Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Auto-park malfunctioned and Tesla denied it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I just encountered an auto-park malfunction during the back-in parking with auto-park engaged. It started perfectly but it never stopped and hit the wall in the back side of the car causing the bumper and backdoor to damage. I immediately reported to Tesla and was told they will get back to me with findings from the logs. I kept sending emails to them for the result of investigation but they only responded with one email saying they are waiting for the result.
Today I popped into the local service center and asked them to look into the case. They said to me the trace shows I never turned on auto-park function during the backup parking. This is a BIG SURPRISE to me and I never expected they totally lied about the incident.

Has anyone else encountered similar incident and Tesla also denied of any malfunction of the features? Fortunately I have a witness who was just outside of my car and saw how the car drove and hit the wall.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences if you have

Ray
One more question to you guys. do all logs saved both locally and in Tesla facility? If so how long will the data be stored? Can Tesla guy legally modify the logs (if they do it's criminal offense). How I can pull the logs with helps from professionals?

One more question to you guys. do all logs saved both locally and in Tesla facility? If so how long will the data be stored? Can Tesla guy legally modify the logs (if they do it's criminal offense). How I can pull the logs with helps from professionals?
There are ways of pulling the logs yourself or with the assistance of professionals but I'm sure it's too late since this happened so long ago

In general 2 months ago and in a car repaired by Tesla I would think most of the logs in the car are long gone at this time. Typically there are at most about 2 weeks of general logs stored (probably even less for canbus logs on the gateway)

Note to future unlucky people, if you have ANY sort of accident that you have any questions about you better pull the logs ASAP, if you have no ability to pull them but plan to commission someone, try to at least power down the car systems (like pull the breaker to autopilot and mcu?) soon. Do not connect to wifi.

If airbags deployed or you side-sweeped something - definitely try to powerdown the autopilot unit (behind the glove box, accessible with the side panel to the right, pull the blue rectangular connector out) - this is safe to do since on airbag deploy the HV contactors would not close anymore so it's not like you'd be driving this car for some time.

Edit: I stand corrected, gateway logs are never wiped and reportedly last years so there's a chance.

Gotta always be careful with autopark. It’s not perfect. I think they changed their policy of accepting responsibility.
I've never used it because I find sometimes when reversing I see the distance count down and as I'm waiting for the 'Stop' message it never shows nor is there an solid tone warning. That to me says the system has no hope of getting it right 100% of the time without the driver still being in control, just like auto pilot can't 'see' pot holes in the road, wouldn't trust that around town either.
Unfortunately my friend who owns a GM car (with a manual transmission) manages to get his car to self park every time :(

In general 2 months ago and in a car repaired by Tesla I would think most of the logs in the car are long gone at this time. Typically there are at most about 2 weeks of general logs stored (probably even less for canbus logs on the gateway)

Note to future unlucky people, if you have ANY sort of accident that you have any questions about you better pull the logs ASAP, if you have no ability to pull them but plan to commission someone, try to at least power down the car systems (like pull the breaker to autopilot and mcu?) soon. Do not connect to wifi.

If airbags deployed or you side-sweeped something - definitely try to powerdown the autopilot unit (behind the glove box, accessible with the side panel to the right, pull the blue rectangular connector out) - this is safe to do since on airbag deploy the HV contactors would not close anymore so it's not like you'd be driving this car for some time.

Edit: I stand corrected, gateway logs are never wiped and reportedly last years so there's a chance.
Very good advice in deed. A friend of mine to me that Tesla can easily log into your car and wipe out the logs if it's against them. He suggested my logs have been wiped by Tesla guys if they now tell you that you never used Auto-pilot. Anyway, I'm ready to file a lawsuit against them and have judge demand them to turn in the gateway logs stored in their data center.

Hey, I just encountered an auto-park malfunction during the back-in parking with auto-park engaged. It started perfectly but it never stopped and hit the wall in the back side of the car causing the bumper and backdoor to damage. I immediately reported to Tesla and was told they will get back to me with findings from the logs. I kept sending emails to them for the result of investigation but they only responded with one email saying they are waiting for the result.
Today I popped into the local service center and asked them to look into the case. They said to me the trace shows I never turned on auto-park function during the backup parking. This is a BIG SURPRISE to me and I never expected they totally lied about the incident.

Has anyone else encountered similar incident and Tesla also denied of any malfunction of the features? Fortunately I have a witness who was just outside of my car and saw how the car drove and hit the wall.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences if you have

Ray

Can you tell us the steps you took to engage Autopark, what was displayed on the center screen,...?

