Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2 day old P85D suddenly died in the middle of an intersection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how Tesla roadside assistance works? Do they just contract with local tow truck drivers - the same drivers used by CAA, and all the other roadside assistance services? If that is the case then the 30 minute drive isn't surprising. Tons of people have cars that won't start when it gets really cold so demand >>>> supply.

Not nearly as surprising as the fact that you would write this while the post immediately before yours (mine) poked fun at the fact that people couldn't keep their facts straight and that the 30 minutes referenced WAS NOT THE LENGTH OF TIME IT TOOK FOR THE TOW TRUCK TO ARRIVE!

Not nearly as surprising as the fact that you would write this while the post immediately before yours (mine) poked fun at the fact that people couldn't keep their facts straight and that the 30 minutes referenced WAS NOT THE LENGTH OF TIME IT TOOK FOR THE TOW TRUCK TO ARRIVE!
It doesn't much matter whether the wait is on the phone or just waiting for the tow truck after someone has answered the phone. Try calling AAA when you get an extreme cold snap - it is very hard to get a call through - Ithaca gets pretty much the same weather as Toronto so I am sure you have experienced it. That is likely what was happening here - when it gets really, really cold then there aren't enough people to answer the phone for tow truck services and there aren't enough tow trucks to respond to the calls once they are answered.

It doesn't much matter whether the wait is on the phone or just waiting for the tow truck after someone has answered the phone. Try calling AAA when you get an extreme cold snap - it is very hard to get a call through - Ithaca gets pretty much the same weather as Toronto so I am sure you have experienced it. That is likely what was happening here - when it gets really, really cold then there aren't enough people to answer the phone for tow truck services and there aren't enough tow trucks to respond to the calls once they are answered.

Yes, I understand. I'm sure you are correct about that.

I was just having a little fun with that fact that you probably hadn't read my post right above yours, in which I made fun of the fact that the thread was turning into a game of telephone, and had just pointed out that it wasn't a thirty minute wait for a tow-truck. And then in the very next post you go and talk about the thirty minute wait for the tow truck. I found humor in that.

Um, I might be misunderstanding your post but I do hope you aren't including me in the "people couldn't keep their facts straight." If so, you might want to read my post over again. I was responding to a comment and my conclusion was that we shouldn't overreact, nor should be firing anyone.

Um, I might be misunderstanding your post but I do hope you aren't including me in the "people couldn't keep their facts straight." If so, you might want to read my post over again. I was responding to a comment and my conclusion was that we shouldn't overreact, nor should be firing anyone.

This is not a big deal. And I have no issue whatsoever with your conclusions.

But you were responding to a comment that had the basic fact wrong. If you hadn't read or didn't remember the details of the original post, you may not have known that. (This is where the game of telephone comes in.) But your examples, etc., of 30 minutes, 30 miles, etc. also were somewhat less than relevant because there was never an issue of 30 minutes, other than the fact that the DS was kept ON HOLD for 30 minutes. --AFTER-- that 30 minute call, the tow truck was then going to take another 60 minutes to arrive.

***** UPDATE *****

Thanks to everyone who's contributed and for some of feelings of concern. I thought I'd give everyone an update and straighten out some of the facts that may have gotten twisted in the thread.

Timeline:

Tues 5:15:

1. My wife drives my son to swimming practice and returns home at 5:45.
2. She parks on the driveway. -12C outside.

Tues 6:30:

1. I take my wife's car (since it is outside already and needs to go back into the garage when I return) and go to pick up our son from swimming practice at 6:45.

Tues 6:55:

1. Upon acceleration from a 4-way stop sign I immediately hear a big clunk and the car loses power. The messages on the dash and center screen were posted in the first post. I also lose heat.
2. I spend 5 minutes fiddling trying to get the car to go but it won't.

Tues 7:00pm:

1. I call my DS because that is the only number I have programmed in my phone. I haven't gotten around to programming roadside assistance or any other numbers.
2. While the SC is only 5 minutes away from where I broke down, the DS thought that the best use of his time is to call roadside. I agree with him. In hindsight he did the right thing.
3. DS texted me that he was on hold and called me 30 minutes later to tell me that roadside will be calling me shortly.
4. Meanwhile we push the car to the side of the intersection and I call my dad to pick us up.

