Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My anxiety filled journey from an intelligent 60 to a loaded P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First and foremost, I am a bit neurotic, enjoy fine cars but not really a passionate car "nut", considered to be frugal by some, fiscally conservative and cautious by many.

So.......my (then) 12 year old son started bugging me to check out Tesla and on a trip to Seattle several years ago we happened upon a Tesla store. We took a Roadster out for a bit and I was hooked. The nature of the effortless, powerful acceleration coupled with the noticeably quiet environment led me to conclude that I had to have a Tesla. But a Roadster,? 2 Seater? How could I justify this......

Well, the Model S was coming out "soon" and it made much more sense to order a car more suitable for my family - after all, that reasoning helped with my rationalization to purchase a $65,000. car of "new" technology, with limited range and questionable prospects for a real world charging solutions. Purchasing from a start up at a time when auto manufacturers were failing at a pretty steady clip didn't really fit into my persona of a fiscal conservative. In my many anxious moments, I would tell myself, hey it's a family car, good for the environment and priced at a level consistent with some of my other autos. So, I put my $5,000. refundable deposit down in Sept 2011. And over the next many months... I still would get VERY anxious.

I started with a base 60 - I thought, hey it's a great, sensible way for me to go, with more than enough range for most of my driving. I would still have an ICE vehicle for those longer journeys.

And then the erosion of my willpower began......

Well, geez, I really should get the 85 as that seemed to make more sense - it expanded my driving range options. Then over many months the thought of ordering the Performance 85, 21" wheels, getting leather, technology package, upgraded audio, panoramic roof, air suspension, metallic paint all began to weigh on and make sense to me......I began to rationalize my "need" for all of those options but..... ok, this was way out of my target price and beyond anything I ever had expected. I bit the bullet (gulp!) and finalized my order in 1/13 with the final, final, final option (and increase in price) of multi-coat red. BTW - before this...there was NO way I was getting a red car, just no way.... until I saw the multicoat (or what I thought was) - it was stunning. This is one expensive car!!!!!.... but I loved it and there are no more options that I could possibly want....right?

Well......2 months later and .....damn you Elon Musk......a performance plus option??? No way..not going to do it....don't need it.... how much more?, what are the benefits??? Will I really need it, feel it, appreciate it?

Needless to say, I bit a bigger bullet and went ALL IN.

Also...just to be clear, along with all of my other anxiety around the car I REALLY became concerned about the 21" wheels and the risks/expense associated with them - what had I done? (I did say earlier that I am a bit neurotic).

I took delivery last week of my P85+, multi red, 21" silver, tan, matt obeche, pano, Model S and I have never, ever been happier (I know it's still early) with a car. The sheer effortless power is breathtaking, the handling and cornering is incredible. The color is gorgeous and it is really hard to capture the depth of it's beauty with a camera lens. The overall build quality is very impressive.

The car however, is NOT perfect. I have issues with inconstant backup camera operation , no microphone recognition on my iPhone, spotty 3G (internet radio drop out) even though my phone 3 G is fine and also minor body fit issues. Tesla service has been very responsive and I hope to have these items resolved soon. I REALLY love the modern interior however the absence of concealed storage, better placed cup holders, interior roof handles and better quality mats are all misses in my estimation for a $100,000 car. The aesthetic would not be compromised if those items were handled in a thoughtful way. We shouldn't have to spend another $1,000. just to get console storage!

My only regret so far.... not buying TSLA when it was at $27 when my (then) 14 yr old son Ethan encouraged me to do so....smart kid. He got to meet Elon and George last year - a real highlight! Thanks Ethan, for making me a Tesla believer.

Also, I had XPEL film put on the hood, front and rear bumper, headlights along with 3M Crystalline 70 window tint - all done by Detailing Dynamics on Long Island (66 Windsor Ave Mineola, NY 11501 (516) 747-4114). Eddie and his team did a magnificent job. I have no affiliation with them but I highly recommend the company.

So that it my journey so far....... from an extravagant expense of a $65,000 very fine automobile to the blissful ownership of $110,000+ of a really fast, movable (along with well made and incredible handling) piece of art. My neurosis in check -I'm happy.

Don't fret too much - order whichever S works for you - you will not be disappointed.

When I decided a Model S was for me, there was no question that it had to be an 85 kWh. I'd had the LEAF for about a year, and it is a fine EV, but now I wanted range. The test drive in a performance was a hoot. Chirping the tires with four people aboard was a thrill, but an 80 year old geezer doesn't need that. Zero to sixty in 5.5 would be just dandy.

