Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

my brand new MXLR just died in my garage (while plugged in)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just picked up my MXLR 2023, drove fine from SC. With plenty of miles left, I left it plugged in my garage. The next morning, card key didn't work. The app couldn't connect to the car. Car was completely unresponsive. Could it be just the 12v battery? Is this common?
TIA!

So I just picked up my MXLR 2023, drove fine from SC. With plenty of miles left, I left it plugged in my garage. The next morning, card key didn't work. The app couldn't connect to the car. Car was completely unresponsive. Could it be just the 12v battery? Is this common?
TIA!
Does not sound familiar. Did you use the phone app and the last entry for "Roadside" Assistance?
Or call: Roadside Assistance | Tesla Support

Also note that you can open the frunk (see manual) and jump the 12v in a desperate situation. I've done that on a roadtrip. I wouldn't think there'd be a problem with your new 12v lithium battery tho.

Does not sound familiar. Did you use the phone app and the last entry for "Roadside" Assistance?

Also note that you can open the frunk (see manual) and jump the 12v in a desperate situation. I've done that on a roadtrip. I wouldn't think there'd be a problem with your new 12v lithium battery tho.
Hmm yeah it may be my HV pack. I already scheduled with mobile unit. Hopefully nothing serious. My car on the lot was very low on battery and so we had to wait 30mins to be charged.

...Is this common?...
No, but the symptoms point to the depleted low-voltage battery (15.5 V lithium in your case).

Hopefully, it's just a simple bad battery, and a simple swap would fix it.

Otherwise, the battery might be excellent, but something may prevent charging. That could be software or hardware (like a DC-to-DC converter...)

TIA!
It has happed before, but I do not think it is common. The new low voltage system is supposed to be much more reliable. The only problem is, the new Lithium battery is not 12v. The refresh changed the low voltage system to 16 volts. I would not recommend jumping from another vehicle (it may damage the other vehicle).

Mobile Service can probably get you going and/or replace the lithium battery. If not, you will need to tow the vehicle to the Service Center. But if you can get Mobile Service out, and the mobile tech decides the shop is required, they can arrange for the tow.

It has happed before, but I do not think it is common. The new low voltage system is supposed to be much more reliable. The only problem is, the new Lithium battery is not 12v. The refresh changed the low voltage system to 16 volts. I would not recommend jumping from another vehicle (it may damage the other vehicle).

Mobile Service can probably get you going and/or replace the lithium battery. If not, you will need to tow the vehicle to the Service Center. But if you can get Mobile Service out, and the mobile tech decides the shop is required, they can arrange for the tow.
You cannot use your X to jump another vehicle but you can use another vehicle to jump your X ... per the manual.

Jump Starting the Low Voltage Battery​

CAUTION Model X cannot be used to jump start another vehicle. Doing so can result in damage.
Note If jump starting Model X using another vehicle, refer to that vehicle manufacturer's instructions. The following instructions assume an external low voltage power supply (such as a portable jump starter) is used.

I found out today they're ordering something called power conversion system, there was an internal fault, according to them. Any idea what PCS does or is?

I had a similar thing happen...2016 X was parked with battery over 50% charged. Opened and closed doors and trunk a couple times at 11am then when I went to drive at 4pm, the car was completely unresponsive. Mirrors did not unfold upon approach, doors would not open when handle pressed, fob could not open doors..tesla app could not connect. Tesla service tried to access over the air, but could not and then suggested a tow. After 90 minutes waiting for a tow, driver came and said he had the wrong truck for the job and he would have to come back the next day. I left the car in the lot and Uber'd home. The next day, when I arrived at the car, the app could connect and everything seemed normal. The only variation I observed is the FWD would not open and just created a chime when attempting to open. Upon entering, I saw the display noting that a door calibration was required. After the calibration everything appeared normal. When I arrived at the service center, they looked at the logs and said the EMMC (?) was MIA for a few hours....Still under extended warranty so I hope they can find the problem and fix it. The only other thing out of the usual was that I had tried to access the tesla app new feature that analyzed power efficiency earlier in the day...Don't know if that had any influence on the issue...Anyone else had something like this happen??

I had a similar thing happen...2016 X was parked with battery over 50% charged. Opened and closed doors and trunk a couple times at 11am then when I went to drive at 4pm, the car was completely unresponsive. Mirrors did not unfold upon approach, doors would not open when handle pressed, fob could not open doors..tesla app could not connect. Tesla service tried to access over the air, but could not and then suggested a tow. After 90 minutes waiting for a tow, driver came and said he had the wrong truck for the job and he would have to come back the next day. I left the car in the lot and Uber'd home. The next day, when I arrived at the car, the app could connect and everything seemed normal. The only variation I observed is the FWD would not open and just created a chime when attempting to open. Upon entering, I saw the display noting that a door calibration was required. After the calibration everything appeared normal. When I arrived at the service center, they looked at the logs and said the EMMC (?) was MIA for a few hours....Still under extended warranty so I hope they can find the problem and fix it. The only other thing out of the usual was that I had tried to access the tesla app new feature that analyzed power efficiency earlier in the day...Don't know if that had any influence on the issue...Anyone else had something like this happen??
EMCC = Embedded MultiMedia Card. There was a recall on these Warranty Adjustment Program | Tesla Support

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200