Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Touts ‘Quantum Leap” in Full Self-Driving Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A “quantum leap” improvement is coming to Tesla’s Autopilot software in six to 10 weeks, Chief Executive Elon Musk said a tweet.

Musk called the new software a “fundamental architectural rewrite, not an incremental tweak.”

Musk said his personal car is running a “bleeding edge alpha build” of the software, which he also mentioned during Tesla’s Q2 earnings. 

“So it’s almost getting to the point where I can go from my house to work with no interventions, despite going through construction and widely varying situations,” Musk said on the earnings call. “So this is why I am very confident about full self-driving functionality being complete by the end of this year, is because I’m literally driving it.”

Tesla’s Full Self-Driving software has been slow to roll out against the company’s promises. Musk previously said a Tesla would drive from Los Angeles to New York using the Full Self Driving feature by the end of 2019. The company didn’t meet that goal. So, it will be interesting to see the state of Autopilot at the end of 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the quantum leap they might as well remove the steering wheel. I have no idea why they are even bothering with this feature when we're so close to FSD and the quantum leap.
There's already video of the new build and it looks amazing. If this is where it is now imagine how it will look in a few months?

If there is no one in the left lane then you could use it to continually pass people and the car should never move back to the right. This should be the default behavior

I suppose this is off-topic (so will not comment after this), though modifying the current autopilot algorithm as below would be a quantum leap.

Partially agree. On a simple two-lane, each direction, freeway (e.g. I-5 Central Valley, etc.):

1) Move to left lane to pass slow traffic in right lane.

2) Immediately after pass is complete, after giving sufficient distance to avoid rock-chipping anyone, move to right lane. Stay there until forced to pass again on left.

Note this will necessarily mean that under typical conditions you will frequently be undertaking (passing on right!).

But it really is the only way to go. Maximizes the speed of all traffic, which is the goal.

The issue with staying in the fast lane even when there is no traffic behind you is that you MAY slightly slow traffic coming up behind you very quickly (before you move over). It’s important to reduce such slowing as much as possible.

Another reason is that YOU may slow down if you encounter a camper in the fast lane. You want to make sure you can pass these people on the right so you don’t have to slow down (which will potentially slow down traffic behind you). By passing them on the right, you reduce/eliminate the slowing they cause and keep traffic flowing.

I-5 is infuriating. So many people setting up their Labor Day camp in the left lane. Slows things way down. I was forced to do so much passing on the right just to be able to get back up to 75-80. It just takes a few people doing 65 in the fast lane to slow things down for miles. The trucks passing trucks also slow things down, but not nearly as much as the campers.

The above algorithm also assures that when everyone is following it, all passes will occur on the left.

Slight additional complexity is how to deal with a pass when faster traffic is behind you (in either lane). You should yield to the faster traffic if you will not complete the pass before the faster traffic would have to slow down for you.

I wish this could be implemented. It would be a quantum leap. As it is, in Mad Max mode, the AP only occasionally correctly identifies the lane that is moving faster. It is just randomly wrong for no apparent reason a lot of the time, and inexplicably slows down when traffic ahead in the current lane is moving more slowly (even if it is the right lane - I could understand the left lane, though that is silly too)! It is bizarre. Why would it slow down?

I would like to see this 100% functional before worrying much about city streets (which are considerably more complicated). It would be a demonstration that simple driving behaviors are possible to execute correctly, which is currently only a theory and has not yet been demonstrated.

Last edited:
Wow, did Tesla really enable traffic controls in UK and EU? I never thought it'd happen. The traffic controls in the UK are bonkers.

Tesla Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control begins international rollout
Err you can turn right on a red light dude...
Oh, maybe you are talking about this kind of traffic control:

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
That is complete nonsense.

There was no version of FSD ever promised.
There is just the definition of FSD... from their site and it promised to have "your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates."
That continuous part destroys any idea of a set version.
View attachment 586770

Jeez. Tesla is moving the goalposts backwards and charging more for it.

I don't think you guys appreciate the utter significance of Tesla releasing the traffic control feature world wide. My mind is beyond blown. I didn't think this was possible, and no other company is anywhere remotely close. I thought Tesla would find some feature-breaking issue, and it would stall their development. What we fail to appreciate constantly is that Tesla is pushing the reliability and accuracy of NNs beyond what is understood to be possible. Just imagine the size and depth of the NNs and data needed to roll out a consumer worthy traffic control feature world wide...