No roof option, as I really never cared for the open roof, and skip the audio upgrade as the hearing is shot. So, standard 85 with everything else.

Well, now that I've had the pleasure of instant, quite, effortless acceleration for several months, guess who regrets not ponying up the 10 or 12 K for the P.:wink:

A very similar thing happened to me. Although I started with a stripped down 40 kWh and stopped at an 85 kWh with a few key options when financial realities finally intervened. I've had the car for over three months and I still absolutely love the damn thing :)

Thanks folks - nice to know that I am not alone in my self torture :scared: and I am happy (but not surprised) to hear that you are all still loving the car. My path to ownership has certainly been easier as a result of all of the knowledge and experience provided through this forum. I thank you all for sharing and felt an obligation to give back to the forum and maybe provide some of those on the fence with a degree of comfort to move forward. This car and this company are game changers.

Thanks folks - nice to know that I am not alone in my self torture :scared: and I am happy (but not surprised) to hear that you are all still loving the car. My path to ownership has certainly been easier as a result of all of the knowledge and experience provided through this forum. I thank you all for sharing and felt an obligation to give back to the forum and maybe provide some of those on the fence with a degree of comfort to move forward. This car and this company are game changers.
There's a dangerous habit I've picked up when it comes to purchasing "more than I need." Basically, ask yourself the question: "In a year, will I regret not getting ___ or not having $___." I say dangerous because usually the answer is "the former."

I think you'll find the same thing happened to many of us. There's a lot of "rationalization" that happens when contemplating a Model S purchase. I managed to at least keep myself from getting the Performance model, but don't think the decision didn't cause a few sleepless nights! Enjoy your car. I am. ;-)

I originally intended the 60 then upgraded to the 85, fairly fully loaded (see below). I just couldn't justify the 12k for the performance and really couldn't have for the perf +. Way more than I want to spend. That being said, when I saw they might have the ability to retrofit, I have moments of weakness. When they announced the trade-in program, I have moments of weakness.

Still, the car is so satisfying. I'm planning to get the squeak in my pano roof fixed - mostly for the opportunity to drive the perf version!

Thanks for sharing... Deposit in December to lock in pricing, Cold Feet in March when asked to finalize. Two test drives later, almost ready to finalize. June 6 finally off the fence, 85 standard, pano etc, but really wanted the "P" how could I justify the $$$. Saturday attended the Mt. Evans Road Rally, spent 4 hours in an S... OK that was easy, but really like the look of the spoiler and carbon fiber dash. Told wife, She gave the best advice..."Just get the exact options that you want" Called Telsa on Monday... Told car was already in production.. Couldn't upgrade...:cursing:.. Email and Phone pleas and 2 days later will be getting the P85! Hooray! Thank you Tesla! Delivery scheduled in 2 weeks!
What a roller-coaster ride...

I'm finally sleeping better. Time to clean up the garage!

It's funny how so many of us have the same story to tell....i initially started to order a 85kw, the got cold feet when they asked me to lock in pricing in december...so I changed my deposit to the Model X....then I saw the model s and test drove it again.....I rationalized that I should just get the 85Kw fully loaded....then since it was only 10K more for the P85 I changed my mind again...only to go back and forth about getting the P85+ instead.....I must have gone back and forth about 50 times. But I somehow rationalized that since I was already spending 100K for the car, to just plurge and go for it without even driving the P85+.......then locked in my order. But I had a change of color and put in a request 2 days ago for the pearl white(we shall see if they will allow it)....and now waiting impatiently for the car to arrive on June 27.
I agree what a roller coaster ride....

I originally intended the 60 then upgraded to the 85, fairly fully loaded (see below). I just couldn't justify the 12k for the performance and really couldn't have for the perf +. Way more than I want to spend. That being said, when I saw they might have the ability to retrofit, I have moments of weakness. When they announced the trade-in program, I have moments of weakness.

Still, the car is so satisfying. I'm planning to get the squeak in my pano roof fixed - mostly for the opportunity to drive the perf version!

So true.
60kWh, no wait 85
Black, no wait - grey...yeah, grey.
Pano - maybe, no, yes, - I'll get rid of that and add the AAS - yeah, that's more important.
19's or 21? Is it worth the cost? What to do?
"Get what you want.....No regrets - it's a beautiful car you will enjoy" (he says to himself)

6 weeks later, happy blissful driving, smiles every time i step toward it....happier still when i'm inside driving it.
No regrets.