Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 11.2kW Tesla Solar Project - Portland, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s interesting that tesla didn’t paint it or offer to paint it for you. In my case they didn’t really even give me an option of leaving the small amount of exposed conduit on my roof unpainted. They just came up to me toward the end of the second install day and asked me what color I wanted it painted. I chose white since I have a very light roof and the rest of my vents and stacks were already white. I saw them painting it and they just used a can of spray paint, holding some cardboard against the roof to mask it.

I’m sure it would be pretty quick and easy to paint with flat black spray paint if you can get up there. It looks like it’s close enough to the edge of the roof that if you had a ladder that was long enough to reach the peak you could probably paint it right from the ladder without even needing to get onto the roof.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I would not have noticed the conduit if you had not mentioned it. But, if you want to hide it more paint it black like your vent stacks.

Definitely one of those things that the homeowner knows about but others may not even notice, until (as my wife likes to point out) "you tell them about it". I sorta noticed it in the first pic but not really, then with the close up, now when I look at the pictures my eyes focus on it (lol).

@pdx_m3s

I am also surprised they didnt offer to paint it. Its not bad at all (not even close) but it would look "better" if it were some type of black.. similar to either your other vents or a similar color to the PV panels its close to.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Tesla did offer to paint conduit during my scheduling call, but I declined since all of my conduit is in-wall. I didn't realize that this conduit would be sticking up.

I really don't care all that much since it's on the back of the house and the only people that will see it are my neighbors.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Wow. Thanks for the timeline. Your process seems a lot smoother than mine but that's only because my Tesla project manager lady is unresponsive AT BEST. She only calls or emails 5-10 minutes before the end of her shift on any given day...when she DOES send anything. Extremely "testy," and gets annoyed fairly easily. Hope that mine starts moving more quickly once I tell Tesla that my HOA has approved.

That's a good idea.

I stole it from Tesla. For our SolarRoof they put on black covers and painted all the pipes black to match the roof glass.

20200929_150938.jpg

i didn't wait for the city electrical inspector... lol. i flipped the switch the moment everyone left to charge my batteries.. i come home every day from work and turn the system on for a couple of hours to test it... we failed our electrical because tesla screwed up and installed a 10kw inverter vs the 11.4kw. So the inspector threw a red flag... to be honest i would have never checked the model number... now we are fighting over it makes it difference in production. we will see what the design team says once they run the calculations again.. Took 6 days to finish the job.

i didn't wait for the city electrical inspector... lol. i flipped the switch the moment everyone left to charge my batteries.. i come home every day from work and turn the system on for a couple of hours to test it... we failed our electrical because tesla screwed up and installed a 10kw inverter vs the 11.4kw. So the inspector threw a red flag... to be honest i would have never checked the model number... now we are fighting over it makes it difference in production. we will see what the design team says once they run the calculations again.. Took 6 days to finish the job.

Interesting that your electrical inspector caught that. My inspector was here for all of about 5 minutes and just barely glanced at things. He definitely wouldn’t have caught something like that.

How big is the DC size of your system? And in what direction(s) are your panels oriented? You can do some calculations for yourself on PVWatts.com to see if it’s likely to make much of a difference in annual production.

Sounds like things moved pretty quickly once the install started.

We're still waiting for Tesla to complete our 'final submission' for our net meter installation...up until now things have been fairly speedy (ordered 8/10, installed 9/24

Are you seeing clipping at all during the times you're turning it on?

i've not let it run long enough during a nice day, which there haven't been many in s. florida for the past week... The max i've seen so far at like 4pm is 7kw... again i ran calculations on pv watts originally based on an 11.4kw inverter and an 11.34kw pv system and got my production.. i guess i need to go back and do it again.. Tesla is actually re-running the numbers. if there is no difference them i'm fine, but if it's even 50watts less, then they need to make the change in my eyes.

i've not let it run long enough during a nice day, which there haven't been many in s. florida for the past week... The max i've seen so far at like 4pm is 7kw... again i ran calculations on pv watts originally based on an 11.4kw inverter and an 11.34kw pv system and got my production.. i guess i need to go back and do it again.. Tesla is actually re-running the numbers. if there is no difference them i'm fine, but if it's even 50watts less, then they need to make the change in my eyes.

Yeah, with an 11.34kW system I suspect that there will be very little, if any clipping with a 10kW inverter. Especially if all your panels are not facing the same direction.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Final electrical inspection passed. Took all of about 5 minutes, with the inspector just confirming that they installed the system (breaker size, wire gauge, disconnect, etc.) according to plan. PTO next! It's about a 1-2 week process here.

Regarding the previous comment about inverter size, mine is a 10kW inverter with an 11.2kW system. I don't expect any clipping, even with all panels facing the same direction.

Well I turned the system on and plugged in the gateway. Says "no signal". Perhaps because I haven't received PTO?

I believe that indicates that it can’t talk to the inverter, either because you haven’t given it enough time or because it’s too far away from the inverter. I would give it 5 or 10 minutes and then maybe try to move it closer to the inverter. I don’t believe that lack of PTO would cause a no signal light, but I also don’t believe that you will get any data in your app until after you get PTO

I believe that indicates that it can’t talk to the inverter, either because you haven’t given it enough time or because it’s too far away from the inverter. I would give it 5 or 10 minutes and then maybe try to move it closer to the inverter. I don’t believe that lack of PTO would cause a no signal light, but I also don’t believe that you will get any data in your app until after you get PTO

The Gateway is literally sitting on top of the inverter. Maybe it's too close o_O