Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience With EAP Suggests Not Only Won't FSD Go Up In Price, It's Going To Go Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I've seen, and I've observed is very mixed behavior from AP/FSD.

I'm not going to cover EAP as it's only a temporary thing that's not worth covering as FSD covers it.

FSD simply can't be judged from how it performs now. We simply won't know until the rewrite is released in the next 3 months or so. In fact I would advise people AGAINST trying it. Just wait until the rewrite release, and then try it a couple months later.

Now I doubt the rewrite is going to suddenly fix everything, but it should fix a lot of the issues that are caused by the car not being aware of the concept of time. This lack of knowledge of what was before or a prediction of what's after is really messing up the behavior of FSD features like the auto-lane change.

For example if you're in the left lane of a 3 lane highway, and a semi is in the right lane what are the odds of a successful driver initiated auto-lane change into the middle lane with the current version? In my testing it was like 30-50% which is pretty terrible. Lots of times it would cancel the lane change or delay it where it got confused where the semi was. In testing with only 2 lanes it was fine.

The steady progress of updates/fixes/etc will keep enough new demand that the price won't come down. Instead what's going to happen is the continuation of what's been happening. Where a SW release will be followed by a slight increase in the FSD price.

The car doesn't have to achieve actual L4 driving for it to be worth <$10K to a lot of people. It simply needs to significantly improve some experience to justify it for people that don't like those situations. For example I don't like 4 way stops with lots of cars going different directions. I would mind them less if I had even a simple bing when it was my turn to verify my own decision.

There are other things like reverse summons. I admit that I don't like parking lots. I just don't because there are so many things going on.

The other thing Tesla will do is they'll keep reintroducing a middle step (aka EPA) to get people to step up to something that isn't FSD, but gets them closer to FSD.

Basically Tesla is going to milk FSD for all its worth as they get closer.

Will L4 actually be achieved with the current Sensor suite? I doubt it. I agree with the OP that it will require much more work especially on the infrastructure/regulation side of things that Tesla doesn't have much control over.

It very well could peak at $10K, and then start falling once competitors release L3 EV's. Or even hands free L2 EV's.

But, it probably won't drop until Tesla is on a new hardware version and they'll tell people with the older hardware "tough luck, but regulatory made us introduce these other sensors or V2X". The new HW will demand the premium price, and the old FSD will go on sale.

Existing things go down, but new things hardly ever do because there is always a new promise.

Is the new Apple watch any cheaper than the old Apple watch?

Last edited:
But Level 2 autonomous driving for $8000 when Cadillac is selling a product that is, at worst, in the ballpark for $15 a month is not a sustainable position. Even if you really like it.

It's not $15 as you still have to buy Supercruise.

As to the price it depends on the trim level, and which one you're getting.

Supercruise isn't the same thing as FSD either. It's best to compare it against EAP.

It's also not an EV. Tesla locks in a lot of people simply from being the most viable (range, charging, SW updates, etc) EV despite all the shortcomings (initial quality, customer support, beta level software, etc).

There are several videos showing cars saved from side swypes on the road, when Tesla moves quickly left or right to avoid a side collision. Is that available with the "basic" AP or only with EAP/FSD?

It's provided with basic AP that comes with the car.

But, keep in mind that some of those videos are from drivers not keeping good situational awareness. So the car kinda saves them from themselves.

Nope. He said they intend to have a US $25K vehicle in a few years. But he didn't say that price would include FSD, though I'd expect it to be FSD-ready, just like all their current vehicles.
By your date of registration on the forum - perhaps you didn't realize - Tesla began pushing sales of FSD back in 2016. Smelling snake oil - we said no thanks on our MS. It's been four years now of owners getting snookered.
Yes. Since they re-introduced the EAP option, FSD is pretty much a $5K nothing-burger.
better than that . . . . if owner gets frustrated w/ various issues ... sells the car to some dealer ... tesla has been known to zap the feature, so they can sell it to the next owner. I wonder if Tesla has done a CYA in the contract boilerplate ... so no one in the future sues for features that disappear on subsequent owners.
Even if robo taxi becomes an option, your insurance will skyrocket and your car will get beat to crap. How many nice Uber cars do you ride in? Now imagine how they’d be treated with no driver.
Don't forget to use your black light before entering.
;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
And anyone comes in with an Apple comparison, by the time it was clear that Apple's tech was no longer miles ahead of the competition

Apple isn't a good comparison. In fact Apple was never really that far ahead Tech side, but they just did a brilliant job packaging it.

Tesla does an awesome job at packaging it to, but they falter in so many ways they kill a lot of the benefit.

The true advantage Tesla has over the competition is battery cost, and supply. Plus they are vertically integrated so they have control over so much more.

I'm not saying this to defend Tesla, but to say how hard it is to leave Tesla especially for those of us in North America. The Europeans have it a better so alternatives are more attractive.

My argument is also assuming that when a person goes to an EV that they tend to stick with for all the reasons they went to an EV in the first place. For me it was performance, and I'm not going back.

It's not $15 as you still have to buy Supercruise.

