Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX 0-60 Increases! (75D and 100D)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of X100D last week. Now, 0.5 sec. faster. Naaaah won't loose sleep over it. Car is plenty fast. Besides, I've noticed you get used to the performance rather quickly. I would have been more upset if I just bought HW1 and a week later HW2 was announced.

Like I did.

This caniblization of old cars is heart breaking. Making it harder for current owners to upgrade, and also not wanting to be Osborned after a couple months.

Why not give old owners a small carrot to build up your cars don't age as bad as other because of updates?

If you have been watching Tesla, this is not unexpected ... a few reasons below. :cool:

1. Typical End of Quarter sales push followed by another upgrade announcement.
2. Further product differentiation between the Model S and 3 prior to the July reveal.

Oh I've been watching Tesla since way back in 2012 when I placed my deposit ;)

1. I agree.
2. Possibly. Not sure why they needed to though at the expensive of the product differentiation within the S/X line up. AWD and RWD now near as makes no difference have identical 0-60's. Likewise for pack size. They could have done a rolling upgrade announcing a "Sport" mode, and charged people nominally more. Heck even offered it FOC toward the end of the quarter. (For the next sales push)

Older cars are every bit as good as they were when purchased. You have nothing to complain about!

Unexpedected crushing current owners values time and time again?

With no dealerships tesla relys on current owners to help raise their stock price.. I mean sell cars.

Their strategy can prove counter intuitive, but so far they are best game in town. In 2020.. we will see what the competition brings.

With no dealerships tesla relys on current owners to help raise their stock price.. I mean sell cars.

Their strategy can prove counter intuitive, but so far they are best game in town. In 2020.. we will see what the competition brings.
Here is a prediction: newer cars will continue to improve relentlessly. Drive your car and enjoy it, because it's not a piggy bank.

This is no different than any other manufacturer coming out with a new model year.

So you are annoyed that Tesla is upgrading the cars over time, while not charging more for them? You would rather that new owners paid more, so older cars stay more relevant?

Yes! Because at the end of the day I want Tesla to succeed ;) (Even though it may not sound that way a lot of the time :D)

So while @b team may suggest the cars should not be seen as piggy banks, the lease companies will. If residuals get hurt it will affect the actuarial stats at the point of off lease vehicles, which in turn will lead to a knock on to higher monthly payments offered by the lease co's, as they reduce predicted final values.

Equally Tesla have a large number of these piggy banks sat on the forecourts of their stores. So while the new sales boost some optical numbers, these boosts for quarterly delivery numbers have real cost for Tesla when they crystallise those piggy banks back into cash on sale as a CPO/Inventory vehicle.

So my view is it's short term-thinking, that simply pushes risk further down the line. Hopefully this passes when they get into Model 3 production and Tesla mature.

Reactions: hill and yak-55
Took delivery of X100D last week. Now, 0.5 sec. faster. Naaaah won't loose sleep over it. Car is plenty fast. Besides, I've noticed you get used to the performance rather quickly. I would have been more upset if I just bought HW1 and a week later HW2 was announced.

There's not much sleep to loose over this. The difference between the latest and previous Model X 100D is only 0.1 seconds. I'd be a sad cookie if I had gone ahead with my initial 75D order. It would be awesome for Tesla to offer a retrofit. I'd pick up a CPO Model S 75D in a heartbeat over a Model 3.

Last edited:
This is no different than any other manufacturer coming out with a new model year.
Apart from other manufacturers don't release multiple model years randomly throughout the year?

Everyone knows you get a discount in the run out of the year, and generally speaking the motoring press has reviewed the changes well in advance of the availability of next year's car.

We are sort of getting there with Tesla now, it's just Model Quarters. You know there will be discounts in the run up to quarter end, you just don't know what the new parts of next quarters offering will be.

Yes! Because at the end of the day I want Tesla to succeed ;) (Even though it may not sound that way a lot of the time :D)

So while @b team may suggest the cars should not be seen as piggy banks, the lease companies will. If residuals get hurt it will affect the actuarial stats at the point of off lease vehicles, which in turn will lead to a knock on to higher monthly payments offered by the lease co's, as they reduce predicted final values.

Equally Tesla have a large number of these piggy banks sat on the forecourts of their stores. So while the new sales boost some optical numbers, these boosts for quarterly delivery numbers have real cost for Tesla when they crystallise those piggy banks back into cash on sale as a CPO/Inventory vehicle.

So my view is it's short term-thinking, that simply pushes risk further down the line. Hopefully this passes when they get into Model 3 production and Tesla mature.
I think it is in Tesla's best interest to make the best car they practically can. If someone wants to buy a less impressive car for less money, there are at least 100 other options.

I think it is in Tesla's best interest to make the best car they practically can.

Historically this has been true of their top flight cars. (P variants) For the non P's it's been suspected by many they have been holding back on making the best car given the hardware for marketing reasons. This is just more grist for the mill.

Of course making the best car, and maximising your revenue, by ratcheting enough people up into bigger batteries and AWD they would not of otherwise chosen via better 0-60 times, have to be in balance. Tesla are still a business not a charity.

Historically this has been true of their top flight cars. (P variants) For the non P's it's been suspected by many they have been holding back on making the best car given the hardware for marketing reasons. This is just more grist for the mill.

Of course making the best car, and maximising your revenue, by ratcheting enough people up into bigger batteries and AWD they would not of otherwise chosen via better 0-60 times, have to be in balance. Tesla are still a business not a charity.

As long as there are people willing to trade their 6 months old Tesla for slightly bigger battery/new AP/0.1 better 0-60, etc. believe you me- they will continue along this path!

• Love
Reactions: smac