Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move Over Tesla. Here Comes Cadillac.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I don't get here is this is very similar to how AP1 operated when it was released. Then everyone freaked out and Tesla had to add more dramatic warnings to tell you to put your hands on the wheel. And, truth be told, you can still ignore all the warnings and keep your hands off the wheel for a decent amount of time before you get detention. So, is everyone going to freak out at GM now and make them dial down the hands-free thing or is this going to free up Tesla and let them go back to the original system, which worked just fine if you were a reasonably cautious driver?

The Cadillac has very sophisticated AEB technology which even includes thermal imaging at a longer range than you can see with headlights. It has also mapped out the highways with LIDAR so the car knows where the lanes are when you can't see the lanes.

It is not like Tesla's system. Two different schools of thought. Tesla's current model is to drive anywhere under AP and be cautious. Cadillac's model is to drive only where it's known to be safe, and be cautious.

With the NHTSA saying that a truck turning into your path is not a good enough reason for Super Cruise to apply the brakes, it will be harder to sue GM for an accident.

Last edited:
Updated maps and the cost of those updates are the real question marks. The press accounts indicated that Cadillac used LIDAR to map every mile of every interstate in the U.S. One would assume that a "new section" of road probably would not be in the whitelist so Super Cruise would not be available on that segment until a map update was pushed out.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
My question is, what if the lane changes? How often are maps updated, and what verification is there that the real environment matches the expected LIDAR map?

One of the articles I read (can't remember which one) said the system only works if the lane markings seen by the camera agrees with the LIDAR maps. I presume the system will warn for the driver to take over if a mismatch is detected.

The Cadillac has very sophisticated AEB technology which even includes thermal imaging at a longer range than you can see with headlights. It has also mapped out the highways with LIDAR so the car knows where the lanes are when you can't see the lanes.

It is not like Tesla's system. Two different schools of thought. Tesla's current model is to drive anywhere under AP and be cautious. Cadillac's model is to drive only where it's known to be safe, and be cautious.

Cadilac's system is a perfectly fine near-term solution for a driver assist system, but it's not scalable nor robust enough for ultimate FSD (there's no solution to the cameras mismatching LIDAR maps or having to get off a freeway in an FSD vehicle with the Super Cruise approach). Tesla's approach is more error-prone in the early going, but the same approach extends to FSD in the longer term.

Both companies know this. Cadillac's parent (GM) has a fleet of autonomous Bolts they are using to work on FSD, which I presume is much closer to Tesla's approach than Super Cruise. In essence, GM is paying for developing two separate systems with different strengths that could allow them to cover the spectrum of solutions better than a single approach.

Reactions: Matias
Am I missing something or isn't Supercruise just an L2-system like Autopilot? They're both designed with the expectation that the driver pay attention to the road - i.e. is responsible for monitoring the environment - at all times.

Seems like Audi will be the first to introduce a true L3-system in production... From what I've seen Audi won't expect you to pay attention to the road, instead the vehicle is responsible for both monitoring and driving.

Of course there are different limitations on all three systems that makes the question of "usefulness" quite subjective.

But if we're going to follow strict definitions by SAE on Levels, Audi seems to be first to L3, am I wrong?

Am I missing something or isn't Supercruise just an L2-system like Autopilot? They're both designed with the expectation that the driver pay attention to the road - i.e. is responsible for monitoring the environment - at all times.

Seems like Audi will be the first to introduce a true L3-system in production... From what I've seen Audi won't expect you to pay attention to the road, instead the vehicle is responsible for both monitoring and driving.

Of course there are different limitations on all three systems that makes the question of "usefulness" quite subjective.

But if we're going to follow strict definitions by SAE on Levels, Audi seems to be first to L3, am I wrong?

Super Cruise is a system that demands the driver keeps their attention on driving. It will eventually bring the car to a stop with progressively more aggressive nagging. However, it does not require your hands to be on the wheel, just that you look forward now and then. It should have the same great AEB and thermal imaging as the existing Cadillacs, so it will be a bit more advanced than AP2 or any other "distracted driving assist" system.

Audi likes to exaggerate their technology level. Mastering a well-marked, fixed roadracing course, and throwing the L3 word around:

"In 2017, Audi will introduce what’s expected to the world’s first to-market Level 3 automated driving system with “Traffic Jam Pilot” in the next generation Audi A8. The system will give drivers the option to travel hands-free up to 35 mph, when certain conditions are met prior to enadling this feature — for instance, the vehicle will ensure it is on a limited-access, divided highway". - Audi Website

Note that Super Cruise will do hands-free at freeway speeds on controlled-access highways, as demonstration to the press last week. The difference in the Audi system and Cadillac, besides the Cadillac's system being more advanced, is that Audi calls their system Level 3 and Cadillac calls theirs Level 2 even though it's more powerful.