Can you tell us the steps you took to engage Autopark, what was displayed on the center screen,...?
When I shifted to reverse gear to back in the parking spot, there is a sound and also a display on the main dashboard with "Start" button for Auto-parking. I actually wasn't able to push the button the first time but it showed up again after the backup was started. Then I pressed "start", another beep heard with screen showing it's under Auto-parking mode and then the car started to line up along the parking spot. It was perfectly done but it didn't stop at all and hit the wall with the same speed from beginning of the backup. I was fully in trust with the function (never used it before) so didn't put my foot on the brake pedal. When I realized it wasn't going to stop it's already too late.

I had trusted Tesla will tell me what's wrong about the autopilot feature and admits the function failure, that's why I didn't try to get the logs myself. Now I'm not sure if it's the company behavior or just by the individual who's instructed by their management to tell the lies. But either way, the company committed criminals and should be held accountable for doing this.

Reactions: 1375mlm
After the 2nd time you pressed "start", did the car turn the steering wheel on its own or drive forward then back again? If I remember correctly, on the center screen there should have been an animation of the parking spot. Did you see it?

Were there any objects between the back of the car and the wall like poles? How tall was the wall? Are there any openings in the wall at bumper height that could have fooled the sensors in thinking there was no wall?

While I fully expect Tesla to blame the driver for failing to monitor the system, I do not believe they would state that autopark wasn't engaged if it had been.

Therefore, I must assume miscommunication somewhere...
No miscommunication at all. I also thought the Tesla will present the fact. However when I was at service center, the service manager read the notes in the PC from engineering by saying, during the specific time duration, the car was shifted from forward to reverse and no auto-parking function engaged. I'm going to demand their full description of the incident and then decide the next step I'm going to take. It's very possible that they artificially avoided to say something very specific. I'm 100% sure if they had to show the original logs from their central data depository, it will clearly display the fact that the function didn't work correctly.

Logs can be pulled from more than a few months ago. I've pulled logs 2+ months old (for training actually). We can't change them. There's no way to edit them. Imagine an oscilloscope handheld scanner for a traditional ICE vehicle. It's pretty much the same thing, but we can see the past and present.

Auto park is apart of auto pilot and in its beta phase. There is a disclaimer you hit agree on before using any of those features. You are liable for all damage. I've seen this happen with summon as well. I'm always at the ready with the keyfob to override summon if I think it will hit something

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and DriveMe
After the 2nd time you pressed "start", did the car turn the steering wheel on its own or drive forward then back again? If I remember correctly, on the center screen there should have been an animation of the parking spot. Did you see it?

Were there any objects between the back of the car and the wall like poles? How tall was the wall? Are there any openings in the wall at bumper height that could have fooled the sensors in thinking there was no wall?
It started with doing everything on itself and I had hands off the steering and removed my foot from brake pedal. the parking spot has cars on both sides and backside is the wall of in-door parking structure at my work.
Yes the screen has some display which was different from normal manual driving.

I've attached three photos taken from the scene and sent to Tesla right after the incident happened. One you can see the back wall, other two showed two sides where cars parked
IMG_20181101_133514.jpg
IMG_20181101_133524.jpg
IMG_20181101_133524.jpg
IMG_20181101_134038.jpg

It started with doing everything on itself and I had hands off the steering and removed my foot from brake pedal. the parking spot has cars on both sides and backside is the wall of in-door parking structure at my work.
Yes the screen has some display which was different from normal manual driving.

I've attached three photos taken from the scene and sent to Tesla right after the incident happened. One you can see the back wall, other two showed two sides where cars parked View attachment 365110 View attachment 365113 View attachment 365113 View attachment 365114
Logs can be pulled from more than a few months ago. I've pulled logs 2+ months old (for training actually). We can't change them. There's no way to edit them. Imagine an oscilloscope handheld scanner for a traditional ICE vehicle. It's pretty much the same thing, but we can see the past and present.

Auto park is apart of auto pilot and in its beta phase. There is a disclaimer you hit agree on before using any of those features. You are liable for all damage. I've seen this happen with summon as well. I'm always at the ready with the keyfob to override summon if I think it will hit something

It's great to know and would you be willing to share with me how to pull it off my car? That will really help me to get the fact straight. I also have a witness from the building administration who was just next to my car and watch my backup and shocked when seeing my car hit back wall.

It's great to know and would you be willing to share with me how to pull it off my car? That will really help me to get the fact straight. I also have a witness from the building administration who was just next to my car and watch my backup and shocked when seeing my car hit back wall.
We can pull logs if there is an open work order while it's in for service. If they found no alerts present during that time then it really is a weird glitch. They aren't calling you a liar. Issues happen and sometimes an alert isn't present. If we don't see an alert, we might not know which direction to take.

Sounds like auto park was engaged. Having cars on both sides and a solid wall in back was the ideal setting for a successful park.
That's probably the reason why I had full trust of the function. But I was wrong then. The repair costs almost $5K with my out of pocket of $1K as deductible. My insurance company will go after Tesla for the whole costs and then pay me back $1K. Will see.