Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move Over Tesla. Here Comes Cadillac.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not go the other way? 500 hp worth of Electric drivetrain and a 200hp backup generator....

Battery weight would cut too far into the payload. Even this method is 600+ lbs. That's a lot when it comes to payload, but since the battery will be under the rear seats (crew cab only), the rear axle is not badly affected.

Diesels are already pretty efficient, but suffer from turbo lag. An instant boost will make the truck much quicker in passing. Probably cut passing distance in 1/2.

There is also the price issue. A $9000 PHEV SuperPass option might sell. A 200kWh $120,000 truck might not.

Battery weight would cut too far into the payload. Even this method is 600+ lbs. That's a lot when it comes to payload, but since the battery will be under the rear seats (crew cab only), the rear axle is not badly affected.

Diesels are already pretty efficient, but suffer from turbo lag. An instant boost will make the truck much quicker in passing. Probably cut passing distance in 1/2.

There is also the price issue. A $9000 PHEV SuperPass option might sell. A 200kWh $120,000 truck might not.
Could still use a smallish battery and rely on the generator to backfill?

Could still use a smallish battery and rely on the generator to backfill?

Towing consumes power at up to twice the normal rates, or even higher at speeds over 65 mph. So count on having at least a 200kWh (or larger) battery for 12 mpg style towing range. 2000lb worth of battery means a pickup frame is not a good choice.

There are many cars out there with mixed PHEV systems, and other than the Save The Whales folk, I cannot imagine anyone buying one after a test drive. They Suck Harder Than a Hoover. Worst of both worlds in some cases, and never worth the money.

Volts aren't 'mixed' systems, and why they don't act like crappy PHEVs such as the Prime and Fusion. Full instant 100% EV thrust is always available in the Volt, but it's a guessing game with PHEVs. Will it accelerate if I push the pedal right now? Probably. But maybe not. So you cannot trust it, hence worse than some ICE cars. This is why I thought the Cadillac CT6 PHEV was worthless. A full sized Caddy without a real trunk MIGHT be forgiven if there was enough of an advantage in the driving experience, but it was like a Fusion PHEV just with more peak power. Irritating.

As Tesla Motors found out, in order to sell EV tech to non-EV folk, there must be an advantage over ICE cars. Not everybody is willing to suffer daily for the Whales by driving a car with a lethargic or spastic powertrain and pay more the pain.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
It's nice that they spell out all the disclaimers. Would stink to have a commute into the sun in the morning / evening and glare both ways.

Super Cruise is designed to be available and engage only under the following conditions:

· Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is on

· Forward Collision System set to alert and brake

· The vehicle is on a limited-access freeway

· Camera or radar sensors are not covered, obstructed, or damaged

· The system detects that the driver appears attentive

· The lane markings are clearly visible – lane markings may be obscured, for example, by glare or poor weather conditions

· Teen Driver is not active

It's nice that they spell out all the disclaimers. Would stink to have a commute into the sun in the morning / evening and glare both ways.

Super Cruise is designed to be available and engage only under the following conditions:

· Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is on

· Forward Collision System set to alert and brake

· The vehicle is on a limited-access freeway

· Camera or radar sensors are not covered, obstructed, or damaged

· The system detects that the driver appears attentive

· The lane markings are clearly visible – lane markings may be obscured, for example, by glare or poor weather conditions

· Teen Driver is not active

Cliff Notes:

Must be turned on.
Sensors must be working.
Only works on freeways.

As far as sun glare goes, ACC is radar based. While cameras and humans can be blinded by the sun, radar cannot.

Some context might be helpful.

The reviewer from GM's hometown Detroit News recently did a comparison of the Model S and Cadillac CT-6 Plug-In. Spoiler alert: the Model S wins hands down.

According to the reviewer, the Model S "crushes the Caddy in every metric" with the sole exception of range issues (which the reviewer exaggerates).

Indeed, Cadillac is not only a shadow of its former self, it is in danger of being rendered an anachronism. Tesla has transformed the auto into a smartphone on wheels complete with supercar acceleration, iPad-like touchscreen and spacious interior.​

Payne: Cadillac CT6 Plug-In vs. Tesla Model S

But @NerdUno, I'm sure the CT-6 would be perfect for you.;)

Cliff Notes:

Must be turned on.
Sensors must be working.
Only works on freeways.

As far as sun glare goes, ACC is radar based. While cameras and humans can be blinded by the sun, radar cannot.
Cliff Notes:

Must be turned on.
Sensors must be working.
Only works on freeways.

ACC is radar based. Super cruise uses the ACC system plus the camera. Hence the disclaimer about lane markings & glare.

Reactions: croman
Some context might be helpful.

The reviewer from GM's hometown Detroit News recently did a comparison of the Model S and Cadillac CT-6 and the Model S won hands down,

According to the reviewer, the Model S "crushes the Caddy in every metric" with the sole exception of range issues, which the reviewer exaggerates.

Indeed, Cadillac is not only a shadow of its former self, it is in danger of being rendered an anachronism. Tesla has transformed the auto into a smartphone on wheels complete with supercar acceleration, iPad-like touchscreen and spacious interior.​

Payne: Cadillac CT6 Plug-In vs. Tesla Model S

But @NerdUno, I'm sure the CT-6 would be perfect for you.;)

While I agree with result of the review, the tester is pretty much clueless.

Have you done any testing whatsoever with the CT6, any variant? Or sat in the rear seat of a Model S? They aren't even the same class of car when it comes to size, only weight.

