Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car was 94 degrees inside and it is still only spring!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NOT overkill -- smart!

If you found a vendor that has side shades that do not fall off the window please let me know.
I'll have to look up the vendor, I forget - these have suction cups, not terribly convenient to deal with, but they do stay put once in place. I skip the little triangular back ones, more trouble than they're worth, but the rest do make a huge difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I use AC Cabin protection all the time as it costs almost no range from the vehicle. I think the avg cost is 5 miles per charge cycle. For me. (comparing to Sentry mode that sucks a 12 mile per night!)

At work I park under a roof (by coming early for the spot)

Parking while shopping (< 1 hour parking) I prefer trees and shade but sun is fine.

Cracking windows down is a great advice! Be generous and crack up to 1 inch (3cm) this reduces heat by a HUGE margin

If you happen to live in a house or have private parking spare no expense into investing in a cheap setup tent. :) They're about 199 and will get the job done. (Alternative to building a garage for around 3k)

I hope this information helps someone =)

Last edited:
Reactions: one true morty
Here is my experience with M3 AWD. Living in Maui since 2 years and CA before that I learned that a lighter color inside and outside have the biggest impact on the interior temperature. The worst being a black car with black leather seats.
So I ordered a white M3 outside with the White premium inside, waiting for the car to be delivered I also ordered both “Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade” for the front and rear.
I thought I will have also to tint the windows but it was not necessary and I also even never have to use a windshield cover as I did in CA all summer. I bought one but still new in the box...
I even do not have to program the over heat option, as the AC is blowing as soon as the car unlock with the iPhone.
My wife also noticed it is the perfect combination white/white with both factory front and rear glass roof sunshade and we are living in the most sunny part of the island in South Kihei.

Hey 8114s- interesting input.
My model 3 https://photos.app.goo.gl/BpTL87XVtxrjqS5M7 is also white color and white interior, as had been suggested by my smart wife before we purchased it. We got the car in December 2018 and it is parking in indoor garage in Southern California, so we haven't experienced a prolonged summer sun day yet. However, the real life test is waiting for us- driving to Arizona for a week in the end of May.
I'll pack up a sensitive thermometer to take some measurements.
P.S.
I wish I knew you are in Kihei! We've have just come back from there last week after a great week in Kamaole, Kihei. I've noticed every Tesla that drove by, but didn't see white/white (yours) during that week in Maui- if I would, I would have stopped you and chat, for sure!

Hey 8114s- interesting input.
My model 3 https://photos.app.goo.gl/BpTL87XVtxrjqS5M7 is also white color and white interior, as had been suggested by my smart wife before we purchased it. We got the car in December 2018 and it is parking in indoor garage in Southern California, so we haven't experienced a prolonged summer sun day yet. However, the real life test is waiting for us- driving to Arizona for a week in the end of May.
I'll pack up a sensitive thermometer to take some measurements.
P.S.
I wish I knew you are in Kihei! We've have just come back from there last week after a great week in Kamaole, Kihei. I've noticed every Tesla that drove by, but didn't see white/white (yours) during that week in Maui- if I would, I would have stopped you and chat, for sure!
If you have a infrared thermometer you can measure temp at different parts of the car.

I felt the ceiling which is made of glass and it was warm.
Normal car with lining and insulation doesn't feel as warm when you touch ceiling
There are early model S's w/ no sunroof or glass on top (paid option - eventually) and it stayed a lot cooler inside on hot days.
Wish it was still available - metal roof.

1416964980_54752b74390a9.jpg

Last edited:
In my ice cars I would come out to the car get in and say, "wow it is hot in here." Now with my Tesla I look at the app, look at the temperature, and turn the HVAC on if the temperature is either too hot or cold. The difference now is awareness of the actual temperature. Keep in mind, I live near Seattle, not exactly a "hot" area. We tend to top out in the 80's in the summer.

If you have a infrared thermometer you can measure temp at different parts of the car.
I went to TARGET today at 11:30AM and stayed full sun for 1:30 hours. I checked the Apps on my iphone and saw 118 already (was 90 outside according to the car when we parked). Going outside I pushed the climate On on the iphone, it took us less than 2 minutes to arrive to the car, open the trunk and get in. AC was blowing but the car was very fresh compared to outside and even the black wheel drive on direct sun was not hot.
I never experienced a better car that this M3 white/white on sunny areas. I suggest that you try both factory front and rear glass roof sunshade ( it makes a big difference) and never worry about it and no need for cumbersome windshield cover or expensive window tinting, etc....
My car sleep inside a garage during night time and preferred beaches are from Kewakapu to Big beach. May be next time you visit.
Aloha.

This is what I was thinking too but you are the first one to say it. I didn't go to the car for a little while as I was getting ready to take my bird on a play date and had to get ready but I did turn the temp to 68 which it was when I got in the car like 10 min later so I can't say. I really wasn't in the sun for very long, the side of my house is in shade for most of the day. I will keep an eye on it to see though.

This was what my app said tonight at 1:14 am, a few seconds apart:
013A80FC-1074-44CE-B473-5EB51A4CB5AE.jpeg E560467F-9A82-44C2-8CE1-F7BF5ADFDD39.jpeg

The other issue with bug reporting in the car is that those logs are only transferred when you bring the car to a SC which I rarely do. It is not uploaded to Tesla directly by the car.

I've not heard this before, what is the source of this info?

My issue with the bug report feature is that I often have no cell service and without decent cell service the bug report feature doesn't work.

I've not heard this before, what is the source of this info?

My issue with the bug report feature is that I often have no cell service and without decent cell service the bug report feature doesn't work.

I've not heard that before either. My issue is twofold on using the car's bug report a) it cuts off way too quickly so you have to sum up the issue in 20 words or less and b) it started translating voice to text incorrectly every time I did a report at least 3 of the words were misheard. Navigation was fine, just with bug reports. Previous patches it worked fine, so no clue what's up with that.

But I end up doing like 3 or 4 bug reports to correct it and get enough information in there, by then I'm not sure it's worth it.

Reactions: one true morty
I've not heard that before either. My issue is twofold on using the car's bug report a) it cuts off way too quickly so you have to sum up the issue in 20 words or less and b) it started translating voice to text incorrectly every time I did a report at least 3 of the words were misheard. Navigation was fine, just with bug reports. Previous patches it worked fine, so no clue what's up with that.

But I end up doing like 3 or 4 bug reports to correct it and get enough information in there, by then I'm not sure it's worth it.
I haven't had to do any since the support person told me about the option so that is good but I also was interested in learning how it works...not that I am hoping for an issue of course.