
Is GM using Mobileye for processing or are they "pulling a Tesla" and just taking the data and doing something else with it? I think @Bladerskb is saying they only use what Mobileye is providing as a part of the EyeQ3 package. Or maybe I am misunderstanding.

Is GM using Mobileye for processing or are they "pulling a Tesla" and just taking the data and doing something else with it? I think @Bladerskb is saying they only use what Mobileye is providing as a part of the EyeQ3 package. Or maybe I am misunderstanding.

Whatever GM is doing, it will see cross traffic and stopped traffic as a threat, and will slam on the brakes fully to avoid an impact.

This is based on personal, in the car experience, and the experience of others. Not tweets.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Pouring money into a L2-system that relies on Big Brother'ing the driver seems quite temporary, though.

It depends on what your quality objectives are:

1. Permits fully distracted driving at all times.
  2. Can avoid frontal collisions at all times.
  3. Will stand NHTSA scrutiny when a deadly accident occurs.
  4. Safety is the primary quality objective, not enhancement of distracted driving.

Cadillac will most likely flunk 1.
Currently Tesla is in flux due to a failure of 1 and 2.
Audi is unknown. 35 mph on interstate controlled access is already controlled by many cars on the road today.

Cadillac requires your head to be pointed forward every once an awhile. If your head is not pointed forward, there is a serious risk of severe neck injury in an airbag deployment.
If your head is not pointed forward every once an awhile on a trip, I would suppose there is a serious risk of severe neck pain afterwards indeed :). More seriously, I really look forward to an objective back-to-back comparison of both systems (plus the Audi, BMW and Mercedes ones). Haven't seen one since months and I somewhat suspect it's not a priority for the automobile magazines.

If your head is not pointed forward every once an awhile on a trip, I would suppose there is a serious risk of severe neck pain afterwards indeed :). More seriously, I really look forward to an objective back-to-back comparison of both systems (plus the Audi, BMW and Mercedes ones). Haven't seen one since months and I somewhat suspect it's not a priority for the automobile magazines.

You would have to observe your fellow drivers today to understand why your head should be upright.
Many people have their head leaned forward significantly as they text. It resembles a position you'd take to see if you pee'd yourself.

I've seen people go right through red stoplights in this position, so a normally survivable impact might be lethal or render you quadriplegic.

I do not agree with combination of airbags and texting. Luckily, airbag injuries and deaths are exempt from liability.

But much like gas-guzzlers, people find texting while driving "compelling" today. It is a very desirable method of transportation. Lemmings apparently feel the same way about cliffs overlooking the ocean.

find a GM website.... google "old dino cars we don't want anything new just buy them trucks and suvs guzzle guzzle"

Did you know GM has vastly higher MPG in their 'guzzlers' than Save The Planet Toyota does?

Compare Side-by-Side

Note the Suburban is a 9 seat SUV. 9 Adults. This is largest of all SUVs (siblings: Yukon XL, Escalade ESV)

GM has spent a lot of resources making high BSFC engines. Toyota just makes crap because it's green even at 15 mpg. It's all about marketing. GM is guzzlers, and everybody else has successfully saved the planet.

You are a prime example of somebody who only knows marketing claims and has never done any research of actual metrics. Which is most of the public.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Did you know GM has vastly higher MPG in their 'guzzlers' than Save The Planet Toyota does?

Compare Side-by-Side

Note the Suburban is a 9 seat SUV. 9 Adults. This is largest of all SUVs (siblings: Yukon XL, Escalade ESV)

GM has spent a lot of resources making high BSFC engines. Toyota just makes crap because it's green even at 15 mpg. It's all about marketing. GM is guzzlers, and everybody else has successfully saved the planet.

You are a prime example of somebody who only knows marketing claims and has never done any research of actual metrics. Which is most of the public.
Imagine how much better the 'Burban would be with the Voltec drivetrain....

I'm not a big fan of SUV's but there certainly could be a market for a GM 'Green' SUV if somehow GM could shake the World's Dirtiest Car myth. Until that myth is gone, GM could make a 100 mpg Escalade and sell less than 1,000 units.

Trivia - GM made Silverado pickups and Tahoes (shorter wheelbase Suburban) with hybrid powertrains about 13 years ago. Nobody would buy them.

Here's where GM could actually shine:

Make a PHEV that truly makes sense for towing or work commuting.

Take the 445 horsepower / 910 lb.-ft. diesel and mate it with 20 kWh and 200HP worth of EV assist-on-demand / Eco mode.

This will allow an All EV range of 40 miles for commuting. Or can be used passing power on steep grades, bumping the power to 645 HP for several miles, then use regen as as KERS system.

The greenest hipo engine in GM's inventory mated with a big dose of instant throttle (cough) response for passing.

Yes, the truck will be expensive. People are used to paying big bucks for the Duramax trucks because they are the best towing platforms.

Here's where GM could actually shine:

Make a PHEV that truly makes sense for towing or work commuting.

Take the 445 horsepower / 910 lb.-ft. diesel and mate it with 20 kWh and 200HP worth of EV assist-on-demand / Eco mode.

This will allow an All EV range of 40 miles for commuting. Or can be used passing power on steep grades, bumping the power to 645 HP for several miles, then use regen as as KERS system.

The greenest hipo engine in GM's inventory mated with a big dose of instant throttle (cough) response for passing.

Yes, the truck will be expensive. People are used to paying big bucks for the Duramax trucks because they are the best towing platforms.
Why not go the other way? 500 hp worth of Electric drivetrain and a 200hp backup generator....