Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My M3 Roasting in 85 Degree Temps? Pacific NorthWET

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has routinely hit over 100 almost everyday for the past few weeks and that message has never popped up for me. I do not have cabin overheat protection because I think the car should be able to start when I get in, like any other car available on the market.

true. however - cabin overheat protection (fan only) has only very little vampire drain and keeps the car from getting extremely hot. while automotive components are tested well above 140F+ ... they do last longer with a lower failure rate if it's colder.

The fan pumping occasionally outside air in and a sunshield in the front window are two easy things you can do when parking in the summer outside.

It gets pretty hot here in St. Louis in the summer, nothing like the far south, but I have windshield shade I run while at work, and I have a removable roof glass shade I leave up from about June to September, it seems to help. I have decently dark tint, not ceramic, which seems to help too. I have the Cabin Overheat setting set to fan only and have never seen that message. I've seen inside temps hit 130's on the app.

FWIW, here in Ohio my experience has been with setting the overheat protection to the "use the a/c" setting. I leave my car parked all day in the sun, ambient temperature in the low 90s. When I get in the temperature inside is usually about 86-88F, and none of the surfaces are too hot for comfort. This seems to use about 300 watts, about 3KWH/day, although some of this is recovered by not having the a/c run full blast when getting in the car to drive. To me this is very reasonable, not too wasteful or expensive (maybe $0.35/day) and very comfortable.

It gets pretty hot here in St. Louis in the summer, nothing like the far south, but I have windshield shade I run while at work, and I have a removable roof glass shade I leave up from about June to September, it seems to help. I have decently dark tint, not ceramic, which seems to help too. I have the Cabin Overheat setting set to fan only and have never seen that message. I've seen inside temps hit 130's on the app.

I'm seeing the same interior temps with "fan only" bouncing between 110F to 128F in Texas. No tint, no roof glass shade .... but a reflective sunshield in the windshield....

when you are parked for 6hrs in the sun ... the car will heat up regardless if tinted or sunshield in roof or not... only difference might be the temp of your seats

Reactions: TyH2009
FWIW, here in Ohio my experience has been with setting the overheat protection to the "use the a/c" setting. I leave my car parked all day in the sun, ambient temperature in the low 90s. When I get in the temperature inside is usually about 86-88F, and none of the surfaces are too hot for comfort. This seems to use about 300 watts, about 3KWH/day, although some of this is recovered by not having the a/c run full blast when getting in the car to drive. To me this is very reasonable, not too wasteful or expensive (maybe $0.35/day) and very comfortable.

any issues with "moldy smell" from the Ac vents?

having the AC run most of the day when parked will keep the coils moist and never really let them dry off

any issues with "moldy smell" from the Ac vents?

having the AC run most of the day when parked will keep the coils moist and never really let them dry off

None so far, about 3-4 weeks of doing this. I am guessing that the a/c actually only runs maybe half the time, cools the cabin to the low 80s then is off until it hits somewhere in the 90s (just guessing by the range of temperatures when I enter the car)