Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My M3 vs my MS...the revolution is underway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been meaning to “give back” to this forum for all the advice and information I have gotten these past three years, so here goes. I won’t bury the lead—I think the Model 3 is a revolution, a full turn in many ways past the Model S, and it will put other car companies out of business. Even if the cost of the two cars were equal, I believe at this point I would opt for the Model 3.

The quick background: I took possession of my black MS 70D (AP1, PuP) in June of 2015, and received my Model 3 (PuP, “19 in wheels, Midnight Silver, EAP2) on February 28th. I still have my MS since the lease is not finished until June, so I am driving both each day/week.

I have nothing but love for my Model S, and I reserved my M3 on day one in March of 2016 because I figured it might arrive at the time my lease was ending. I wanted the option of going to the 3 from the S for mostly cost considerations. As the car was released and started being delivered, I made the decision to buy it since the replacement for my MS70D, the MS75D, was much more expensive with much less range. Now that I have spent a month with the M3, I can say the differences are much more dramatic, in a good way. I will try to avoid some of the obvious comparisons written on this forum unless I have something new to say about them, but in no particular order, here goes.

The Model 3 is a sports car to me, plain and simple, while the MS is a touring car. It drives harder/firmer than the MS. It’s not as comfortable a ride, but it’s certainly not uncomfortable, and in fact I prefer the ride, which feels more connected to the road. Maybe the BMW M3 vs 7 Series would be a good analogy?

As far as rear wheel drive vs dual, I don’t notice much difference in the driving between the two. Given the bigger battery size and being 1K lbs lighter, the 3 acceleration is much faster than my S anyway, and living in southeastern PA I simply don’t drive the car in snowy weather (stay home for a few hours till the roads are plowed). I can certainly see someone needing a dual motor model in certain circumstances/geographies, but for the vast majority of drivers I don’t know why you would pay extra for the dual motors. This rear wheel drive 3 has plenty of acceleration.

Interior notes:

1. Overall: The interior seems more refined and appointed than my S. The lack of a center cluster and the wood of the dash stand out and take over the aesthetics of the entire interior…and that change seems a big upgrade in the overall presentation of the interior. It’s clean, simple and pure genius.

2. Touch screen: In addition to being sharper and more responsive, the location makes it so easy to operate. In my S, I need to lean forward from my seat a couple of inches to even touch the screen. In my 3 I can do it without even completely extending my arm. Given that everything is done from this screen makes this a necessity, but now when I am in my S I am annoyed whenever I need to operate the screen.

3. Push button door: it is very convenient to simply push that button with your finger and then elbow your way out of the car, especially if you have one or two things in your hands when doing it. I also prefer the 3 outside handles to the presentation style of the S, after taking a week or so to get used to it. The overall feel of the doors is more solid and requiresa hard push to close tightly, including the trunk.

4. AP lack of stalk: I read much about this and dreaded it since I use AP1 all the time in my S driving from PHL to NYC and DC. While I still prefer the stalk, the lack of it has not proven to be a major inconvenience, and if Tesla turns the scroll wheel on the right side of the steering wheel into a speed controller, then it will be even less inconvenient. I rarely change the follow distance so having to do that via a menu is not a big deal to me, especially since you are using AP when you need to do this and it’s not a problem to take your eyes off the road for a few seconds.

5. Sound system: the 3 is far superior to my S…not even a close comparison on bass, midrange, and overall clarity. This goes for phone calls over the Bluetooth speaker. I don’t feel like I need to shout in the 3, which I often feel the need to do in the S.

6. Storage: I am very happy with the upfront storage of the center console (NA in the S). The overall cargo storage with the deep bay below the floor of the trunk, and the easy, one-finger flip down of both seats provides plenty of room. I never use the frunk in either car (it amazes me how people complain about having to use the app to open it…who is regularly using the frunk and for what??). I could see missing the hatch and extra room of the S if you are used to that, but I have a hard time thinking most people need this additional storage/cargo space. If you do, you would probably get an X or something completely different in the SUV world. It does not seem to be a material difference to me between 3 and S.