Tues 7:45pm:

1. My dad arrives and takes us home.
2. Roadside calls and says tow truck will be there in an hour
3. SC maintenance calls to see how else they can help me. I asked if they could drop of a loaner because my wife and I have a busy schedule the next day and we need two cars.

Tues 8:45pm:

1. Tow arrives and I head over to the stranded car in my car.
2. Tow driver asks me to put the car in neutral and I tried but both screens are dead.
3. Several calls back and forth with SC foreman gives the driver and I step-by-step instructions to remove nose cone, jump car, put it in tow mode.

Tuesday 9:30pm:

1. I get home and find an S85 loaner on my driveway.

These time are all approximate and were reconstructed from phone logs on my iphone to the best of my ability.

Wednesday 12:00pm

1. I call Tesla SC to ask what is going on.
2. They inform me that they are still working on the car and no cause has been determined
3. They inform me that a Person With Authority (PWA) to deal with the situation will contact me a 6pm.

Wednesday 6:00pm

1. PWA calls me and says that they still don't know what happened. I told him that my wife is unwilling to drive a Tesla again. He was very sympathetic and asked for some time to sort things out.

Thursday 2:00pm

1. I call SC to see if they know what's wrong. They said:

- "Unknown" fault caused the contactors to open
- Event happened so fast that they were not recorded properly by the car systems
- After contactors were reset they can find anything wrong with the car
- After two test drives the car seems to working properly
- They will increase the frequency of recording on the car

2. Not a comforting answer IMHO.

Thursday 6:00pm

1. PWA calls me and lays out a solution that is acceptable to me. Please don't ask about the details because I will not share them out of respect for Tesla.

Friday 6:00am

I am writing this post.

---------------------------

How I feel:

1. Upset that I had bad luck with this car.
2. Not upset at Tesla in any way shape or form. In fact, I feel they did everything they could.
3. Disappointed that my wife lost faith in Tesla (not as a company but as a mode of transportation).
4. Can't wait to drive my P85D to the gym in 10 minutes.

How my wife feels:

1. All the pluses of having a P85D are greatly outweighed by having even one breakdown on the highway in the cold.
2. Would like to go back to an ICE SUV ASAP. We found one she likes and we are buying it today.
3. Not knowing what exactly happened to the car and what the root cause is reconfirmed her decision to not want a Tesla anymore.
4. Willing to re-consider a Tesla in a few years if she sees good results from mine.

That's all folks!

Osama

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your contactor failure, and your wife's loss of faith. I had the contactor failure as well almost a year ago, but fortunately I was able to restart the car, and drive back to my garage. It is the only issue I have ever had with the car, and it has never happened again. Hopefully your wife will come back around in a year, and you can get her a Model X...that's what I am doing with mine!

Probably the only better action would have been for the SC to drive a loaner to you so you could be on your way while he wated for the tow truck. Still, I agree that Tesla's actions were good ones. I have been stuck in similar weather waiting on a tow truck and it was no fun. It was a lesson in why I need to keep appropriate clothing in the plane. All I could think about was how bad it would be if the wait was days vs. an hour.

I hope your car fares better. I can understand your wife's feelings; especially with no root cause identification. Besides, if the wife isn't happy then no one is happy.

Here's hoping the 6.1 update makes things a little more upbeat in your Tesla world.

Thanks for following up with the details @osama. I'm still trying to get over the double D purchase!!

I've seen/read this happening to Model Ss infrequently but the response from Tesla Motors to try to make it right I've seen every time. I am sure they will pour over the car and it will hopefully make all of our Ss better.

- Event happened so fast that they were not recorded properly by the car systems

This is the most interesting part. I think it is important to mention that the contactors opened *under load*. IMO after working with electronics and things with similar systems, those contactors are likely shot and should not be used anymore, depending on the actual load they were under. If it was during acceleration, even light acceleration, there was likely more than 100A flowing through them and then BAM, they open under load, arc and scorch part of the contacts, etc. Leads to higher resistance on those contacts, and would cause them to heat more during use, and thus more likely to fail.

