Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My evolving thoughts on autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice post. Over the last month or so I’ve had to take a number of ~260-~280 mile road trips. The Supercharger network and EAP are game changers. I still only use EAP at most 50% of the time but it is great.

As mentioned above, the sudden braking is an issue for me. It happens 1x on at least 50% if the trips when I am going 70-80 mph. It has to be fixed. I am always praying that there is no one behind. I note it happens when approaching bridges in CT at various times of day. Each time I log a bug report.

Everyone...if you experience sudden braking...PLEASE log a bug report. Hold the right button on the steering wheel and say “bug report” and tell Tesla what happened.

Nice post. Over the last month or so I’ve had to take a number of ~260-~280 mile road trips. The Supercharger network and EAP are game changers. I still only use EAP at most 50% of the time but it is great.

As mentioned above, the sudden braking is an issue for me. It happens 1x on at least 50% if the trips when I am going 70-80 mph. It has to be fixed. I am always praying that there is no one behind. I note it happens when approaching bridges in CT at various times of day. Each time I log a bug report.

Everyone...if you experience sudden braking...PLEASE log a bug report. Hold the right button on the steering wheel and say “bug report” and tell Tesla what happened.

I'll need to remember this. I had the car brake check once pretty badly going under a bridge and was too rattled to remember how to report a bug. I really like autopilot and was considering paying for it after the trial, but until this issue is solved I'm probably done with it. People around my way drive too close behind to have a car brake so heavily for no reason.

Reactions: halfricanguy
When I first got my Model 3, I was scared to use autopilot for about the first week. When I did try it I went onto the freeway (ideal case use) and engaged it briefly. I actually did not like it at all at first, but over time I got more confident, and of course it helped my confidence a lot as its ability to remain centered in the lane improved with updates. I began to use it more on the freeway.

I was still scared to use it in town, but eventually I tried it, and it worked very well although braking at stop lights where there was a car stopped was quite abrupt, and it took longer than I liked to resume moving. I pretty much quit using it on city streets.

As I got more comfortable with it, and discovered that a light touch on the go pedal would nudge it to resume moving after a stop, I began to use it more.

Then an odd thing happened in my attitude: I became so confident with it that although I would never allow myself to become distracted, and I monitored it carefully and continuously, I found that I didn't want to disengage it. I wanted the car to drive. I took over when I absolutely had to, but felt disappointed when I had to. During at least the first half of my long road trip to and through British Columbia, Canada, for hiking, it almost became a game: How long can I leave AP engaged?

But the more I drive the car, and the more I get use to it, the newness has worn off. It's no longer a novelty, or a game. It's a tool. As long as I remain alert and ready, a momentary distraction is less hazardous than if I were driving the car, but at the same time, there are situations it can handle and others it cannot. Now I find myself judging well ahead of time, Is this a good time to be using AP or is this a better time for me to be driving? I no longer engage it for very brief stretches just because I can. If I'm going to turn in a block I don't engage it. If there's a car coming from the other direction that seems to be close to the line, I disengage AP and keep to the other side of my lane.

AP is a tool that when used properly makes the car safer. It's not a toy or a game. You learn when to use it and when not to use it, and when conditions are right, it is just amazing. But it's only level 2, and for the time being there are still plenty of times when it cannot handle the conditions, or maybe it could handle them but is not yet really ready or able to do so as well as you can do yourself. Tesla tells us this, of course, and makes it abundantly clear in the manual, but it's taken me some time to really internalize it and to begin to learn to use it to best effect.

And the longer I have the car the more I like AP. Driving any other car after this is going to seem like a real chore.

I rented a Model 3 on Turo a few months back to determine whether I wanted to convert my reservation when it came up (BTW: I did). The owner of the car was going on about how cool EAP was, and went over how to use it when we were doing the handoff of the car. I pretty much ignored him during his instruction on EAP, because I had no intention of using it during my two days with the car. When I returned the car he excitedly asked me about my experience with EAP, and seemed kinda disappointed when I told him that, other than auto park I didn't even use it.

My questions about the car were completely different than EAP. I wanted to know about ride quality and handling, the UI of the control panel, comfort, etc..

