Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Experience With EAP Suggests Not Only Won't FSD Go Up In Price, It's Going To Go Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with several posters above. A weekend with EAP is hardly sufficient to render an opinion on the state of EAP or FSD. Once you've established and is fully aware of what it can and can't do, I think most people would easily rate EAP to be life-changing. Perhaps you've encountered situations where EAP didn't quite perform well for you, but in generalization, I would say that more people are happy with it than not.

As for competition is coming? Well, we've all heard of that before. It's just like how Tesla came out with its infotainment center/screen for 8 years now, and still, nearly every other auto maker still has a clunky infotainment touchscreen that can hardly compare to Teslas. So yeah, it's not that Tesla is infallible, it's simply that they are just way way ahead of the curve. It's basically their company motto.

Kind of misleading to say the least. I take this more as a personal opinion then overall . FSD will not go down in price . EAP is not in the realm of FSD but has little functions I wouldn’t use. Stop light control and Autosteer in City streets will be overall functions for FSD to reach Level 4 Autonomy not EAP. So in the end who wins, the consumer or Elon. EAP $4,000 and $5,000 for FSD. Just pay the $8,000 and save yourself some money.

Reactions: Yelobird
isn’t that part of EAP?

Yes. The features of FSD I use the most are in the EAP. FSD was $7k when I bought it, EAP wasn't available. With what I know now, if I was faced with today's $4k EAP vs $8k FSD, I'd most likely get the EAP. The lane change is a game changer. Without it, you have kick AP on and off way too often. The auto exit / merge are nice, but less mature.

I did try the summon again after the last software update, and it worked very well. If my MY often comes to the door to get me when it's raining, maybe the FSD value will become more clear. FSD on city streets, promised this year will be nice if it isn't too buggy - we'll see.

Reactions: rlasry1
I'm sticking with AP. I really wish Tesla would change the name of FSD to Advanced Auto-Pilot. Here's my take on how they should name these driver-assist features:

Basic Auto-Pilot = BAP
Enhanced Auto-Pilot = EAP
Advanced Auto-Pilot = AAP

I doubt we'll ever see "FULL SELF DRIVING" ever implemented as its name suggests, it will always require driver monitoring/assistance.

And yes I agree pricing will come down with competition. I'm in no hurry to buy in just yet.

After 2.5 years of using AP & seeing improvements over time, the value is very clear to me when I drive other vehicles without it. Even when comparing to competitors with lane keep/assist, etc. nothing seems to come close/compare. This is especially true when using on surface streets (not just highway systems i.e. - Supercruise). Nothing else comes close. It took some time to get used to what AP can and can't handle, but it's akin to recognizing a potentially dangerous human driver of another vehicle (you mentally prep for something unexpected, back off a little, etc.). The addition of stoplights/stop signs has meant I no longer have to "depend" on having a car in front of mine or disabling AP when coming to a stop sign.

In the future, if competitors show up in competing vehicles, perhaps the price will come down, but that seems so far in the future. Seeing videos of Wamo, Cruise, Audi, etc. so far just seems like watching Tesla's own autonomous driving (marketing) videos from years ago. Until they're in production, publicly available vehicles, Tesla's AP has no peer to drive down pricing.

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
I've had EAP from the start of ownership some 21 months ago. I have seen the improvements come quickly with NoA and Smart Summon but I can't for the life of me drop another $5k just to have it stop at stop lights and stop signs. However, I was very close to dropping the $2k when they had the firesale last year not so much for the FSD itself but for the new computer and future upgrades/enhancements to the overall autopilot feature set. Which brings up another question, for those with EAP and HW2.5 how will this FSD subscription/trial work without HW3.0? Will they require you to subscribe for a set time in order to cover the cost of a HW3.0 install?

I'm thinking of upgrading to Enhanced Autopilot for motorway driving. Because its a pain to constantly turn autopilot back on after changing lanes.

I can't see FSD working on London streets as simple cruise control constantly beeps and brakes for bollards and parked cars even though there's plenty of road to drive around them.

Also you'll need to get the lawmakers to agree FSD. For instance the EU has nobbled turns so if always comes up with "steering is limited" when using Autopilot. Even on motorways!

And I'd like to try the software before buying.

Reactions: rlasry1
I agree with several posters above. A weekend with EAP is hardly sufficient to render an opinion on the state of EAP or FSD. Once you've established and is fully aware of what it can and can't do, I think most people would easily rate EAP to be life-changing. Perhaps you've encountered situations where EAP didn't quite perform well for you, but in generalization, I would say that more people are happy with it than not.

As for competition is coming? Well, we've all heard of that before. It's just like how Tesla came out with its infotainment center/screen for 8 years now, and still, nearly every other auto maker still has a clunky infotainment touchscreen that can hardly compare to Teslas. So yeah, it's not that Tesla is infallible, it's simply that they are just way way ahead of the curve. It's basically their company motto.

Are you posting from 2015?

“The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect."

We all like to sit on the internet (not just this forum in particular) and present our opinions on things, and I’m sure many people on this forum are used to being right more often than not (I know I am...)

But as mentioned above, we don’t honestly know enough to be making these calls. Generally Tesla keeps this information very closely guarded, although we recently have heard that a “full rewrite” of the AP models will make its way to Early Access within a month. Now I know the classic “3-6 months” promise that still largely hasn’t been fulfilled, but you’ve got to be pretty sure if you’re quoting a date less than a handful of weeks out.

This rewrite could be spectacular, or it could be janky. It could be like AP2 where is started worse off than its previous iteration before getting better.

The only thing we know is that we won’t know until they decide to show us.

One thing I noticed yesterday that I'm not sure I've noticed before is that nearly all of the Used vehicles Tesla is selling show FSD. I'm SURE that all of these didn't have it from the factory and I'm sure Tesla activated the functions to get more money from the sales. But what that tells me is that they don't believe that users buying the car would call and pay the $8k+ for FSD or they'd be foolish for unlocking it from the factory. Take it as is, just my opinion.

Reactions: Uxorious