Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Model Y Production Ramp is ‘Top Priority’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is having production problems with the Model Y, struggling to ramp to a pre-pandemic clip.

A letter to employees from Chief Executive Elon Musk said he’ll be walking the assembly line on a weekly basis to help troubleshoot problems.

“We are doing reasonably well with S, X and 3, but there are production and supply chain ramp challenges with Model Y, as is always the case for new products,” Musk wrote in the email first reported by Business Insider.

The Model Y is expected to be Tesla’s best-selling vehicle.

See Musk’s full email below:

Subject: Model Y ProductionIt is extremely important for us to ramp up Model Y production and minimize rectification needs. I want you to know that it really makes a difference to Tesla right now.Model Y, especially GA, is the top priority for both production and manufacturing engineering. GA4 is also top priority for facilities improvements. For those working in GA4, thank you for bearing with tough conditions. Will get better fast. I will be walking the line personally every week.We are doing reasonably well with S, X, and 3, but there are production and supply chain ramp challenges with Model Y, as is always the case for new products. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.Thanks,Elon

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is comment I found useful by someone else responding to this news on a different news source:

"I spend a lot of time driving up and down i5, and since they reopened I have seen a more constant flow of loaded trucks filled with Teslas going both ways than I have ever seen before including the end of quarter pushes.
A large percentage are on the Tesla private Red and White fleet of car haulers, but a lot are on some of the larger name fleet trucks that usually haul other makes, and then some on owner operator or small fleet rigs which is what used to haul most of them

So from my i5 survey, I am seeing more shipping to the US then I have seen before and for a longer duration of constant 7 day a week flow.
And for those not familiar with the west coast, there are basically 4 routes cars will be shipped out of Fremont.

1. To the nearby Port of Oakland for overseas.

2. Interstate 80 towards Reno and salt lake city, and points east (it goes all the way to the east coast).

3 and 4.Interstate 5 North and South, which is the main west coast interstate, going from San Diego and the Mexican border through LA, Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, and up to Vancouver BC and the Canadian border. So pretty much anything going into western Canada, the Northern US, the southern US, Texas, Florida, etc, will be traveling on i5, meaning that I get to see a LOT of the total production from Fremont lol

Since we expect they won't be at full production, I wonder if they are not shipping much overseas and instead filling the domestic orders to avoid the cars being stuck in transit at the end of the quarter.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am seeing a constant stream on the roads often in convoys of 2 or 3 following each other, and that it is not what I have seen before."

Thanks for the update. I was one of the people on the east coast (Florida) to receive a shipment with my MY on it. As an aside due to some of the posts about delivery condition I arrived early for pickup and had 20 minutes to go over the car
and inspect it. Panels, door jams, over paint quality was great. My wife found a couple of very minor paint issues that I feel can be buffed out. The sales person took pictures and included the info on my delivery report. Overall very satisfied and happy that I did not need to deal with issues on day one. Had a 130 mile drive home and loved the ride. The delivery video's had given me good info so I could try some of the great feature's like Autosteer and TACC. Day two got into summon and working towards understanding how it works.
Overall happy the wait is over.

1) Ordered in February 2020
2) LR DM
3) White W/Black interior
4) Full Self Driving ( I think this and the LRDM helped move the delivery along. Higher Gross Profit)

Enjoy all your posts. Great info.

Jim
Naples, Fl

Thanks for the update. I was one of the people on the east coast (Florida) to receive a shipment with my MY on it. As an aside due to some of the posts about delivery condition I arrived early for pickup and had 20 minutes to go over the car
and inspect it. Panels, door jams, over paint quality was great. My wife found a couple of very minor paint issues that I feel can be buffed out. The sales person took pictures and included the info on my delivery report. Overall very satisfied and happy that I did not need to deal with issues on day one. Had a 130 mile drive home and loved the ride. The delivery video's had given me good info so I could try some of the great feature's like Autosteer and TACC. Day two got into summon and working towards understanding how it works.

2) LR DM
4) Full Self Driving ( I think this and the LRDM helped move the delivery along. Higher Gross Profit)

Jim
Naples, Fl

By far, the most interesting part of this is the first sentence:

"It is extremely important for us to ramp up Model Y production and minimize rectification needs."

Rectification = fixing what QC discovers. I really appreciate that the need for quality control is mentioned at the same time as speed of production.

By far, the most interesting part of this is the first sentence:

"It is extremely important for us to ramp up Model Y production and minimize rectification needs."

Rectification = fixing what QC discovers. I really appreciate that the need for quality control is mentioned at the same time as speed of production.