7. Roof: The 3 roof is fantastic, and I much prefer it to paying for a sunroof, which I personally never open in the S except to vent the car in the summer. For this I would like to see Tesla allow the app to crack the windows in the car.

I am assuming that software updates will take care of some omissions on the 3 like wifi, auto dimming high beams, support for Sirius radio, etc, but even if some things such as a heating steering wheel (I use all the time in the S) and rear heated seats never arrive, I don’t see enough things lacking that I would miss too much on a daily basis, particularly given the price difference in the two cars.

In summary, I think two things will happen as this car rolls out. First, the MS75D will be completely cannibalized and eventually even go away. I understand why some people would buy the 100D and want ludicrous mode, etc. Those people have money to burn and/or love speed. But why would anyone buy a 75D for what amounts to $30K+ more, and only get in addition the dual motor (see above) and marginally more cargo/passenger space, while getting 75 miles LESS range than the enhanced battery version of the M3? It makes no sense.

Second, once the full range of M3s come out, and the word gets out about this beyond the fanboys like me and 500K people who have ordered the early version of this car, the onslaught will be on. Once people can test drive this car next to other options, EV and ICE, it will be all over. If Tesla can ramp production to meet demand they will dominate the global car market. Their own production challenges are the only things that can stop this company—this car is that good.

One more comment: I used to think that the cars themselves and the supercharger network were the two biggest reasons that Tesla would eventually dominate the car world. Then a few weeks ago I was at Tesla HQ on a business trip and in speaking with someone there was told that they feel their real advantage is in the service/delivery center network. Those of us who own a Tesla know that there is practically no maintenance, and many less moving parts than in an ICE car. All the traditional car makers have a network of franchises who make all their margin on service. It they end up going EV, which the world is formally now moving toward, how will they provide enough revenue/incentive to keep those franchises profitable? This is a problem Tesla does not have as their service centers are all company owned and sized to be profitable given the lower volume of service needs. This has to have all of Detroit and the major players in Germany and Japan worried.

Thanks for reading. I’d welcome comments/complaints!
Took delivery of mine yesterday, and while I can't compare it (like you can) to a Model S since I've never driven nor owned a MS, I agree with your comments wholly re Model 3. I'm absolutely staggered by how excellent the product is, and frankly think that early all of the Wow Factor is preserved in the $35k version as well. Dominance is near.

I could not agree more. But for almost double the price it needs to really separate itself from the 3 in the next refresh or the lower end S will be far over shadowed by the 3.

Are you sure storage is double? I know Tesla advertises it so but according to some videos I believe it to be around 20 max 30% bigger.

I bought a used S due to the Tesla numbers (14 cubic feet vs 30) then whatched some early videos showing the internal size and I felt somehow betrayed. Due to that (together with other reasons) I’ve sold my 90D AP2 yesterday and I will be waiting for my M3 in early 2019 (Europe, first in store reservation 31.03)

If by the time I can not get a P3D for under 70k€ with tow hitch and roof rack option, I will hope to get a used X. This has definitely way more room and versatility.

These last few comments are confusing. Other than wanting to pop the frunk that is. Why would you need to talk to Siri to unlock your door if it unlocks when you touch the handle?

Oh, I agree. I was responding to the comment about not being able to open the trunk without a keyfob. It's not a big deal to me.

I do find using the Watch with Siri to be nice for quick unlocking of the door when I'm not there. For example, if one of my kids wants to run to get something from the car. I just can say "Hey Siri, unlock the car doors" without touching my phone.

There are always people willing to make compromises to spend less. Tesla cars are clearly not all in the same league but the 3 is certainly a much cheaper car than the S and X in most ways but still a Tesla. Mercedes also sells $40k cars and $200k cars, are the differences worth the extra money? It boils down to how much money you have in your pocket or how much you are willing to compromise. ;)

What compromises are you seeing between the Model 3 and Model S? No fuses, better headlights, better sound system, more headroom? You can't really compare performance on a single motor Model 3 to a dual Model S. I'd expect limited compromises there, but we'll see. Range is comparable. Again, even with just a single motor. Autopilot hardware is the same or better (extra interior camera) on a Model 3 as well.

