Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Failed firmware update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of my X75D and I got notification a week ago and today that a new firmware was available.

Each time the car was connected to wifi and it started perfectly. After about 30 minutes I got the message 'The update did not complete successfully' presumably for different firmware versions.

I called Tesla Customer support today and the nice lady told me that from what she can pull out of the car, there's an hardware component preventing the update from completing. My car was at the Montréal SC just a few days after taking delivery to fix a few things that I had noticed during and after delivery. I was supposed to get an email stating what was done on the car but I never got it. Is it possible that something was done at the SC to fix an issue and that it's preventing any further software update?

The nice lady also told me something along the lines of 'whatever it is, it's not preventing the car from functioning normally...yet' I was somehow not reassured by that last statement.

Currently on 17.38.4 be12575

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, sounds like you need to call the SC and see when they can fix it for you. Who knows what this hardware issue is, but they either can or can’t do anything remotely (sounds like can’t) and then need to adjust/replace the offending part.

Unfortunately, sounds like you need to call the SC and see when they can fix it for you. Who knows what this hardware issue is, but they either can or can’t do anything remotely (sounds like can’t) and then need to adjust/replace the offending part.

Thanks, My car runs fine so I was asking the question to see if a similar situation has happened to anyone and if so, what was the hardware part responsible for this situation.

ohhh, that interesting...My phone is not connected but I do have a USB stick with some music (and maybe some files) on it in on of the ports. I also have a 12V usb fast charger in the cigarette lighter plug. I will go remove both immediately and by 'soft reboot' you mean rebooting the center console screen?

Probably unrelated but when I got the car, no USB ports were connected and the SC had to activate them.

There's still no known way to manually provoke an OTA firmware update?

Thanks.

ohhh, that interesting...My phone is not connected but I do have a USB stick with some music (and maybe some files) on it in on of the ports. I also have a 12V usb fast charger in the cigarette lighter plug. I will go remove both immediately and by 'soft reboot' you mean rebooting the center console screen?

Probably unrelated but when I got the car, no USB ports were connected and the SC had to activate them.

There's still no known way to manually provoke an OTA firmware update?

Thanks.
If you haven’t failed ‘too many’ times, anecdotal evidence is that a reboot (MCU/scroll wheels) might work/help. My theory is if this does *anything* it’s because it’s reestablishing the car’s VPN connection with the mothership.

But who knows?

So...The information I got from the log data is that a bad sensor in a door is preventing the updates from completing.

Will have to go to SC to get it fixed.

Thanks for all your comments.

JF
Maybe you can ask them, how does that work, exactly.. Is it a self test thing that has it fail the install? Seems weird that the door sensor would blow the installation, but if the whole car needs to pass some self test, I guess we get it. :D

Maybe you can ask them, how does that work, exactly.. Is it a self test thing that has it fail the install? Seems weird that the door sensor would blow the installation, but if the whole car needs to pass some self test, I guess we get it. :D

I suspect that the firmware update is actually a number of firmware updates all rolled into one package. There are likely firmware updates for a number of components including (apparently) door sensors. If the door sensor (or some other component) fails to update for some reason, then the whole package fails to install.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
This happened to me. Upgrading to 2017.40.1 failed. They staged it for me and the update worked 2 weeks ago. This week 2017.42.1 was downloaded and failed 4 times, including twice yesterday. I called the SC and they said logs indicate a defective door sensor is blocking the update. They ordered the door sensor and will call me when it arrives to schedule a replacement. They also said they’ll do a deeper dive on the log analysis when they have the vehicle.

I have the same issue and have been told it's a false error on a door sensor and makes the precheck fail so the update doesn't go. Was told it would be about a week for an updated software update with a fix for these newer model x's
That's interesting... My X is at the SC to have both door sensor changed to fix the problem. If what you say is true, this will not fix it. I do remember that my firmware was upgraded at the SC around delivery so at that point, both explanations could be true. We'll see tomorrow...

Been having updates issues as well on my MX. Didn't have any issues before, it was only for the latest update that the failure started. I believe its the update for "camper mode". Failed 3 times and decided to call Tesla. Was told that I need to bring it into the SC. Going in this Wednesday, will update here as to what they found.

So...I left my X at the Montréal service center last week before leaving for Iceland. They were kind enough to bring me to the airport and also get me back yesterday when I came back from Reykjavik. On the service invoice I can see that the 'cladding sensor' in the driver's door was defective and replaced and that the passenger's door sensor was changed as well just to be sure. My X now has the 2017.44 firmware and we'll see at the next OTA update if everything goes smoothly.

I'm really curious about what @mrv777 said earlier regarding the current newer sensors being incompatible with the current firmware and that it would get resolved soon in the next few releases. Does that mean that they've put 'older' sensors in my car in order for it to work or that the other explanation given to @mrv777 is wrong?

As a side note, I tough that the new 'chill' acceleration mode was only for P models but it's available on my regular 75D!

Cheers.

In reply to my own post, I just got confirmation that this issue is indeed software related and that second generation cladding sensors, found in very recent model Xs, seems to be incompatible with the current firmware. My SC contact told me that for now, they are installing first generation sensors as a fix and that if second generation sensors become necessary to move forward after they fixed the software problem, they will install them back in my X.

In reply to my own post, I just got confirmation that this issue is indeed software related and that second generation cladding sensors, found in very recent model Xs, seems to be incompatible with the current firmware. My SC contact told me that for now, they are installing first generation sensors as a fix and that if second generation sensors become necessary to move forward after they fixed the software problem, they will install them back in my X.

Very interesting that Tesla updated the FWD sensors to 2nd gen (of course they update things ALL THE TIME). But I wonder if those are enhanced in a way that will enable the door to operate more closely to Elon’s original vision.

Right now, they play it safe s often that any kind of close parking or parking garage opening makes the FWDs far less useful than a regular door or a minivan slider. But perhaps these sensors will give the door more data enabling it to do what we thought years ago!

I think this is worth following jflaplante! If you ever do get the original, second gen sensors reinstalled with new firmware, try out the doors in some “tight” parking situations and see if the results differ from what you have with the first gen sensors you’ve got now.