As to the price it depends on the trim level, and which one you're getting.

Supercruise isn't the same thing as FSD either. It's best to compare it against EAP.

AFAIK it's more like basic AP, but that only works on a specific set of highways (but works very well within that narrow scope of features and location).

Pretty damn far from EAP, let alone FSD, feature-wise.

better than that . . . . if owner gets frustrated w/ various issues ... sells the car to some dealer ... tesla has been known to zap the feature, so they can sell it to the next owner.

Not really no.

As policy- Tesla does not and can not remove paid features when the car is sold privately (ie where Tesla isn't the one taking ownership of the car).

They even explicitly mention this in the connectivity FAQ where cars grandfathered in to have lifetime connectivity keep it through all private-sales of the car. It only gets removed if the car is sold back to Tesla.

There was a couple of cases where the dealer sold the used car as having features the original owner never paid for though... (either the dealer not knowing the difference- or the car got a free EAP trial that got stuck "on" or something).

There was also one case I'm aware of where tesla became the owner of the car from the original owner (who DID pay for FSD), then marked it in their system to have FSD removed (since obviously they can remove it if THEY own it)

But before the update to remove it got pushed out to the car it was sold at auction to a dealer.

Who then sold it as having FSD.

Teslas update hit the car, and removed FSD though. The dealer even noticed it happened. But he figured it was a glitch so continued the sale and just told the new owner to schedule service to get the glitch fixed.

At which point Tesla said naah that car doesn't have FSD.

After a bunch of bad press they gave it to him anyway, but the issue wasn't Tesla removing it from a privately sold car- the issue was Teslas back-end IT should've pushed the feature removal instantly on adding to the system and didn't.

AFAIK it's more like basic AP, but that only works on a specific set of highways (but works very well within that narrow scope of features and location).

For clarification I'm referring to the new version of Super Cruise that's going to be released this fall. Edit: its actually called Enhanced Super Cruise.

The one that can do driver initiated auto lane-changes, and uses multiple sensors (both radar and visual) to determine the exact location of cars around you. Due to the addition sensors I predict that the lane changes will be consistent, and safe. Something the Tesla auto-lane struggles with.

I think it's a good comparison because EAP in it's existing form is really AP + Auto Lane change. Sure there are other features like Smart Summons, but those perform even worse than auto-lane change. Auto-lane change is usually the driving factor in why someone wants EAP who already has AP.

Supercruise has also been extended to 200,000 miles of roads so it's quite a few roads. Plus the first thing anyone who has an issue with AP is asked is where they're trying to use it, and they get ridiculed if they used it anywhere that wasn't a divided highway. So I don't know what difference it really makes. GM likely has the vast majority of divided freeways of any significant length covered.

Last edited:
Reactions: FredMertz
I use autopilot for 90% of my driving for the last 2 years. It has allowed me to pay more attention to more things making me a safer driver in every way. Yes I am still fully controlling the car at all times right now. As the system improves their is no question some people will find it to be a less stressful drive. And they will pay a lot of money for that.

Reactions: EinSV
When I use them, Autopilot/EAP/FSD require greater awareness than when I’m driving the car without. All have their uses but still seem more like Future Software Development than anything approaching Full Self Driving.

...I bought a Tesla for many reasons & not driving it wasn’t one of them.

I still get more pleasure from actually steering & accelerating. It’s the easiest, most enjoyable & stress reducing vehicle that I’ve ever owned, much more so when I’m actually in control.

...I appreciate that others prefer the car to be (sort of) doing that for them.

For the early buyers that helped Tesla where it reached now, the prices kept going up on and on though. What was a 6k FSD (not just EAP), is now almost 11k. And comparable vehicle price itself has come down too, owing to economies of scale.

Without any sort of EAP/FSD, every new update that i get on my MR3 is just waste of an effort, nothing new at all. Guess my MR3 is just like any ICE car now, no new updates excite me any more.

Not complaining, but just responding in context from/being a 2018 buyer.

Yup that is the whole point of buying into the FSD programme. You get to watch the whole system evolve. And how exciting it is too !

For clarification I'm referring to the new version of Super Cruise that's going to be released this fall. Edit: its actually called Enhanced Super Cruise.

The one that can do driver initiated auto lane-changes, and uses multiple sensors (both radar and visual) to determine the exact location of cars around you. Due to the addition sensors I predict that the lane changes will be consistent, and safe. Something the Tesla auto-lane struggles with.

I think it's a good comparison because EAP in it's existing form is really AP + Auto Lane change. Sure there are other features like Smart Summons, but those perform even worse than auto-lane change. Auto-lane change is usually the driving factor in why someone wants EAP who already has AP.

Supercruise has also been extended to 200,000 miles of roads so it's quite a few roads. Plus the first thing anyone who has an issue with AP is asked is where they're trying to use it, and they get ridiculed if they used it anywhere that wasn't a divided highway. So I don't know what difference it really makes. GM likely has the vast majority of divided freeways of any significant length covered.
Still talking about something that does not exist yet ? So the aspiration of the upcoming enhanced super cruise is close to eap. But really just speculation at this point. If I want to speculate I would rather keep my eye on the FSD prize.