The Model S has slightly wider rear seats (~1"), more storage space, heated steering wheel, and a hatchback (which I miss the most on a Model 3).

What exactly are you losing on the Model 3? I'm not seeing material quality differences that you'd see when comparing a $40k to $200k Mercedes.

Aren't any of those selling their Ss for 3s worried about losing free supercharging? That worries me.

After 3 years, I've used Superchargers maybe 10 times. And half of them weren't 100% necessary, but for a little piece of mind. But you're talking about $55,000 vs ~$90,000 for a comparable 75D. That'll pay for a LOT of Supercharging. The Model 3 LR has a good 50 miles additional range over the 75D, too.

Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Futuresystem
Free Supercharging is overrated. It is a small insignificant perk for 90% of the owners who use SC two or three times a year. If you are cabbie or one of those that travel every week, ya then free SC is worth something.

Although i fully agree with this statement:
When I sit in the 3 I think, this is nice. When I sit in the S, I just sink into the seat and sigh a gratifying "ahhhh yes".
At the end of the day $50k trumps $100k in price.

Last edited:
Aren't any of those selling their Ss for 3s worried about losing free supercharging? That worries me.
This free supercharging is psychological confusion for many people. If you do the math you find out that you will pay probably something like 2k$ for the lifetime of the TM3 ownereship( we are tlaking about 2k$ dispersed over 5 years which is nothing). Then you can ask yourself if it is even worth considering when comparing TMS to TM3 in this regards. The answer is no. If you are a standart user it is the least important difference between these 2 cars. However many people fall into the trap of “FREE” something and gives it an absurd value eventhough they cannot take advantage of it at all. Thing of it the same as “bottomless” drinks at Burger king. You are free to drink as much as you can but in the end you just drink your one drink and you go home. No advantage in real life but sounds extremely cool on advertisements.

I have been meaning to “give back” to this forum for all the advice and information I have gotten these past three years, so here goes. I won’t bury the lead—I think the Model 3 is a revolution, a full turn in many ways past the Model S, and it will put other car companies out of business. Even if the cost of the two cars were equal, I believe at this point I would opt for the Model 3.

The quick background: I took possession of my black MS 70D (AP1, PuP) in June of 2015, and received my Model 3 (PuP, “19 in wheels, Midnight Silver, EAP2) on February 28th. I still have my MS since the lease is not finished until June, so I am driving both each day/week.

I have nothing but love for my Model S, and I reserved my M3 on day one in March of 2016 because I figured it might arrive at the time my lease was ending. I wanted the option of going to the 3 from the S for mostly cost considerations. As the car was released and started being delivered, I made the decision to buy it since the replacement for my MS70D, the MS75D, was much more expensive with much less range. Now that I have spent a month with the M3, I can say the differences are much more dramatic, in a good way. I will try to avoid some of the obvious comparisons written on this forum unless I have something new to say about them, but in no particular order, here goes.

The Model 3 is a sports car to me, plain and simple, while the MS is a touring car. It drives harder/firmer than the MS. It’s not as comfortable a ride, but it’s certainly not uncomfortable, and in fact I prefer the ride, which feels more connected to the road. Maybe the BMW M3 vs 7 Series would be a good analogy?

As far as rear wheel drive vs dual, I don’t notice much difference in the driving between the two. Given the bigger battery size and being 1K lbs lighter, the 3 acceleration is much faster than my S anyway, and living in southeastern PA I simply don’t drive the car in snowy weather (stay home for a few hours till the roads are plowed). I can certainly see someone needing a dual motor model in certain circumstances/geographies, but for the vast majority of drivers I don’t know why you would pay extra for the dual motors. This rear wheel drive 3 has plenty of acceleration.

Interior notes:

1. Overall: The interior seems more refined and appointed than my S. The lack of a center cluster and the wood of the dash stand out and take over the aesthetics of the entire interior…and that change seems a big upgrade in the overall presentation of the interior. It’s clean, simple and pure genius.

