Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2 day old P85D suddenly died in the middle of an intersection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
osama, I might suggest seeing what happens after a week or two of your wife living with the Model S, and, this is the important part, not having to go fill up at a gas station ever again.

While the thought of getting stuck in the cold waiting an hour for a tow truck is terrible, it's a low probability event and one that is equally prevalent with a gas car. However, with a gas car you know you will be stuck out in the cold for 10 minutes every week or two filling up. Over the course of a year that's many, many hours.

Once your wife experiences that (2 days isn't long enough), I suspect she'll come to thank you. So will her fingers... kept warm plugging in your garage, not having to hold a freezing gas pump handle outside ever again.

She's had diesel cars for the past 8 years (BMW X5 and an ML350). She fills up once every 2 weeks at a full service station near our house. Her last car, ML350, had a 1000km range with a full tank.

I get bored of my cars very quickly. I've had 8 ICE cars in the last 8 years. CLS63, C63, Ferrari 458, Lambo Aventador, Porsche GT3, BMW M5, BMW 550i, BMW Z3, BMW M3.

Neither of us has ever had an engine failure or even a starting failure in any of our ICE cars. I had a cracked cylinder head in the C63 which manifested in slowly losing coolant but never affected the performance of the car. Merc fixed it under warranty and provided an E63 loaner during the 3 weeks it took them to fix it.

I know this is not a large enough sample but it is very hard not to be colored by the lack of problems with ICE cars.

I don't want to push her too much and end up with a bloody nose if she has a problem and suffers because of it. If her ICE car has a problem it will be bad luck. But if her Tesla has a problem it will be my fault.

If I thought her car was going to fail so quickly I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I would have predicted that would be her reaction.

I sympathize with you osama. This would really turn me off if it happened to me or my wife. As much as I adore Tesla I will always have a diesel SUV for long trips or emergencies. Above it said you had enjoyed your BMW and Merc diesels but have you tried the Cayenne Diesel? In my experience its the sportiest and most fun to drive in the segment. I would recommend driving it and I would certainly buy it again.

After reading similar threads to this 18 months ago when I was waiting for my P85, I got scared and bought a "back-up" car. A Mazda Miata. My P85 have performed flawlessly, but the back-up car has died twice. Reason: Dead 12 V battery !

I too would hope Osama's wife would give the car another chance, BUT JESUS PEOPLE, leave him alone!!
i love my Tesla, but many of you are just badgering the guy, getting snippy and condescending.
Osama makes a lot of good points about why his wife does NOT want to try it again.

BUT, he doesn't need to justify the decision, it's their business and all the... "Well it can happen to an ice vehicle too" talk is obvious, rude and makes many here look like sycophant Tesla defenders regardless of what happens.

THIS problem has not been resolved... And getting stranded, car catastrophically failing IS scary and Tesla has not addressed it. Wish him well, offer to BUY his wife's car, but don't make him keep defending what is her wish. this is in reference to previous posts, not celters. He's just a faster typer ��

Last edited:
Osama I do hope you keep your car and return (or sell) the wife's car without suffering too much financial penalty. Two P85D's at the same time was a very bold move, and I'm sorry all this happened to you. I hope your story reaches Elon's attention, because surely he understands that experiences like these are very damaging to the company and only he can put the necessary attention, across the whole company, on quality.

I agree that Tesla is a mess - just ask anyone who works or even interviewed to work there. It's much more of a silicon valley startup than a 6-sigma company, and they really need to make sure that these things don't keep happening.

I'm confident that over time you and your family will come to love the Tesla again, especially as software updates bring new features and you get accustomed to the responsive acceleration, functional space, and comfortable quiet cruising.

Sorry @osama, that you've had such a bad run, first with the P85D production black hole and now this. I can understand how your wife feels; it may indeed be best to return her car and switch back to what she's comfortable with.

I'd dread something like this happening in fast-moving, dense highway traffic, let alone in bad weather. Yes, it could happen with any car but, it's conceivable that Tesla may have a higher rate of such failures to this point and would need to address this. We, as a collective group of people interested in seeing Tesla succeed for the long term, most definitely should not give them a pass.

At the risk of being yelled at I will state that until my last car I sold any car that had major breakdown (towed, ect) or that I had an accident in (regardless of fault) within a month of the problem. I have difficulty when I lose faith in my car. I am trying to be more intellectual in my car decisions, but have previously always reacted emotionally. Everyone has a different level of comfort when they lose trust in a car!

Agree with the above comments. If Tesla wants to be ready for mass market, they don't get second chances with quality control issues like this. Was amused and disappointed that some of the earlier posts in this thread seemed to imply (or maybe it was just curiosity and trying to help identify the culprit issue) that there could have been something Osama did differently with the cold weather, etc., to prevent the battery failure. That's like a cell phone carrier suggesting you should stand somewhere with at least 3 bars of signal to avoid dropped calls!

Owned a Toyota Prius, Acura Integra, Volkswagen Jetta and Toyota Highlander Hybrid. None of those cars were in service for any warranty issues the first year. By comparison, I have a stack of papers as thick as a phone book reflecting all of my service appointments for my Model S the first year. People here should not be so dismissive. The Model S has far more quality issues than any other vehicle I've ever owned. That is simply a fact for me, possibly others - I can only speak for myself. I still love Tesla and would never buy another ICE, but I look forward to the day when Audi and BMW force Tesla to up its quality game.