He won't lower it because he wants to, he'll lower it because he has to. He's enjoyed a long run outside the sights of the big guys, but that's about to end.

The trouble is the "when the big guys come along the game is over" argument has been repeated now for several years. And Tesla has continued to dominate the market, both in sales, public awareness (with no advertising!), range, and "this is the one to beat" (with no-one doing it yet, except perhaps Porsche until the Plaid S ships). Tesla now also has a significant IP portfolio, far better vertical integration than any of the "big" guys, and has amassed a significant amount of expertise in manufacturing tech for EVs.

And no, I'm not doing a "fan boy" thing, the fact is, when disruptive tech comes along, it's rarely the establishes players that dominate. Where is Kodak today? Or Xerox? Or IBM for that matter?

I also believe FSD is still a distant dream. Years ago, we had the well known (but wrong) examples of how an AI would chose between killing the passengers or killing an elderly person, or children, crossing the road when there is no alternative. That is not a real issue, and not how AI works.

The real issue for FSD is how to understand people, behavior and the situation. An example I always give is the following. The car arrives at a pedestrian crossing. At the crossing, stands a teenager watching his or her mobile phone. Potentially, the teenager could cross the street but he or she makes a little sign and nods "no, no, go ahead, I don't intend to cross the street". Any driver would then carefully move forward and on. It will require a completely other level of AI to understand the meaning of that little hand sign and nod.

Although tremendous progress is being made, we're just not there yet at all.

I also believe FSD is still a distant dream. Years ago, we had the well known (but wrong) examples of how an AI would chose between killing the passengers or killing an elderly person, or children, crossing the road when there is no alternative. That is not a real issue, and not how AI works.

The real issue for FSD is how to understand people, behavior and the situation. An example I always give is the following. The car arrives at a pedestrian crossing. At the crossing, stands a teenager watching his or her mobile phone. Potentially, the teenager could cross the street but he or she makes a little sign and nods "no, no, go ahead, I don't intend to cross the street". Any driver would then carefully move forward and on. It will require a completely other level of AI to understand the meaning of that little hand sign and nod.

Although tremendous progress is being made, we're just not there yet at all.

I agree. But never mind the complex subtle human interaction stuff. Even simple things like avoiding potholes in the road is a major challenge for future FSD development. Calling the current offering FSD is a joke and I think it's just a matter of time before advertising authorities around the world step in to put a stop to all these wild claims.

Last edited:
The trouble is the "when the big guys come along the game is over" argument has been repeated now for several years. And Tesla has continued to dominate the market, both in sales, public awareness (with no advertising!), range, and "this is the one to beat" (with no-one doing it yet, except perhaps Porsche until the Plaid S ships). Tesla now also has a significant IP portfolio, far better vertical integration than any of the "big" guys, and has amassed a significant amount of expertise in manufacturing tech for EVs.

And no, I'm not doing a "fan boy" thing, the fact is, when disruptive tech comes along, it's rarely the establishes players that dominate. Where is Kodak today? Or Xerox? Or IBM for that matter?

I think you are going way beyond the scope of this thread now. While I would agree Tesla is generally ahead of the game in terms of overall EV development, I don't think it has any real advantage when it comes to FSD. I would go as far as saying FSD has been a massive flop and I'm sure Elon himself is very disappointed with FSD progress given his obvious aspirations.

I purchased EAP when I bought my car 2 years ago. There are neat features but I don't trust them yet. The phantom breaking on the highway is just flat out dangerous and does require you to be fully alert before you drive thru underpasses. I have had the car scrap my wheels trying to parallel park. Summon is still to risky to use in a parking lot. I know these issues are beta and require the driver to remain vigilant but should of improved over the last two years. I love my car and use EAP on the highway but unless you are in a rural area you need to stay on the look out for overpasses.

I think you are going way beyond the scope of this thread now. While I would agree Tesla is generally ahead of the game in terms of overall EV development, I don't think it has any real advantage when it comes to FSD. I would go as far as saying FSD has been a massive flop and I'm sure Elon himself is very disappointed with FSD progress given his obvious aspirations.
Agree completely. I have 2 years with EAP that I have enjoyed and used extensively on long trips. There is no way I would pay 6K much less 8K for FSD today. In fact, I would only order with standard AP at this point. The price point is way too high and I fully expect Tesla to lose lawsuits to FSD buyers from 2016 through 2018.

Wait for the rewrite...lmao. I wrote software for 30 years. Glad to know some things never change in that field.

I purchased EAP when I bought my car 2 years ago. There are neat features but I don't trust them yet. The phantom breaking on the highway is just flat out dangerous and does require you to be fully alert before you drive thru underpasses. I have had the car scrap my wheels trying to parallel park. Summon is still to risky to use in a parking lot. I know these issues are beta and require the driver to remain vigilant but should of improved over the last two years. I love my car and use EAP on the highway but unless you are in a rural area you need to stay on the look out for overpasses.
Yep, mirrors my experience exactly.