Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2021 MY is totaled at 6k miles. Is FSD transferable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone give me a Tesla contact? I have a hard time getting an answer. Went to the Sales Center and was told NO, but I don’t know if the agent knows.

I hardly used my FSD on 2021 MY, but got into an accident and the car was totaled. I will either order a new one or get a used 2021. Seems like it’s just software, I should be able to transfer or at least get a prorated discount for FSD on my next MY.

On another front, I am still fighting with insurance to have FSD included in the value as other comparables have no FSD a d they went with those.

Anyone has gone through similar experience? TIA.

Your car's value decreases around 20% to 30% by the end of the first year

Don’t know why they are looking at comparable cars? Take a copy of your the car’s original purchase order, which I assume includes FSD, and negotiate from that.

Could someone give me a Tesla contact? I have a hard time getting an answer. Went to the Sales Center and was told NO, but I don’t know if the agent knows.

I hardly used my FSD on 2021 MY, but got into an accident and the car was totaled. I will either order a new one or get a used 2021. Seems like it’s just software, I should be able to transfer or at least get a prorated discount for FSD on my next MY.

On another front, I am still fighting with insurance to have FSD included in the value as other comparables have no FSD a d they went with those.

Did you buy FSD as part of your original vehicle order? Or was it an add-on after the fact?

This will determine whether your insurance will cover it.

The software license is not transferable to a new vehicle.

If FSD isn’t listed on the window sticker will your insurance still give you anything for it even with proof of purchase. Do you need to update your policy if you buy it after the fact? Which is why the “subscription” makes more sense than an out right purchase.

If FSD isn’t listed on the window sticker will your insurance still give you anything for it even with proof of purchase. Do you need to update your policy if you buy it after the fact? Which is why the “subscription” makes more sense than an out right purchase.
No they will not. You need a separate line item on your policy and most insurance companies will not issue coverage due to the $10K price. Most only cover “accessories” up to $5K.

Pretty sure insurance companies don’t care about market value. If they did the OP should get more than he paid, and we all know that is not going to happen. ;)
The insurance companies absolutely do care and do base their payouts on FMV for a 1 to 1 replacement cost in case of a total loss. If the OP can show the $10k option purchased on the original contract, it is deemed "original factory equipment" which means you will be compensated to replace that as well. Best way to deal with this is to tell the insurance company that you will hire a lawyer in which case, if they lose, and they will, they have to pay for the cost of the attorney as well and thus will settle.

If not by market value of recent sales of comparable vehicles, how do insurance companies determine payout amount?

Turns out there are loads of varying answers to this question. One answer seems to be that they use the wholesale dealer price as FMV, then reduce this by your deductible, Others are far more cryptic. For example:

"Most car insurance companies use industry formulas to calculate car ACVs, meaning it’s hard to predict exactly what number they’ll come up with after your car is totaled. It’s not as simple as just looking up your car’s Kelley Blue Book value. As we mentioned above, your insurer will take into account your car’s age, mileage, any past claims you’ve made and the effect of months or years of normal wear and tear on your vehicle."

As a general rule of thumb, you should NEVER take the word of your insurance company as law. Especially regarding how they "calculate" what the payout should be. They are in the business of making money just like every other business and NOT paying out what is truly owed with whatever excuse they can provide is their #1 priority. Please don't kid yourselves. They don't cared about the insured, nor are they fiduciary. All they care about is making the smallest payout possible in case of loss.

If you have a strong case, don't go at it alone. Hire an accident lawyer. It's in their best interest to get the largest payout possible from the insurance company so that they too get a larger paycheck at the end of the process.

I don't think it is but you should be paid for it by your insurance company I would think.
It is an option that increased the value of the vehicle. And if you happen to have a policy that pays replacement value it would be easier.
Insurance companies often low ball. They count on the majority of people accepting it.
Fight with them on the value. Especially of the accident was someone else's

I don't think it is but you should be paid for it by your insurance company I would think.
It is an option that increased the value of the vehicle. And if you happen to have a policy that pays replacement value it would be easier.
Insurance companies often low ball. They count on the majority of people accepting it.
Fight with them on the value. Especially of the accident was someone else's
Once again this all depends on WHEN the FSD purchase was made. OP has not chimed back in on that.

Pretty sure insurance companies don’t care about market value. If they did the OP should get more than he paid, and we all know that is not going to happen. ;)
That’s…not true. It really depends on what insurance you have.

My personal experience: After I ordered my Y, my old car that I planned on trading in was caught in a flash flood and totaled. Trade in or sale (and I priced it out in several places) would have been around 20k. Insurance is paying out 31k because the type of plan I have takes into account the current market value of the car and allows you to choose the higher of that or their pre-determined estimate.

Reactions: AquaY
Depends on your insurance. If you have replacement value they will need to comp your car with equilivent equipment and mode.
You cannot transfer your FSD to a new car, but insurance should pay you for the value it has when looking at comparable cars.

That’s…not true. It really depends on what insurance you have.

My personal experience: After I ordered my Y, my old car that I planned on trading in was caught in a flash flood and totaled. Trade in or sale (and I priced it out in several places) would have been around 20k. Insurance is paying out 31k because the type of plan I have takes into account the current market value of the car and allows you to choose the higher of that or their pre-determined estimate.
Who’s your insurance carrier—I’m switching!

As a general rule of thumb, you should NEVER take the word of your insurance company as law. Especially regarding how they "calculate" what the payout should be. They are in the business of making money just like every other business and NOT paying out what is truly owed with whatever excuse they can provide is their #1 priority. Please don't kid yourselves. They don't cared about the insured, nor are they fiduciary. All they care about is making the smallest payout possible in case of loss.

If you have a strong case, don't go at it alone. Hire an accident lawyer. It's in their best interest to get the largest payout possible from the insurance company so that they too get a larger paycheck at the end of the process.
I've owned one car that was totaled. Hiring a lawyer to handle the case is the best option. I more than recovered my legal fees and was able to purchase a car similar to the one that was totaled.

To make my case for a Diminished Value claim, I found comparable vehicles on Cargurus with the same options and similar mileage. You can look at other sites as well but this is what the Geico insurance adjuster suggested I use as they include the VIN which is necessary for the claim. 2021 Tesla Model Y for Sale in Seattle, WA - CarGurus

Most used car dealers are still pretty horrible at displaying if a vehicle has FSD or not but if they do miraculously have a pic of the correct info screen showing the option, that would help. Hopefully, you can make the case for getting paid higher than you originally paid since (1) MY prices have increased this year (2) used MYs are selling higher than new due to delivery delays. Worst case you order a new one off or inventory and insurance covers the cost of a new MY order, which is likely better for them considering FMV of MY is extremely high right now.