Have you signed up on truedelta yet?

Model S vs. LEAF Reliability

It is significant that the numbers for 2013 (lower is better) are

99 Tesla Model S
41 Chevrolet Volt
34 Nissan Leaf
30 Volkswagen Jetta
20 BMW 3-Series
19 BMW 5-Series
10 Infiniti G
5 Toyota Prius
Any result under 5 repair trips per 100 cars is likely a result of the small sample size, and should be expected to increase in future updates.

New models often start out with high repair rates, and then improve as the manufacturer identifies and addresses common problems.

Pick your most/least reliable car and look it up on true delta. Go ahead and create an account and add data for any cars you currently own.

Even with the older data it's clear that Tesla has much room for improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. There have been a few that have gotten unlucky and had issues with their cars. Others have had nothing. Consumer Reports still recommends the car so not every car is a lemon.

Consumer Reports recommended the car with no repair history and continued to recommend it when they had little repair history trickling in. They'll continue to recommend it but with reservations as they get more repair history.

Last edited:
I think the issue is that in generally people tend to focus on the bad things, as is human nature it seems. Keep in mind the thousands of Model S on the road that have thousands of miles on them and have not had any real issues. This is an enthusiast forum, and I don't see posts that are the opposite of this generally, like, "Drove 200 miles without any problems!" Certainly if everyone did we'd have far more positive posts than negative.

@osama - I have no real stake in this, but if you do end up keeping the wife's car after repair for some reason I'd be willing to bet real cash that it will not have any further issue that would cause a similar circumstance.

If you want, your wife is welcome to speak with my wife-to-be who also had reservations about the Model S after a minor issue with mine (slack in the drive unit on mine that developed on our ~2500 mile NJ<->FL round trip). We were actually talking about your situation this morning. Obviously this is not a catastrophic failure en route, but, she has had this happen in previous ICE vehicles. One stalled on her in a busy intersection and she had to wait for me to get there to help (an hour later, since people in NJ seemed to just not care to help, and no police passed through in that time)... and then she had her brakes completely fail on a newer car which caused her to rear-end someone at ~40 MPH (have an on-going court case on this), something that is pretty unlikely with the independently controlled electromechanical brakes on the newer Model S. She's now 8k miles into hers plus along with me for most of my 23k miles of Model S driving and couldn't be happier about it, to the point where we were driving the other day and she actually flat out said, "You know, I was wrong about this car."

Definitely understand the reservations, and I wish you the best of luck. In any case, if Tesla won't play ball buying back your P85D (and from a business standpoint, I don't know why they would.... from a customer satisfaction standpoint, maybe...) I know someone in NJ who may take it off your hands and not hit you in the wallet too hard from driven-off-the-lot-instant-depreciation. Would have to work it out with him, but, he's offered to pay me full sticker price for mine already. lol.

Good luck either way. I hope to hear the end result.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports recommended the car with no repair history and continued to recommend it when they had little repair history trickling in. They'll continue to recommend it but with reservations as they get more repair history.

Great information from TrueDelta. I also wonder how many "fanboy" types either didn't fill out a CR survey or glossed over their issues. They sent the survey for my Model S and my Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Everywhere I indicated a fault or problem with Model S, no such fault or problem was indicated on the Highlander. Four year old Highlander, no issues. Not a one. Two year old Model S and I had to indicate two engine replacements and multiple other issues. In my humble opinion, Telsa is extremely lucky it has the good will it does from its owners.

Those mindless 'fanboys'. Thank you for keeping us grounded.

Maybe you should stop taking everything so personally and stop bullying those who are being honest about problems they are having with their cars. I don't understand why it isn't possible to discuss these issues openly and honestly without risk of someone like you trying to silence those who have experiences or views that differ from your own.

Last edited:
BMW and Mercedes are not an experiment. We've owned many of them over the years with generally very good results. Yes there is annoyances here and there but nothing in the category of sudden catastrophic engine failure.

I had a camshaft failure at 1300 miles in my M5. I chalked it up to infant mortality and continued to enjoy the car for 5 years. I replaced it with a next generation M5. In the first 6 months that one had the VANOS oil pump failure that plagued many early cars in that generation. My Signature Model S has had only minor issues in 20K miles. YMMV

Maybe you should stop taking everything so personally and stop bullying those who are being honest about problems they are having with their cars. I don't understand why it isn't possible to discuss these issues openly and honestly without risk of someone like you trying to silence those who have experiences or views that differ from your own.

Didnt realize I was trying to silence you. I'm glad people are bringing up issues but not everything is doom and gloom and a company that doesn't care about their customers or is lazy to boot as you often indicate. Calling people 'fanboys' is also rude and dismissive.

Didnt realize I was trying to silence you. I'm glad people are bringing up issues but not everything is doom and gloom and a company that doesn't care about their customers or is lazy to boot as you often indicate. Calling people 'fanboys' is also rude and dismissive.

I did not call you a fanboy. I did not call anyone here a fanboy. I simply said that there are those "fanboys" who were probably not very honest with their CR surveys. I made a very generic statement. I am one of Tesla's most vocal supporters and admirers. I've been called a fanboy more times than I can count, here and at TM Forums, because I wave the Tesla flag A LOT. I do wish that we can be less accusatory and more helpful and insightful. There is no need to take criticisms personally. They are not criticisms of you.