I knew that in such a short time I would not be able to fully appreciate EAP, and that it would just be a distraction for me. When I ordered my car I got it with EAP and FSD, so I know I will use it once it arrives. But it just makes sense that trying to learn about EAP in a day or two is just silly.

I rented a Model 3 on Turo a few months back to determine whether I wanted to convert my reservation when it came up (BTW: I did). The owner of the car was going on about how cool EAP was, and went over how to use it when we were doing the handoff of the car. I pretty much ignored him during his instruction on EAP, because I had no intention of using it during my two days with the car. When I returned the car he excitedly asked me about my experience with EAP, and seemed kinda disappointed when I told him that, other than auto park I didn't even use it.

My questions about the car were completely different than EAP. I wanted to know about ride quality and handling, the UI of the control panel, comfort, etc..

I knew that in such a short time I would not be able to fully appreciate EAP, and that it would just be a distraction for me. When I ordered my car I got it with EAP and FSD, so I know I will use it once it arrives. But it just makes sense that trying to learn about EAP in a day or two is just silly.
I can't go a full day without using EAP. Driving on the highway manually is such a pain after you have EAP.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
The EAP is one of the best features on the car for me. I drive 160 mile roundtrip 3-5 times a week. Depending on routing, it can be up to ~95% freeway and occasionaly in bumper to bumper traffic the ENTIRE way... yes it sucks. EAP is a sanity savior for me. After only a week, I know where and when to switch lanes to where autopilot only disengages 1 time other than the disengage on the off ramp near home (exception for people who merge onto the freeway like a #$@#). I used to fly this commute, with the Tesla and the EAP the plane sits in the hangar more often and I just drive it unless I'm in a huge hurry. If I continue drive over fly 1-2 times a week the car pays for itself in saved money and I still have a good attitude.
Sure the car is nice and fun to drive, but the EAP is what makes the car a game changer for me.

Reactions: Gavyne and GSP
I have had my Model three for only a week and now, I am currently in the middle of a 800 mile round-trip. I still find myself disengaging it going around sharp curves, certainly other vehicles are toeing their lane line.

But after reviewing some videos that claim to show her the model 3 Avoided an accident where the driver probably couldn’t, I’m trying to train myself or to have it enabled, just over that possibly occurrence.

This is going to be up to individual preference. What one person finds relaxing and comfortable another person will find to be exhausting and awkward. You'll need to figure out what works best for you. That being said, I can tell you that I've found...

By extending the steering wheel out and down far enough, I can rest my right elbow on the center console and rest two fingers on top of the steering wheel cross bar where it joins with the right side of the wheel. The weight of my relaxed and resting forearm applied like this seems to be exactly the right amount of torque that EAP needs to know that I'm there. As such, I've found that in that position, I can relax and not be nagged for over 60 miles (more than an hour of driving) on the expressway. No nudges, no wiggles, no nags to even respond to.

My technique is to rest my left hand at the bottom of the steering wheel next to the spoke and keep a slight sideways pressure against the spoke. I find this comfortable and eliminates all nags. It does also allow me to feel the car steering so I'm alerted if it's doing something unexpected.

Reactions: brkaus and Hans L
... just wish the nags were less frequent, my hands being on the wheel doesn't prevent them and it's a bit distracting having to make sure I give the wheel an extra nudge every 20 seconds or so.

I find that holding the wheel with one hand does the trick. Or one hand's weight on the wheel and the other hand holding but not applying weight.

... What vexes me is the number of people who are complaining about sudden stops when approaching underpasses with certain kinds of shadows. I've never had this happen to me - is this just a standard FUD type of complaint, or is this a legit problem?

As others have noted, phantom braking is a real thing. It doesn't stop, but it brakes hard and suddenly for no reason. If you're paying attention, as you always should be, just a slight tap on the go-pedal over-rides the braking. The same when a car ahead of you moves out of your lane, or a stopped car starts going, the Tesla waits too long before reacting, but a slight tap on the go pedal wakes it up.

... To me Long range and Auto Pilot is what defines Tesla.