Resetting them would definitely not be an acceptable solution to me. They would need to be replaced or even I probably wouldn't feel comfortable driving it.

I'm glad Tesla had an acceptable solution, and I respect that you are not publicly sharing it.

Good luck with your P85D, and good luck with whatever the wife ends up with! I hope whatever it is at least somewhat awesome. Keep us updated. :)

Osama, thanks for the update. Glad things worked out to your satisfaction. You mentioned that you are looking at the Cayenne as a replacement, did you consider the plug in hybrid model they offer? It would give your wife some electric range , the HOV Green Plate and also qualify for a partial Ontario Rebate. Hopefully down the road if she is happy with your Model S experience she can then upgrade to the Model X...

1. I call SC to see if they know what's wrong. They said:

- After two test drives the car seems to working properly
- They will increase the frequency of recording on the car

2. Not a comforting answer IMHO.

Yeah no kidding. Not knowing what's wrong and simply resetting the car wouldn't leave me with a lot of comfort. I'd be pretty uncomfrotable driving a car with an unknown problem.

I'm guessing your agreeable solution means you no longer own the car and so I suspect we won't know any more about this car.

Osama, thanks for the update. Glad things worked out to your satisfaction. You mentioned that you are looking at the Cayenne as a replacement, did you consider the plug in hybrid model they offer? It would give your wife some electric range , the HOV Green Plate and also qualify for a partial Ontario Rebate. Hopefully down the road if she is happy with your Model S experience she can then upgrade to the Model X...

In my mind, a hybrid is almost the the worse of both world. You have twice as many things that can break and lack the elegance of a pure electric or pure ICE. We decided to get a Cayenne S. Picking it up on Tuesday.

In my mind, a hybrid is almost the the worse of both world. You have twice as many things that can break and lack the elegance of a pure electric or pure ICE. We decided to get a Cayenne S. Picking it up on Tuesday.

Actually, in my experience, the hybrids and plug-in hybrids actually are pretty reliable. While you say are twice as many things to break, I say redundancy. :)

In my Volt, I've had the ICE engine have an issue in the cold where it wouldn't start. In a regular ICE this would be a problem. In the Volt I just charged it up and drove it to the service center. hehe.

My fiance had an issue with the EV portion of a Prius before... no issue, since it can just keep running inefficiently in the mean time directly off the ICE.

Would it make sense for Tesla to have an easy to understand basic towing guide available in the car so service for breakdowns like these can be expedited?

I noticed Osama mention that it took a call to the SC to jump start and have it towed. I am not sure how upset he was that his 2 day old very expensive car died but its tempting to have told the SC where it is parked and let them handle the tow after picking the FOB from you.

Sorry to hear about your contactor failure, and your wife's loss of faith. I had the contactor failure as well almost a year ago, but fortunately I was able to restart the car, and drive back to my garage. It is the only issue I have ever had with the car, and it has never happened again. Hopefully your wife will come back around in a year, and you can get her a Model X...that's what I am doing with mine!

Interesting to note that the SC specifically said a "fault caused the contactors to open." That doesn't mean the fault was in the contactors themselves. The car is designed to open the contactors and de-energize the HV system in the event a fault is detected. Such faults can come from numerous places - internal to the battery, the inverter, the DC-to-DC converter, etc.

Given the log didn't catch where the fault originated from, I'd be concerned there is a lingering electrical issue someplace. I probably wouldn't want to risk future gremlins popping up either. Taking a buy back offer here was a smart route.

Glad to hear the offer was satisfactory and confirms the "happiness guarantee" does apply to purchases (as Elon said).

Thank you for sharing the story from the beginning to the end. Under the circumstances, all parties played their role well - perhaps aside from the car itself failing, but even that happens sometimes. Tesla's reaction seems good and I respect them for that. What it is, understandably, is always a souring experience for the end-user(s) - maybe others would have been more forgiving, others might have been even more infuriated, but in any case it sucks. Even so, it is also an important informative anecdotal experience, so I thank the OP for providing us with these pointers.