Totally agree. I hate to say it, but I'd much rather have a perfect car in a month than a car with tons of issues today. :D

Reactions: navguy12
He's not too concerned about quality. He's walking the line to find ways to pump cars out faster. If he cared about quality control, Tesla's problems in that area would have been solved a long time ago!
having filtered through many comments on panel gaps and paint - I was most amused to see other model's forums making mention of quality problems that seem much more frequent...
the pic below is a nearly new and undamaged Nissan I parked near today
with a panel gap I could get get my pinky in...

from my experience in the UK the Model 3 has far fewer QC issues than the average mid to high priced motor.

Attachments

• 20200610_132331[1].jpg
    20200610_132331[1].jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 90
Here is comment I found useful by someone else responding to this news on a different news source:

"I spend a lot of time driving up and down i5, and since they reopened I have seen a more constant flow of loaded trucks filled with Teslas going both ways than I have ever seen before including the end of quarter pushes.
A large percentage are on the Tesla private Red and White fleet of car haulers, but a lot are on some of the larger name fleet trucks that usually haul other makes, and then some on owner operator or small fleet rigs which is what used to haul most of them

So from my i5 survey, I am seeing more shipping to the US then I have seen before and for a longer duration of constant 7 day a week flow.
And for those not familiar with the west coast, there are basically 4 routes cars will be shipped out of Fremont.

1. To the nearby Port of Oakland for overseas.

2. Interstate 80 towards Reno and salt lake city, and points east (it goes all the way to the east coast).

3 and 4.Interstate 5 North and South, which is the main west coast interstate, going from San Diego and the Mexican border through LA, Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, and up to Vancouver BC and the Canadian border. So pretty much anything going into western Canada, the Northern US, the southern US, Texas, Florida, etc, will be traveling on i5, meaning that I get to see a LOT of the total production from Fremont lol

Since we expect they won't be at full production, I wonder if they are not shipping much overseas and instead filling the domestic orders to avoid the cars being stuck in transit at the end of the quarter.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am seeing a constant stream on the roads often in convoys of 2 or 3 following each other, and that it is not what I have seen before."

On Monday I was told my car is in Birmingham, AL awaiting a truck to South Florida. Oddly enough there are no Tesla stores or service/delivery centers in Alabama due to a dealer protection law. When I looked it up I saw an article that referenced that all Teslas delivered to the Southeast US are shipped by train to Birmingham and then by truck.

having filtered through many comments on panel gaps and paint - I was most amused to see other model's forums making mention of quality problems that seem much more frequent...

from my experience in the UK the Model 3 has far fewer QC issues than the average mid to high priced motor.

Absolutely this! I posted in FB about the same thing.

Take a walk in a residential neighborhood. Look closely at cars parked on the street. Panel gaps are EVERYWHERE! Tesla had massive ramp up issues with the Model 3, but those have been mostly solved. The Model Y ramp up has been FAR less dramatic. Tesla isn't perfect, but (IMO) isn't worse than most other manufacturers. The only difference is Tesla owners, especially the ones that frequent Tesla forums and groups, tend to be far pickier than most new car owners.

TBH, I have never, ever looked over any new car I've every purchased (dozens), like most here seem to do with Teslas. It would have to be a huge problem for me to notice or even care. But since I started reading these forums, I find myself opening doors and carefully examining the paint along the edges. When I got my Model 3 last November, I was pleasantly shocked that it was flawless.

;tldr QC issues with Teslas isn't nearly as bad as some here would lead you to believe. It totally depends on the buyer. So drive more, worry less.

Well, that’s 2 car companies that don’t care about quality.

Interesting. I live 18 miles from the Fremont factory, ordered the Y back in 2019 , ordered in the blue with DM and self driving but haven’t heard a word from them on when I might expect delivery. The last communication asked me if I wanted to delay delivery to 3Q. I said “NO”

QUOTE="deady156, post: 4744831, member: 127053"]Thanks for the update. I was one of the people on the east coast (Florida) to receive a shipment with my MY on it. As an aside due to some of the posts about delivery condition I arrived early for pickup and had 20 minutes to go over the car

2) LR DM

Jim
Naples, Fl[/QUOTE]

• Helpful
Reactions: raygduncan
I placed an order for an AWD long range black model Y soon after they were announced and paid my $2500 deposit in July 2019. It's a year later and the car has not materialized. I did get a call from Tesla while the factory was closed telling me the car would be available soon, but nothing since then. In the meantime, I'm seeing so many complaints about quality control and defects and unreachable customer service for these cars on Reddit and TMC and elsewhere, that I finally decided this week to cancel my order. I'm a happy owner of a AWD LR Model 3 which has been completely problem-free, and I have no complaints about the local service center (my only experience with them to replace a broken side mirror was perfect). i plan to reorder the model Y when I see some evidence that they have gotten their quality control and customer service problems under control, but it just feels too risky right now. The fact that there is simply no customer service phone number to call that has any ability or authority to resolve problems is absurd.