Don't forget electric. I got my first Tesla long before AP, because it's electric. I'd already been driving electric for 4 years, but that car (a Zap Xebra) had no power and only 40 miles of range to dead empty. Electric with range and power is what defines Tesla for me. EAP is just a cherry on top.

Reactions: jdcollins5
Took me a while (more than 2 weeks) to get fully comfortable using EAP (stalk operation in a bind). It took me much longer to develop a good intuition about the car's abilities and limitations, maybe a month or two.

Love EAP so much now. There have definitely been unannounced improvements to the AI in the firmware. I've noticed at least 2 firmware updates since late March where EAP got improved and nothing was announced in the release notes.

I still pay close attention to my environment. I suspect it will take me a long while before I'll trust the car even at level 4 autonomy. Better to be cautious. Human + machine is so much better, as a previous poster mentioned.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
A friend of mine tried the EAP trial while he was driving from Seattle to San Francisco. He had 5 issues, at least two of them being sudden braking. And he said the car got into a very weird state and the only way out of it was to cancel the EAP trial. So he did that. I don't recall the exact details. But the main thing about it was he was on version 28.something, even though 32.2 has been out for a while. He had heard about people losing the trial when they updated - so apparently the trial was only for a specific version. And that's kind of lame - they apparently made lots of improvements to auto pilot in 32.x, but the demo was for a buggy version. Should have been more thought through. As it is, my friend basically says he's happy he got to try it and he's happy he didn't spend the money.

(I just got my car on Sunday and it's sitting in the garage until I can get it wrapped, which will be this weekend. So I haven't had a chance to try it yet.)

AP is a tool that when used properly makes the car safer.

I would add "in most circumstances" it makes the car safer. Not all.

I can't go a full day without using EAP. Driving on the highway manually is such a pain after you have EAP.

Driving a Tesla manually on a highway is pain? Now I've heard it all. And I couldn't disagree more. Driving my Tesla is a great stress reliever for me, especially on the highway.

Not everywhere are the highways crowded with vehicles like in California, where I can easily see that AP is a must. But I can drive to my cabin without seeing anyone for long stretches. I find driving such a pleasure and stress reliever and wonder why I paid $6.5kCan for AP on our 3 when I rarely use it, and my wife has absolutely no interest in it.

But having driven the highways in California, I can see why AP is a must. I only use it in bumper to bumper traffic and that's rare for me, especially since I get only me in HOV on the rare time I'm in that kind of traffic.

This seems to be common with autopilot users. I absolutely love it. Yet we still get stupid polls on here that suggest EAP isn’t worth the money or should be free. Boggles my mind.

Not stupid to some of us. I paid $6.5kCan for it just to show family and friends mostly, like a ton of other people, I bet. Still, I would pay again, but it's not the bee's knees for a lot us and just because you can't see that doesn't make it any less of a fact. We look at you as living in a bubble since you can't even see that some of us have no real use for it, and for good reason too.

Man + Machine greater than man or machine by itself.

Yes, true, for now at least. For the future, however, I think man will be a burden, unfortunately (when the machines figure that out).

feel kinda bad for the folks who are going to try out the 2 week (or whatever) free trial and leave with, “I mean, yeah, I sorta get it, but it’s not that great...” Yes it absolutely is, but it takes time to get used to it. 2 weeks, IMO is not enough time.

I was really impressed the first two weeks. After that, the novelty wore off. So it's probably best, if you're not impressed in the first two weeks, that you don't buy it. If it doesn't knock your socks off when you first try it (like it did for me and I'm sure most of us here), I don't know how it can impress you more later.

To me Long range and Auto Pilot is what defines Tesla.

Long range and the Supercharger Network is what defines Tesla for me. AP is really nothing unique to Tesla, but the same can't be said for its SC network.

Last edited:
I would add "in most circumstances" it makes the car safer. Not all.

That's why I qualified it with "When used properly..." Proper use of AP means using it when appropriate, rather than just trying to use it whenever the car says it's available. This is a beta implementation of a level 2 system. This means that driver discretion is required. It needs the driver to judge when it's appropriate to use it, as well as constant driver attention to take over at a moment's notice or when an uncertain situation appears ahead.

Used this way, it's a safer car overall.

Reactions: OPRCE