Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: 'Demand For Cybertruck Is Above What Tesla Can Do In 4 Years'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where can I read about this?
Just search for "Maxwell batteries" and dig for Tesla-related content.

Seems Tesla bought Maxwell a year ago, because they'd worked out a higher-power-density & lower-cost battery manufacturing process - as in doubled the energy stored per weight, and easier-to-handle larger cells, with a significant price drop. Company also makes comparable "ultra capacitors", which are like batteries but charge/discharge orders of magnitude faster, and can charge orders of magnitude more cycles (much longer lifespan) (but may not hold a charge as long, nor hold as much power per volume, and are very dangerous if damaged - can dump all that power almost instantaneously). Interesting possibilities loom.

Unless they are constrained by battery supply or manufacturing issues, I don't think the wait will be 4 years after production begins. Model 3 production delivered 438,000 in first 2.5 years. I think the order cancellation rate was around 20-25% for M3, and it may be higher for cybertruck, as many people seem to have reserved on a whim since its so unique, or made multiple orders.

Amazing how many orders they had within minutes of the announcement. I placed my order within the first few seconds of the site going live and I'm still around #400. For those that aren't owners, you may want to venture into the Tesla territory early to move up on the list. As a reminder, priority goes in this order: employees; current owners and then reservation order by region.

Amazing how many orders they had within minutes of the announcement. I placed my order within the first few seconds of the site going live and I'm still around #400. For those that aren't owners, you may want to venture into the Tesla territory early to move up on the list. As a reminder, priority goes in this order: employees; current owners and then reservation order by region.
I hope so, but we can't be certain.

Unless they are constrained by battery supply or manufacturing issues, I don't think the wait will be 4 years after production begins. Model 3 production delivered 438,000 in first 2.5 years. I think the order cancellation rate was around 20-25% for M3, and it may be higher for cybertruck, as many people seem to have reserved on a whim since its so unique, or made multiple orders.

that was me, on a whim depending on what comes 1st SR Y 3 rows or truck. Also still can't reserve SR Y 3 rows

For those that aren't owners, you may want to venture into the Tesla territory early to move up on the list. As a reminder, priority goes in this order: employees; current owners and then reservation order by region.
For those of you that are not Californians (or whatever factory they build these in) you may want to move to that Tesla territory early to move up the list, as was said the keyword is REGION

I was not a Tesla owner before my March 2018 was delivered, but I am about to hit two years, while many in the world still do not have theirs. Seemed like it only took from December to February to get thru the M3 reservation list of previous Tesla owners who lived near the factory, like me.

• Informative
Reactions: Blup85
As a reminder, priority goes in this order: employees; current owners and then reservation order by region.
However, look at the Y rollout. It does not appear region constrained (not by the emails, anyway). It is definitely trim level constrained (highest Performance model only so far). And it doesn't appear order date has much to do with it, either. People who ordered this month are getting emails for Mar 15 delivery.

I am totally just waiting to see how Tesla handles Cybertruck rollout. My guesses don't seem to match the reality of the Y rollout. o_O

However, look at the Y rollout. It does not appear region constrained (not by the emails, anyway). It is definitely trim level constrained (highest Performance model only so far). And it doesn't appear order date has much to do with it, either. People who ordered this month are getting emails for Mar 15 delivery.

I am totally just waiting to see how Tesla handles Cybertruck rollout. My guesses don't seem to match the reality of the Y rollout. o_O
Deliveries are still based upon the priority, but yes, are limited to trim level preference as well.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia