Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move Over Tesla. Here Comes Cadillac.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point was that all of these technological advances have failed to make GM world class in anything. So why don't you tell us again about the Bolt's groundbreaking features like over the air updates (whoops, not available), or why GM's best selling car (Chevy Cruze) is such a world beater that it sells less than the Camry, Civic, Corolla, Altima, Accord, Elantra, Sentra or Fusion.

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

But clearly you don't know much about business. It's like talking investments with a hairdresser.

Investing is to running a real business as tree climbing is to buffaloes. Not closely related.

When something goes wrong in a business, you get your hands dirty. When something goes wrong investing, you file BK.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
Used AP2 for about 50 miles 4 lane highway yesterday. Tried to kill me 3-4 times where I needed to take over. It was at night and missed curves a couple times, and got dangerously close to semi or sidewall the other times. You need to hold the wheel constantly, it would be very dangerous to let go of the wheel on AP2. This wasn't the case for AP1 where you would feel relatively safe taking your hands off the wheel. Nags to touch the wheel every 1 minute are unacceptable. Perhaps every 5 minutes would be OK or if the car gets confused. Cadillac seemingly will be superior due to lack of nags if you have your eyes open.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno and MS16
Used AP2 for about 50 miles 4 lane highway yesterday. Tried to kill me 3-4 times where I needed to take over. It was at night and missed curves a couple times, and got dangerously close to semi or sidewall the other times. You need to hold the wheel constantly, it would be very dangerous to let go of the wheel on AP2. This wasn't the case for AP1 where you would feel relatively safe taking your hands off the wheel. Nags to touch the wheel every 1 minute are unacceptable. Perhaps every 5 minutes would be OK or if the car gets confused. Cadillac seemingly will be superior due to lack of nags if you have your eyes open.

I like the sound of the Caddy system better too. Even when I have my hands on the wheel of my AP1 car, I need to jiggle the wheel for the system to realize I'm there.

It seems too easy to knock GM in this forum and I have contributed criticism as well. But the San Francisco autonomous car and other experiments in Michigan and Arizona are very impressive. GM is being very cautious and slowly releasing self-driving , like this Super Cruise. Can't blame them. 1 GM self-driving accident with a death will be bigger than anything Tesla has had to deal with. I applaud Tesla's bold attitude but it is risky.

Reactions: NerdUno and GSP
It seems too easy to knock GM in this forum and I have contributed criticism as well. But the San Francisco autonomous car and other experiments in Michigan and Arizona are very impressive. GM is being very cautious and slowly releasing self-driving , like this Super Cruise. Can't blame them. 1 GM self-driving accident with a death will be bigger than anything Tesla has had to deal with. I applaud Tesla's bold attitude but it is risky.
My personal gripe is the refusal to put their tech in all their vehicles at the same time. How long before we can get super cruise in a GMC Sierra?

My personal gripe is the refusal to put their tech in all their vehicles at the same time. How long before we can get super cruise in a GMC Sierra?

I would guess about the same time they put the Allison transmissions in the Cadillacs? Wait... There is a couple. The Presidential Limos have Cadillac bodies on Kodiak frames powered by the Duramax/Allison combo.

Seriously, the Denali line will probably be the first GMCs to see Super Cruise, not normal Sierras.

What I don't get here is this is very similar to how AP1 operated when it was released. Then everyone freaked out and Tesla had to add more dramatic warnings to tell you to put your hands on the wheel. And, truth be told, you can still ignore all the warnings and keep your hands off the wheel for a decent amount of time before you get detention. So, is everyone going to freak out at GM now and make them dial down the hands-free thing or is this going to free up Tesla and let them go back to the original system, which worked just fine if you were a reasonably cautious driver?

What I don't get here is this is very similar to how AP1 operated when it was released. Then everyone freaked out and Tesla had to add more dramatic warnings to tell you to put your hands on the wheel. And, truth be told, you can still ignore all the warnings and keep your hands off the wheel for a decent amount of time before you get detention. So, is everyone going to freak out at GM now and make them dial down the hands-free thing or is this going to free up Tesla and let them go back to the original system, which worked just fine if you were a reasonably cautious driver?

No, because the fundamental difference is how the two systems determine a driver is paying attention.

With the Tesla AP they use torque on the steering wheel. So it's assumed the driver is paying attention simply if they have their hands on the steering wheel.

With Supercruise it uses a camera facing the driver. So it's still going to nag you, but it's going to nag you when you're caught looking away for too long.

Essentially AP was hands free by ignoring the lawyers. It was fun while it lasted, but lawyers always win in the end.

Supercruise is hands free by always watching you. The multimedia system should always have the song "Every Breath you take" ready to play.

Reactions: Matias
No, because the fundamental difference is how the two systems determine a driver is paying attention.

With the Tesla AP they use torque on the steering wheel. So it's assumed the driver is paying attention simply if they have their hands on the steering wheel.

With Supercruise it uses a camera facing the driver. So it's still going to nag you, but it's going to nag you when you're caught looking away for too long.

Essentially AP was hands free by ignoring the lawyers. It was fun while it lasted, but lawyers always win in the end.

Supercruise is hands free by always watching you. The multimedia system should always have the song "Every Breath you take" ready to play.

I sure seems like GM is taking on a fair amount of liability too, because their system is supposed to know if you are not paying attention, so, in theory, you could just ignore the road and leave the rest up to GM... if it thinks you're not paying attention it gives you a warning. In GM's situation, if something goes wrong, the driver can claim the system screwed up because it did not warn them fast enough. Look at the video at how many times the driver takes his eyes off the road. I think the lawyers will be licking their chops over the potential for Super Cruise lawsuits.

What if I wear sun glasses?

Optional Cadillac feature lets you sleep and engage Supercruise at the same time:

pop-out-eye-dropping-eyeball-glasses-horror-terror-scary-partyprank-joke-9502-6720143-0cf849a0939bf49d6774318ac21443d2.jpg

I sure seems like GM is taking on a fair amount of liability too, because their system is supposed to know if you are not paying attention, so, in theory, you could just ignore the road and leave the rest up to GM... if it thinks you're not paying attention it gives you a warning. In GM's situation, if something goes wrong, the driver can claim the system screwed up because it did not warn them fast enough. Look at the video at how many times the driver takes his eyes off the road. I think the lawyers will be licking their chops over the potential for Super Cruise lawsuits.

I agree with you that the Lawyers are licking their chops. When a lawyer is there to take something away from you is when you know something is worth having. :) So in a sense it legitimizes SuperCruise as being something cool.

But, will the lawyers win the inevitable lawsuit?

What hurt Tesla was the name Autopilot, and the assumptions that the general public made about it. Not only that, but the media fanfare around Tesla. When a Tesla crash happened the first thing that anyone would ask is "was it on autopilot" as if that completely changed the nature of the accident.

Essentially there seemed to be a general feeling among the public that somehow the car was responsible. Even though that was flat out wrong.

With Cadillac I'm not sure anyone is all that interested. I am interested since I think it's a novel technique, and I'm curious about how people will react to it. I don't believe the mass majority will even bother asking "was it on supercruise" when a crash happens. So if anything happens it's going to be way more masked than with Tesla.

As a result the public is more apt to think of it as Level 2 where the responsibility is on the driver. There isn't the hype that oversells it.

I don't doubt that there will be people who misuse it, and who will sue. But, it's not like GM doesn't deal with that all the time. Whether it's a legit lawsuit or not. I also doubt it will get much media attention because GM can kill dozens of people before the media ever blinks an eye.