2. Touch screen: In addition to being sharper and more responsive, the location makes it so easy to operate. In my S, I need to lean forward from my seat a couple of inches to even touch the screen. In my 3 I can do it without even completely extending my arm. Given that everything is done from this screen makes this a necessity, but now when I am in my S I am annoyed whenever I need to operate the screen.

3. Push button door: it is very convenient to simply push that button with your finger and then elbow your way out of the car, especially if you have one or two things in your hands when doing it. I also prefer the 3 outside handles to the presentation style of the S, after taking a week or so to get used to it. The overall feel of the doors is more solid and requiresa hard push to close tightly, including the trunk.

4. AP lack of stalk: I read much about this and dreaded it since I use AP1 all the time in my S driving from PHL to NYC and DC. While I still prefer the stalk, the lack of it has not proven to be a major inconvenience, and if Tesla turns the scroll wheel on the right side of the steering wheel into a speed controller, then it will be even less inconvenient. I rarely change the follow distance so having to do that via a menu is not a big deal to me, especially since you are using AP when you need to do this and it’s not a problem to take your eyes off the road for a few seconds.

5. Sound system: the 3 is far superior to my S…not even a close comparison on bass, midrange, and overall clarity. This goes for phone calls over the Bluetooth speaker. I don’t feel like I need to shout in the 3, which I often feel the need to do in the S.

6. Storage: I am very happy with the upfront storage of the center console (NA in the S). The overall cargo storage with the deep bay below the floor of the trunk, and the easy, one-finger flip down of both seats provides plenty of room. I never use the frunk in either car (it amazes me how people complain about having to use the app to open it…who is regularly using the frunk and for what??). I could see missing the hatch and extra room of the S if you are used to that, but I have a hard time thinking most people need this additional storage/cargo space. If you do, you would probably get an X or something completely different in the SUV world. It does not seem to be a material difference to me between 3 and S.

7. Roof: The 3 roof is fantastic, and I much prefer it to paying for a sunroof, which I personally never open in the S except to vent the car in the summer. For this I would like to see Tesla allow the app to crack the windows in the car.

I am assuming that software updates will take care of some omissions on the 3 like wifi, auto dimming high beams, support for Sirius radio, etc, but even if some things such as a heating steering wheel (I use all the time in the S) and rear heated seats never arrive, I don’t see enough things lacking that I would miss too much on a daily basis, particularly given the price difference in the two cars.

In summary, I think two things will happen as this car rolls out. First, the MS75D will be completely cannibalized and eventually even go away. I understand why some people would buy the 100D and want ludicrous mode, etc. Those people have money to burn and/or love speed. But why would anyone buy a 75D for what amounts to $30K+ more, and only get in addition the dual motor (see above) and marginally more cargo/passenger space, while getting 75 miles LESS range than the enhanced battery version of the M3? It makes no sense.

Second, once the full range of M3s come out, and the word gets out about this beyond the fanboys like me and 500K people who have ordered the early version of this car, the onslaught will be on. Once people can test drive this car next to other options, EV and ICE, it will be all over. If Tesla can ramp production to meet demand they will dominate the global car market. Their own production challenges are the only things that can stop this company—this car is that good.

One more comment: I used to think that the cars themselves and the supercharger network were the two biggest reasons that Tesla would eventually dominate the car world. Then a few weeks ago I was at Tesla HQ on a business trip and in speaking with someone there was told that they feel their real advantage is in the service/delivery center network. Those of us who own a Tesla know that there is practically no maintenance, and many less moving parts than in an ICE car. All the traditional car makers have a network of franchises who make all their margin on service. It they end up going EV, which the world is formally now moving toward, how will they provide enough revenue/incentive to keep those franchises profitable? This is a problem Tesla does not have as their service centers are all company owned and sized to be profitable given the lower volume of service needs. This has to have all of Detroit and the major players in Germany and Japan worried.

Thanks for reading. I’d welcome comments/complaints!
That's a lot of observations and I know much appreciated! However, I cannot see the relevance in comparing an almost 3 year old Model S to the new Model 3, with all due respect.

