Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience taking Tesla to court about FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just emailed them today to request a refund for the EAP to FSD upgrade I bought in 2022. Looks like it will be a bit of a slog via small claims but this thread is a great resource.
Question, does anyone know if "auto steer on city street" always said "upcoming", I swear when I bought it it said "coming soon". Seems like the language as evolved. Bought April 2022 if anyone is smart enough to see cached versions of sites.
In September 2020 it was “coming soon”. The price went up around August 2020 from £5800 to £6800. From memory, EAP was introduced soon after I bought FSD in September 2020.
At my test drive in February 2020, the sales guy was of the opinion that “city streets’ would arrive by the end of 2020!

In September 2020 it was “coming soon”. The price went up around August 2020 from £5800 to £6800. From memory, EAP was introduced soon after I bought FSD in September 2020.
At my test drive in February 2020, the sales guy was of the opinion that “city streets’ would arrive by the end of 2020!
EAP came out at the same time as FSD in late 2016. EAP was in effect the enhanced version of the Mobileye AP1 offering, hence the name, with FSD the promise of even more. It’s a little sobering that it’s nearly 8 years since it was first promised. Anyway, I only mention it for accuracy and when it comes to legal matters that could be important

EAP came out at the same time as FSD in late 2016. EAP was in effect the enhanced version of the Mobileye AP1 offering, hence the name, with FSD the promise of even more. It’s a little sobering that it’s nearly 8 years since it was first promised. Anyway, I only mention it for accuracy and when it comes to legal matters that could be important

And for a bit more accuracy, EAP was removed from UK spec Model 3 just ahead of Model 3 UK launch (and I believe at the same point at Autopilot became a standard fit and not a paid option - that was partly added to cost of basic car) so initial UK Model 3 owners only got the option of basic model with standard Autopilot (TACC and autosteer) or FSD. It wasn’t until a bit later in the UK history of Model 3 that EAP became an option on Model 3. Not sure what happened to EAP for Model S and X or other regions, but this was certainly the case with UK Model 3.

Also worth pointing out that this also coincided with HW3 launch, which UK Model 3’s all received. So some early non UK model 3’s running <HW3 and non autopilot, ie basic cruise control that I know some may prefer.

Reactions: KennethS
EAP may have existed earlier than 2020 but it wasn’t available to buy until about 2 or 3 weeks after I bought FSD in September 2020. I know because I was thoroughly irate about it.

Reactions: KennethS
Just received this email. Maybe the letter it's on the way.
Screenshot_20240223_084222_Email.jpg

Reactions: init6 and ACarneiro
The post above prompted a search. Just to keep spirits up, it is possible to take on Tesla and win. CCJs for Tesla Motors Limited below. Alright, not necessarily related to FSD and its all small beer to Tesla.

Date of JudgementDate SatisfiedDays to SatisfyCase RefStatusAmount
14/12/2018​
14/02/2019​
62E4QZ3R6HSatisfied£ 2,101
14/12/2018​
14/02/2019​
62E2QZ0P0ESatisfied£ 267
17/10/2019​
F3QZ5W8HUnsatisfied£ 272
20/12/2019​
04/02/2020​
46F5QZ73MCSatisfied£ 1,091
16/01/2020​
113MC906Unsatisfied£ 1,460
23/06/2020​
135MC432Unsatisfied£ 980
06/07/2020​
15/08/2020​
40138MC870Satisfied£ 2,656
07/10/2020​
09/11/2020​
33G4QZ70Y6Satisfied£ 34
24/01/2022​
H7QZ7Z9DUnsatisfied£ 170
27/06/2022​
12/10/2022​
107009DC689Satisfied£ 522
Total£ 9,553
No warranty over the accuracy of this data - illustrative only. Use solely for moral and educational purposes. Not to be re-published elsewhere.

No doubt Tesla and the courts are keeping on top of satisfying the records. Looks like TW can issue a proposal to Tesla for a housekeeping commission on the side. The person with £34 in their pocket must be a person of principles (I'm not sure I would have bothered).

I’m reading too much into the silence (settlement negotiations?)

High Court Enforcement Officers (Bailiffs) seem like they know their stuff. In a business context I have found a simple Statutory Demand letter highly effective. More work for TW.

Prob leave it a few weeks and setup a proxy poll. Have you ever complained to Tesla in the UK about the cost of FSD and are you now content/satisfied? I’m assuming the deal is that people agree not to post in this thread. I don’t blame them.

Last edited:
The silence speaks volumes. I would keep quiet too. Goes to show that UK consumer laws do the job. Well done Ed for making it slightly more accessible for people to seek redress from Goliath (one of the most valuable companies in the world).

I’ll play my hand and say I’m not in this club. When I first order many years ago I excitedly included FSD. Once I did my homework I realised it didn’t do much more than AP and I was somewhat sceptical of robotaxi (too good to be true). I couldn’t justify the money and had it removed before order completion. If I had I paid, I too would have been asking for a refund.

Reactions: jaykaye
For my part - I haven't put my online claim in yet. Have been busy with work, although truth be told I could've probably carved out some time to sort the online claim and expanded one to send to TW/Tesla.

Good to hear people are getting settlements though.

Had a reply from Taylor W attached. I sent back on 21 feb 2024 a Letter Request for further information called RFI this I notice was sent to tesla not Taylor W, so I have forwarded today to Taylor W.
also attached the RFI to tesla.
comments would be appreciated

Attachments

• march 6 reply from tesla.pdf
    167.9 KB · Views: 59
  • RFI to tesla hs.pdf
    118.3 KB · Views: 40
Looking for some advice please.
I have a Model Y on 4 year business lease, which i got in Dec 2022, just before the dropped the price, so paying a LOT each month.
I also paid (am paying) extra for EAP & maintenance.

There is a high chance that i will hand back the car in the next 6 months and i want close my ltd. Will maybe get Telsa on a personal lease.
I want to look to get my money back that i have paid for the EAP
Or even better if, the fact that EAP is not working as promised, can i terminate contract on those grounds?

Any advise would be appreciated please!

Thank you Edward for your post. You've inspired me to try a similar thing here in Australia.
You can follow along here at this thread.
Thanks, I'm watching the thread now and best of luck to you!

I hope you don't mind me reproducing the paragraph below from your lawyers' letter, I think it's relevant to the UK litigation:

"It is plainly unreasonable that a customer should have to wait more than four years for a product it has already paid for to be supplied, even if that product was “upcoming”. According to the English dictionary, the word “upcoming” means “about to happen”, “happening soon” or “forthcoming”. It cannot be reasonably argued that FSD was “about to happen”, “happening
soon” or has been “forthcoming” in the context of a customer purchasing a product and
expecting to receive that product soon when that customer does not receive the product after four years."