Or any Cadillacs 2017+? If he thinks an ATS/CTS-V is 'dated' he drives like an 90 year old who is first learning to drive. They are state-of-the-art track monsters. The ATS-V is probably faster around a tight course than the CTS-V, but neither really have serious competition from the Euro/Asian/American sedan competition.

Detroit news could have some valid points, but they are completely obscured by the lack of a real review. Handling? Braking? Noise (no the Hybrid engine is so quiet it's hard to tell when it's on).

Did you notice they did not even mention Night Vision? Or the seats? Or the dual retractable rear HDTV infotainment? Or the Reverse AEB, not just high speed forward AEB? Or the privacy screens? Dual sunroofs? Wide Angle digital rearview? Carplay/AAuto/OnStar? It's all standard at $75k before $7500 Fed rebate.

I agree the CT6 Hybrid is a poor value. But the reporter apparently barely drove it. He might not have.

ACC is radar based. Super cruise uses the ACC system plus the camera. Hence the disclaimer about lane markings & glare.

When the main visible light frontal cameras cannot see the road, the steering wheel changes color. It drives by multiple 360 radar, geomapping, and 360 cameras until you take control of the car. It doesn't just turn off. Everything is based on redundancy.

While I agree with result of the review, the tester is pretty much clueless.

Have you done any testing whatsoever with the CT6, any variant? Or sat in the rear seat of a Model S? They aren't even the same class of car when it comes to size, only weight.

Or any Cadillacs 2017+? If he thinks an ATS/CTS-V is 'dated' he drives like an 90 year old who is first learning to drive. They are state-of-the-art track monsters. The ATS-V is probably faster around a tight course than the CTS-V, but neither really have serious competition from the Euro/Asian/American sedan competition.

Detroit news could have some valid points, but they are completely obscured by the lack of a real review. Handling? Braking? Noise (no the Hybrid engine is so quiet it's hard to tell when it's on).

Did you notice they did not even mention Night Vision? Or the seats? Or the dual retractable rear HDTV infotainment? Or the Reverse AEB, not just high speed forward AEB? Or the privacy screens? Dual sunroofs? Wide Angle digital rearview? Carplay/AAuto/OnStar? It's all standard at $75k before $7500 Fed rebate.

I agree the CT6 Hybrid is a poor value. But the reporter apparently barely drove it. He might not have.

Based on the review, I would agree that the Model S is in a totally different class in every way.

According to the reviewer, the CT-6 is smaller, performs worse, has worse navigation, tech -- well worse everything.

To add insult to injury, the Caddy even has a higher base price -- $75K v $69.5K!

Not sure why he even bothered to do a review. He did take both cars for long distance drives though -- it's right there in the review.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
Based on the review, I would agree that the Model S is in a totally different class in every way.

According to the reviewer, the CT-6 is smaller, performs worse, has worse navigation, tech -- well worse everything.

To add insult to injury, the Caddy even has a higher base price -- $75K v $69.5K!

Not sure why he even bothered to do a review. He did take both cars for long distance drives though -- it's right there in the review.

First I agree the Model S is a superior car. But the CT6 is missing from that review.

The reviewer is simply wrong about certain things, which is puzzling. I've driven the PHEV and the interior size is not different than the other variants EXCEPT the trunk space, which is indeed much smaller. The PHEV lacks: AWD/AWS/MagSusp/rear-reclining/Super Cruise. The CT6 PHEV is too much like a Euro or Asian PHEV driveline. It might be better than MB/Audi/Volvo/Etc driveline, but it's not as good as a Volt or ELR driveline. It has the same unpredictable pause you run into when passing that you find in nearly all PHEVs, just not as bad. Unacceptable IMO. My wife picked up the ICE version instead after driving both.

All the CT6's are indeed significantly larger inside than the Model S, especially in the rear seat. 6'1" passengers wearing a racing helmet fit fine. I loaded up 4 adults and went full gonzo around an AutoX course, cutting times that were pissing off some sports cars. The AWS makes the car handle like a champ in tight stuff even with the nannies in FULL OFF mode.

What is missing from the Tesla lineup is rear seat amenities. The rear 5-mode massage seats that are AC/Heat/reclining have 270° retractable privacy curtains, individual retractable HDTV infotainment, 120v/USB/12v power, rear area specific sunroof, storage areas (and ashtrays? really?). The list is long.

But the NAV? I have no idea what he's talking about. Just like the ZR1 and other HUD GMs, I can put the NAV in the HUD, and also do completely hands-free NAV instructions. I can say "there's a restaurant on the Huntington Beach pier, I don't know the name. If it is open now, can you load the directions?" Or I can use Google Maps. Or Apple Maps. Or click on a link, email, text address from your phone or center display.

The main feature of the NAV is I don't have to take my eyes off the road or hands off the wheel.

As far as the driver goes, it has configurable HUD/Cluster/Center, CP/AA, multi-mode AWD, individual magnetic suspension, all wheel steering that maps out to the stability control and driver mode, 360° Bird's-Eye view with recorder, wide-view digital rearview mirror, 34 speaker sound, forward and reverse AEB, cross-traffic, pedestrian, blind-spot, excellent long range thermal night vision (best), etc, etc, etc.

And now it has Super Cruise.

Why he ignored virtually all the CT6 PHEV features and dimensions is something you'd have to ask him. How did he miss the HUD Nav and 360 view? I can sort of understand 'hidden features' like the massage seats. Didn't the Night Vision icon get him curious? What did he think the rear HDTV screens were, airline trays? The rearview mirror is impossible not to notice. Did he even accidentally look at the back seats?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and NerdUno