I've got a friend who has a Model S that he took delivery of in May of 2017 and his wife just got her new Model 3 about a month ago. I just took delivery of my brand spanking new Model S right before she got hers. I rode with her in her new Model 3 and I have to say I don't see that the new Model 3 is in any way better as for interior as the new Model S or her husband's 9 month old Model S, for that matter. I would think that the new Model S has many, MANY improvements interior and exterior in the past 3 years so I wonder if you've driven a new Model S and would love it if you would drive a new Model S and give us your opinions on that.

I am still new at this but to me it doesn't seem like you're comparing apples to apples, if you know what I mean....and maybe I am wrong but with all the improvements made in almost every aspect, over the past years, it seems almost impossible to fairly compare the two particular vehicles you currently are driving, due to the age of the Model S and the age of the Model 3.

That being said, I do think my friend's Model 3 is wonderful and I did love the lack of a dashboard, in a way but I still like the Model S better now that I have seen both, driven both, actually and my friends, I believe, feel the same way. I just also like the size of the Model S but that's really personal preference. The 3 seems a little small but maybe it's because I am used to a larger car.
Anyway, I am glad you got your Model 3 and hope you get to enjoy it for many years to come!!!! If you do decide to try out a NEW Model S, please post your opinions. There probably are not a large number of people who can compare the 2018 Model S and 2018 Model 3.
Thanks for all the info!

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I took delivery of my Model 3 several weeks ago. I ordered it in June 2016 when I purchased my Model X (90D). I have now had a chance to compare both and like both for different reasons. I am keeping the Model 3 due to its superior range and handling. To me range is the primary factor in purchasing an electric car. When you own a Tesla, features and build quality are a given. Utility obviously is a factor, i.e. sedan vs suv. I enjoyed the 6 seats in the Model X and the hatch back, however I do not need those features. The Model 3 has superior range over my Model X and is more nimble. I look forward to many road trips in the Model 3 and look forward to future improvements in range by Tesla. When it comes time to move up from my Model 3 Extended Range, I will again look at range first and features second. Attached is my Model 3s license plate.View attachment 290173

upload_2018-3-30_9-22-39.jpeg

What compromises are you seeing between the Model 3 and Model S? No fuses, better headlights, better sound system, more headroom? You can't really compare performance on a single motor Model 3 to a dual Model S. I'd expect limited compromises there, but we'll see. Range is comparable. Again, even with just a single motor. Autopilot hardware is the same or better (extra interior camera) on a Model 3 as well.

The Model S has slightly wider rear seats (~1"), more storage space, heated steering wheel, and a hatchback (which I miss the most on a Model 3).

What exactly are you losing on the Model 3? I'm not seeing material quality differences that you'd see when comparing a $40k to $200k Mercedes.
I personally think that a base 3 with the Federal tax credit is a smoking deal but the current available car is too close in price to a base S. The S feels and looks like so much more car for the money unless you need the long range. I never drove an older S to see if the headlights are worse in those but they are not worse on the current gen S. Lack of fuses? Can’t tell if the S has fuses so not sure if it is a plus or minus. I see no benefit for an interior camera, selfies?. I’m not being critical or trying to hurt anyones feelings but the 3 has an overall cheap appearance, lack of interior refinement, or much interior at all. Buyers will argue they like not having a convenient dash or controls but it is just cost cutting and that’s fine for the price point. The 3 has a huge lack of interior storage without the cavernous rear hatch (they really missed the boat without an S-like hatch), lack of upscale headliner (I like the original they used for promotion). The 3 seats and steering wheel that you see and touch are clearly a step down, not bad but not S standard that you are comparing to. Our S and X have premium sound so I don’t see any improvement in sound. The 3 doesn’t have anywhere near the regen effect of the S and X, it’s ok if you don’t know the difference. If it is what someone wants the S carries a luxury stigma that the 3 certainly doesn’t. I’m not picking on the 3 but just listing the obvious difference because you asked. I think the difference is very similar to a base Mercedes vs a higher end Mercedes, although a top of the line Mercedes is on a much higher level. I think Tesla should have built a simple 3 SUV version right along side the 3 sedan or just the SUV version if both was too much. Haven’t they heard that America prefers small SUV’s! Yes they had loads of initial orders but that doesn’t mean they could not have strived to shoot higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkS22
The M3 is a nice car, and it's good that some people find it a great car. Personally I love the look of it , but have yet to drive one. '
With that said, there is no way I'd give up my MS for a M3. The Y is about the only thing down the road that I might give up my MS for, but giving up free supercharging when I plan on doing lots of cross country road trips would suck.