FSD development is accelerating at Tesla, whereas it's been stagnant or constant at others for a long time.

It doesn't work that well. It identifies warning signs on the side of the highway (blinking yellow things) as traffic lights and slams the brakes. It also doesn't see all speed signs in my case. And I live in Tesla's backyard. Just like Smart Summon, it's half baked.

Pretty sure Mobileye hardware on AP1 also had light and sign recognition but Tesla chose to never implement it.

It doesn't work that well. It identifies warning signs on the side of the highway (blinking yellow things) as traffic lights and slams the brakes. It also doesn't see all speed signs in my case. And I live in Tesla's backyard. Just like Smart Summon, it's half baked.

Pretty sure Mobileye hardware on AP1 also had light and sign recognition but Tesla chose to never implement it.

Also, I'm talking about the traffic control feature, not the speed signs.

There's already video of the new build and it looks amazing. If this is where it is now imagine how it will look in a few months?
I honestly hope Tesla raises the price for FSD the day they release the rewrite for wide release to about 10k or more.

Just to make sure all the whiners and naysayers have to pay about double what they could have paid originally if they want in on the fun!

Call it the "stupid tax".
Leave the price the same on new orders.
But Jack it the $&+_# up on after the fact sales.

I'd pay good money to watch the collective meltdown.

I honestly hope Tesla raises the price for FSD the day they release the rewrite for wide release to about 10k or more.

Just to make sure all the whiners and naysayers have to pay about double what they could have paid originally if they want in on the fun!

Call it the "stupid tax".
Leave the price the same on new orders.
But Jack it the $&+_# up on after the fact sales.

I'd pay good money to watch the collective meltdown.
Who would you have left to blame at that point?

People who whine about the FSD price don't consider that when FSD was first announced, many driver assistance packages at other oems cost $4-5k. The price of FSD, even nowadays, isn't absurd compared to what you're getting and other offerings.

And yes, Tesla used too much hyperbole and misleading language to describe the FSD features and when we could expect them.

People who whine about the FSD price don't consider that when FSD was first announced, many driver assistance packages at other oems cost $4-5k. The price of FSD, even nowadays, isn't absurd compared to what you're getting and other offerings.

And yes, Tesla used too much hyperbole and misleading language to describe the FSD features and when we could expect them.

This is true. MB charges like $11,000.00 for their drivers assistance option package. Audi does the same thing. Who cares what BMW does, but I’m sure it’s something like the others.

I have never whined about the price of FSD (EAP on the other hand...). FSD is worth way more than what Tesla is charging. I just don't believe Tesla will ever give me FSD so I didn't buy it.
True believers should have followed my advice here (Help me decide if I buy FSD this weekend, or not! ONCE AND FOR ALL.). I must say though that the market seems to think that Tesla will deliver FSD and I'm a believer in the efficient market hypothesis... The suspense is killing me. I'm thinking a battery breakthrough is a more likely explanation.

I must say though that the market seems to think that Tesla will deliver FSD and I'm a believer in the efficient market hypothesis... The suspense is killing me. I'm thinking a battery breakthrough is a more likely explanation.

It's not FSD. The Market is anticipating a big battery breakthrough. There are rumors that Tesla has achieved a cost of less than $100/kWh goal which would make EVs as cheap as gas cars and has also achieved batteries that can last 1M miles.

Tesla May Deploy 'Million-Mile' Batteries in China Later This Year - ExtremeTech

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Robotaxi isn't priced in. I don't think anyone here reasonably expects Tesla to have robotaxis available in 2021. Heck, I still don't think Tesla will actually achieve robotaxi FSD, ever. But the traffic control progress is moving my needle more and more towards belief.

• Helpful
I don't think you guys appreciate the utter significance of Tesla releasing the traffic control feature world wide. My mind is beyond blown. I didn't think this was possible, and no other company is anywhere remotely close. I thought Tesla would find some feature-breaking issue, and it would stall their development. What we fail to appreciate constantly is that Tesla is pushing the reliability and accuracy of NNs beyond what is understood to be possible. Just imagine the size and depth of the NNs and data needed to roll out a consumer worthy traffic control feature world wide...

FSD development is accelerating at Tesla, whereas it's been stagnant or constant at others for a long time.

You should have used a smiley on this one. This is so tongue-in-cheek I am not sure you will get your tongue back.

Well done, sir.