EDIT - Something folk do not understand fully. DDA (Distracted Driving Assist) system have a potentially fatal flaw. If you are hold in a fragile cellphone, tablet or other frangible device in your hands in front of you, it could turn into razor sharp 200mph projectile in a high-speed airbag deployment. So make sure you stick to paperback novels. Eye makeup tools is another potentially lethal product to have in your hands if they can pierce your eye socket and give you a lobotomy.

Last edited:
Audi likes to exaggerate their technology level. Mastering a well-marked, fixed roadracing course, and throwing the L3 word around:

"In 2017, Audi will introduce what’s expected to the world’s first to-market Level 3 automated driving system with “Traffic Jam Pilot” in the next generation Audi A8. The system will give drivers the option to travel hands-free up to 35 mph, when certain conditions are met prior to enadling this feature — for instance, the vehicle will ensure it is on a limited-access, divided highway". - Audi Website

Note that Super Cruise will do hands-free at freeway speeds on controlled-access highways, as demonstration to the press last week. The difference in the Audi system and Cadillac, besides the Cadillac's system being more advanced, is that Audi calls their system Level 3 and Cadillac calls theirs Level 2 even though it's more powerful.

The difference with both system is one monitors the environment and allows you to do other stuff like watch a movie, finish homework, prep for presentation while the other one doesn't monitor the environment and nags you after 5 seconds of looking away.

(This certainly looks like a well marked fixed road racing course. LMAO you ppl never fail to amuse me!)

• Disagree
Reactions: NerdUno
The difference in the Audi system and Cadillac, besides the Cadillac's system being more advanced, is that Audi calls their system Level 3 and Cadillac calls theirs Level 2 even though it's more powerful.
I disagree. It's not manufacturers merely "calling" their system L2 or L3 -- These are strictly defined in SAE J3016 and as far as I can see Audi will be the first one to fulfill the L3-definition, being that the system is responsible for the *entire* driving task (including the monitoring-bit), albeit only under certain conditions. Supercruise is obviously not responsible for all of the driving tasks since it requires eyes on the road or the thing shuts down.

GM, caddy........ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

A rose by any other name...

There is are a lot of little things about the new Caddy. Here are a few of the big ones:
  • All-wheel-steering, which is multi-mode and digitally mapped. It acts differently during parking as on a freeway, and different on a road course, selected via driver mode select or automatically.
  • Multi-mode on-demand AWD that maps for ice/rain, comfort, or track, altering the power distribution bias.
  • Variably mapped Magnetic Ride Control and power steering assist.
  • Ultra strong aluminum casting, forging, alloy sheet, high-strength steel, and composite, body/chassis integrated assy. This is new engineering technology in the integration of various metals and materials into a single component. Unique.
  • Long range thermal imaging you can see while looking forward, that cannot be blinded by high-beam glare. World's best in a car.
That's just some of the safety related stuff.

As far as GM goes, a cheap Camaro kid's car just lapped the 'Ring in 7m16.0s surpassing most 911 and Ferrari models. A Camaro. Seriously. OK, with race tires and a professional racecar driver from Germany, right? No, just a GM engineer on the factory rubber, using a normal stick shift, not a PDK or DCT.

When one of GM's cheapest car models is a better sportscar than what Porsche is selling, it's time to wake up. When Cadillac can be argued to be selling one the most advanced luxury cars in the world for chump change, it also a signal. Mary Barra is both a great engineer and a great CEO. Rated #1 CEO this year.

It's embarrassing to many 'men' when a woman can kick their ass when it comes to cars, but welcome to 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
The difference with both system is one monitors the environment and allows you to do other stuff like watch a movie, finish homework, prep for presentation while the other one doesn't monitor the environment and nags you after 5 seconds of looking away.

(This certainly looks like a well marked fixed road racing course. LMAO you ppl never fail to amuse me!)

So you say that Audi lies on their own website? That's exactly where that quote comes from. Their L3 product is 35 mph and controlled access. Go tell Audi they are wrong.

Audi Newsroom (para 7)

PS - The S-C nagging is speed sensitive. At 70mph it is a few seconds.

I disagree. It's not manufacturers merely "calling" their system L2 or L3 -- These are strictly defined in SAE J3016 and as far as I can see Audi will be the first one to fulfill the L3-definition, being that the system is responsible for the *entire* driving task (including the monitoring-bit), albeit only under certain conditions. Supercruise is obviously not responsible for all of the driving tasks since it requires eyes on the road or the thing shuts down.

Cadillac requires your head to be pointed forward every once an awhile. If your head is not pointed forward, there is a serious risk of severe neck injury in an airbag deployment.