The M3 is a nice car, and it's good that some people find it a great car. Personally I love the look of it , but have yet to drive one. '
With that said, there is no way I'd give up my MS for a M3. The Y is about the only thing down the road that I might give up my MS for, but giving up free supercharging when I plan on doing lots of cross country road trips would suck.
It's clearly a personal choice, and my review was not meant to change anyone's mind about the M3 vs the MS...as I said in one post, this is an embarrassment of riches--they are both great cars.

Reactions: voltage
I personally think that a base 3 with the Federal tax credit is a smoking deal but the current available car is too close in price to a base S. The S feels and looks like so much more car for the money unless you need the long range. I never drove an older S to see if the headlights are worse in those but they are not worse on the current gen S. Lack of fuses? Can’t tell if the S has fuses so not sure if it is a plus or minus. I see no benefit for an interior camera, selfies?. I’m not being critical or trying to hurt anyones feelings but the 3 has an overall cheap appearance, lack of interior refinement, or much interior at all. Buyers will argue they like not having a convenient dash or controls but it is just cost cutting and that’s fine for the price point. The 3 has a huge lack of interior storage without the cavernous rear hatch (they really missed the boat without an S-like hatch), lack of upscale headliner (I like the original they used for promotion). The 3 seats and steering wheel that you see and touch are clearly a step down, not bad but not S standard that you are comparing to. Our S and X have premium sound so I don’t see any improvement in sound. The 3 doesn’t have anywhere near the regen effect of the S and X, it’s ok if you don’t know the difference. If it is what someone wants the S carries a luxury stigma that the 3 certainly doesn’t. I’m not picking on the 3 but just listing the obvious difference because you asked. I think the difference is very similar to a base Mercedes vs a higher end Mercedes, although a top of the line Mercedes is on a much higher level. I think Tesla should have built a simple 3 SUV version right along side the 3 sedan or just the SUV version if both was too much. Haven’t they heard that America prefers small SUV’s! Yes they had loads of initial orders but that doesn’t mean they could not have strived to shoot higher.

I'm comparing to a 2018 P100D as well as my P85D. I guess there's just a lot of personal opinion here. But to address your points:

(1) The headlights on the Model 3 are better than a brand new P100D. They're more even with less hot spots.

(2) The interior camera isn't for taking selfie pictures. It could be used for driver attentiveness or any number of useful features, like checking your eye gaze or hand gestures. For example, I hold the wheel at all times on AP, but it still asks me to place my hand on the wheel so I have to unintuitively shake it. It could be used for safety (like if you're slumped over) and alert EMS. The point is, it has it and there are a lot of very smart people who will be thinking of ways to use it.

(3) Lack of fuses and more wiring redundancies are definitely a step forward. Even if you don't see them, solid state fuses (MOSFETs) are more advanced. Redundant wiring brings added safety to major systems, like power steering. Hopefully they're not necessary often, but it's nice to know they're there.

(4) I personally thought I'd miss the instrument cluster, but I like not having it. Driving at night with nothing in your line of sight is pretty cool. Maybe it was for cost cutting, but it feels clean and modern to me.

(5) I agree a hatch would have been a big step up. And a power liftgate should be part of the Premium Upgrade package. No question, I prefer a hatch. That doesn't feel like a premium or non premium option. I think they just wanted that beautiful large glass roof window.