I think one important angle, from an EV adoption and social perspective, that some commenters clearly glossed over is the higher expectations set on a BEV compared to ICE or even hybrids when targeting a non-early adopter audience. It was once the same from horses to ICEs. It is no use bemoaning the fact, it remains a thing that will guide customer expectations and experiences for some time to come. From the get-go, I was very sympathetic to OP's concern and respect over his wife's reaction, because they are not unfamiliar concerns to me or a lot of people I know. This is a hill BEVs must climb and it doesn't help ICEs break down too (and they do). One, a new technology like BEV may have more common teething problems, so it is perfectly fair to put a finer tooth comb on Tesla issues (and BMW i3 issues which seem plenty), but just or more importantly it will have suspicion related to acceptance that will exaggreate the reaction towards any issues encountered. It doesn't make the OP or his wife unreasonable, it makes them human. Nobody should have to make a large investment like a car purchase with the mind that they need to cope with it, either it works for them or it doesn't (within one's means, of course).

One takeaway is that "going after" (as in some comments) the OP and his wife for their seemingly reactive decision-making is futile, because that won't win the day for BEVs overall, nor Tesla, nor will it help OP and his wife. This kind of stuff will continue to happen with others, too, so Tesla and communities need a constructive approach to it. In larger populations, statistics probably also play a part. I know this may differ from country to country, but there are some recent studies that women on average have a less trusting relationship with technology than men. That is, on average, it doesn't mean every man or woman are optimistic or pessimistic about technology respectively, of course. This is not to say one gender is right or wrong either, it just means one gender on average is a little more likely to downplay technological issues and the other is a little more likely to feel more strongly about them. Women, on average, also seem to be more safety conscious, so conservatice choices relate to that as well - offset some by the fact that on average women are more environmentally conscious than men. And I won't even go to the mined territory of which gender may prefer SUVs to children's practice runs... ;) Except to say the answer to the latter question is very different in Europe compared to North America.

In other words, men are, on average, doofuses that are more easily tricked into new technology that strands them on the side of the read. It's the same or similar reason that puts men into more accidents (on and off the road) as well. There is also the case of early adopters (which the OP may to an extent be) pushing their optimistic choices to their family members and relatives - sometimes maybe too soon for mutual comfort. Buying two P85D's at the same time certainly seems like that kind of a move, when the wife probably would have been happy remaining in an ICE SUV. I'm easily guilty of this kind of thinking sometimes, too, although OPs reasons for doing so may or may not be similar than mine. Anyway, I sympathize. It seems to me in the OPs case, the reasons for buying the second P85D weren't necessarily the wife's reasons in the first place, so it is more understandable for her to have suspicions. I don't necessarily think the OP was wrong to try, I think he was brave to try and it was good of his wife to accept to give it a go, but this time it just didn't work out to their personal standards and situation.

I do wish for the sake of both the OP and his wife that it would have worked out, because I too think his wife could have enjoyed the car over time, but also respect the fact that OP took his wife's ultimate concerns to heart and decided to postpone the decision for some years. That's love, too. What excites one group of customers does not necessarily excite the other. A Tesla is not necessarily a better experience at all if the BEV thing doesn't do it for you and you remain, for whatever reason, anxious about getting stranded at any given moment - no matter how irrational the thought. Not all will care about the genius of what Tesla is doing, some people just want to get from A to B within their comfort zone, and nothing wrong with that. For the OP's wife, Tesla failed to deliver within her personal comfort zone. That's just the way it went this time.

Either part of a couple having a more enthusiastic and the other a more reserved attitude towards BEVs is surely a reality - and to an extent a problem - in many homes. Sharing experiences about the social side of it all too, can be, if not always helpful, at least therapeutic. So, again, thank you and good luck. Also thank you to those that offered good speculation and experiences on the reasons why this happened (interesting 12V and contactor talk), and offered some suggestions as solutions (like buying the car). Good stuff, guys.