(6) Have you compared the same music on both the High Fidelity Model S/X and the Model 3? Because my Model 3 sounds significantly better. It's also objectively better in frequency response using audio meters. But sound quality is probably more objective than anything else we're discussing on the car. :)

(7) I actually find the Model 3 seats more comfortable. But, again, highly subjective and likely based on body type.

(8) Agree the S/X have more regen, but they're also heavier vehicles. I'd love an optional higher regen mode, but it's not a huge deal to me.

(9) Agree the S/X steering wheel feels more substantial. It's noticeably larger and has more controls (and the AP stalk). The wheel as a whole probably feels the least premium of anything on the Model 3.

All that said, I personally don't see the difference as significant as a low and high end Mercedes. (My wife's car is a 2017 Mercedes.) I see a difference between a larger and a smaller car. But, oddly, the Model 3 has more headroom and almost identical passenger space. I will absolutely give nods to the S on the hatch and the better steering wheel.

I find the interior of Model S to have odd angles (like where the MCU cubby meets the center console, there's a gap and like a 15 degree angle at the intersection). It feels off to me. The Model 3 is all integrated with straighter lines. Nothing major, but the Model 3 pleases my sense of aesthetics more. I could be OCD about it, though.

To be clear, both are excellent cars. I'd take a Model S over a competitor any day. As others of mentioned, this is like an embarrassment of riches discussion. I completely respect your thoughts and hope everyone enjoys their car, no matter what model they have.

I love reading all the thoughts & comparisons on here - clearly from Tesla fans

I feel in love with the S when it was just a sketched idea... if I had $100k back then, I certainly would have purchased it

I was a day 1 reservation & took delivery of my M3 last Saturday
It has by far exceeded all of my expectations

I believe that is the real accomplishment for Tesla

I have driven a Prius for the last 8 years & well... the M3 is definitely a sports car to me

After finally getting to join the Tesla owners - I think that’s the real story here

S,X or 3... it doesn’t really matter as they are all top notch compared to ICE no matter what you are looking at
Cost, maintenance, ride, looks, feel or happiness with ownership

My lady, friends & family all think I’m crazy as they can’t wrap their heads around new technology or being scared to do something different than ICE

My lady has a Jeep lease (2016 MSRP $38k) that’s about to end & as I look & price different vehicles she is interested in - I can’t help but wonder WTF is going on...

Everything is $25-30k (Civic, Corolla)
Camry hybrid is $30-35
Tundra, Jeep $35-45
& trucks at $60-80k+ ? Really?

For what?
The opportunity to spend thousands $ on gas, thousands $ on required maintenance- all in the 1st 5 years
Ridiculous!!!!

So the Revolution of the M3 is really about bringing the ICE masses to realize the real cost of ownership of what they are driving

Even a M3 at $35k with no $7,500 credit is such a superior car over anything at that price range or even upwards of $50k IMO
Since you really have nothing else to pay for in the cost of ownership

Once enough M3 are on the road & everyone’s friends start getting a ride or get to drive one & get to compare it to other autos they are considering - it will have to be a no brainer decision

I personally love the fact that owning a Tesla is also giving a big to all the other auto makers for their lack of innovation & bring in bed with big oil all these years

Regardless of what model you own - they are all the right decision

Long live Tesla!

I find the interior of Model S to have odd angles (like where the MCU cubby meets the center console, there's a gap and like a 15 degree angle at the intersection). It feels off to me. The Model 3 is all integrated with straighter lines. Nothing major, but the Model 3 pleases my sense of aesthetics more. I could be OCD about it, though.

I know what you mean. I've always preferred car interiors that are as symmetrical as possible, compared to interiors where everything is angled toward the driver, treating the passenger seat as some sort of out-of-the-loop sidecar. Symmetry Just seems more like a clean classic approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkS22
With regards to the supercharging, I work in different states and I travel a lot. Even within my state I work two hours away from home. I drive 35 thousand miles in the first year. The current electricity prices set by Tesla are okay. However, they may increase. I plan to keep the S for twenty years of I can. I worry if I trade it for a 3 and Tesla bumps up the electricity prices, I'll regret giving up supercharging.