Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My M3 vs my MS...the revolution is underway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate that. Yes, I agree. In the end, the cost of the car is the final filter. Is my Model S 3X better than my Model 3 even though it cost 3X as much? Honestly, of course not, well, except in one area. The "wweeeeee!" factor is > 3X better. Worth. Every. Penny. :D
For you, Icefree, I wrote the following in my original post:

I understand why some people would buy the 100D and want ludicrous mode, etc. Those people have money to burn and/or love speed.

Rock on!

Better compare that against the fact that the 3 is 30% more efficient than the S. That means you get 30% more miles from charging at home, and thus your home charging costs less for the same miles driven. Depending on how much Supercharging one does, it can actually cost less overall to charge a 3. I came to that conclusion for us personally since we might use a Supercharger 20 times a year.

Biggest effect of that efficiency difference is Supercharging speed. 110kW --> 330 mph in a MS, 400+ in a M3.

Makes a meaningful difference on road trips.

Interesting comparison would be between an M3 LR and an S110D. The latter would go farther (about 375 miles). The former would add back miles faster. I bet the net travel times would be quite similar.

Last edited:
Great write up.

Especially for someone like me whose a huge enthusiast, but an S or X purchase wouldn't be a financially smart purchase for my household. I don't feel like I'm missing out on something that is currently unattainable.

I got to test drive the Model S and X a few times but that experience was just an experience in fantasy.

I was recently fortunate enough (thanks to an awesome local model S and 3 owner), to go for a ride in the model 3. The experience was unbelievable fun and there is nothing I can compare it to since it's definitely in a market of it's own IMO.

I'm a huge tech fanatic but I don't know much or ever cared about cars. People will often confuse my adoration for Tesla, as being a car enthusiast. They will then start talking about their muscle or exotic cars which would then bore the crap out of me.

Tesla has sparked interest in a lot of people that wouldn't otherwise care about vehicles. This is an important part of the revolution some people might be missing. I got on the Tesla bus because of Elon's sincere drive for a sustainable future, but stayed because the tech, and design is just bad @ss.

My recent experience as a passenger in the model 3 emotionally outweighed test driving
driving the S or X. I was no longer a passenger in a fantasy, but now the the driver in something much more attainable.

This thread also highlights the fundamental benefits of a smaller, lighter car.
I remember years ago when I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I loved. Right up until I got a loaner Toyota Corolla during servicing and realised that the dirt-cheap Corolla was far more refined, responsive, quiet, smooth etc than my beloved Jeep.
I have the feeling I’ll have the same reaction to the M3, whenever it makes its sorry ass to these RHD shores...

I'm still a bit worried about not having good wiper control from the stalk. I don't believe for a second that I'll be happy with the automatic rain sensing. I've never owned a car which had a really good one.
The wiper control not being on a stalk is not really an issue, in my opinion, on our Model 3, as the wipers are auto-sensing and can be set to your favorite setting easily. We never change the setting and do not have to turn on wipers manually, so...

- Door handles. A bit of a regression here. The Model S has auto present handles, simple to use, and no brainer when extended on how to open the door. Then the Model X went to auto opening doors, where you don't even need to touch the door to open it. Then the Model 3 decided to go with a physical dexterity test to open the doors. Not an improvement.
You skipped the bit where the door handles on the S fail (repeatedly) and cost $800+ to repair. I had one fail during my first winter, and it was replaced under warranty, but it got me thinking about the future. I can't spend repair money like that. I see people reporting these failures here all the time. One guy nearby has had 14 replacement handles over the years. That would be $10,000 of out of warranty costs. Egads. (and if your answer is "you have an old car, get a new one with warranty!", you are the very definition of privilege... sorry...). You also can't go around trying to sell a car that claims to save people a ton of money in gas and maintenance and then charge them $800 to repair a frickin' door handle every year.

I'm verrrry happy to have door handles that are weird and reliable vs. unreliable and expensive. (Also I don't personally find them weird or hard to use... just mildly annoying to explain to everyone who walks up to the car how to open the door... and then again when they want to get out... LOL).

You skipped the bit where the door handles on the S fail (repeatedly) and cost $800+ to repair. I had one fail during my first winter, and it was replaced under warranty, but it got me thinking about the future. I can't spend repair money like that. I see people reporting these failures here all the time. One guy nearby has had 14 replacement handles over the years. That would be $10,000 of out of warranty costs. Egads. (and if your answer is "you have an old car, get a new one with warranty!", you are the very definition of privilege... sorry...). You also can't go around trying to sell a car that claims to save people a ton of money in gas and maintenance and then charge them $800 to repair a frickin' door handle every year.

I'm verrrry happy to have door handles that are weird and reliable vs. unreliable and expensive. (Also I don't personally find them weird or hard to use... just mildly annoying to explain to everyone who walks up to the car how to open the door... and then again when they want to get out... LOL).
Agreed completely on prefering the 3 door handles. I was never crazy about the presenting handles in my S and I never had them completely fail although they would from time to time not be immediately responsive. The software update I received for the 3 today (2018.10.5) fixes the annoying habit of the car waking up whenever you approach with your phone. Now it simply unlocks the doors and trunk and the car wakes up when you enter. Great update.

Agreed completely on prefering the 3 door handles. I was never crazy about the presenting handles in my S and I never had them completely fail although they would from time to time not be immediately responsive. The software update I received for the 3 today (2018.10.5) fixes the annoying habit of the car waking up whenever you approach with your phone. Now it simply unlocks the doors and trunk and the car wakes up when you enter. Great update.
Yeah, spending 3 weeks with a driver's door handle that couldn't present was kinda terrible. Oh, and the motor for it kept spinning continuously (even while driving!) since it couldn't figure out what was going on. Listening to that was the special bonus :rolleyes:.

You could have just turned off Auto-Unlock on Walk-up, which I did the day after getting the 3, for the same reason... :)

Just so we're clear, @iluvmacs, you have a M3 and you believe the doorhandles will be more reliable than those in an S? Scary story, yours.

Just so we're clear, @iluvmacs, you have a M3 and you believe the doorhandles will be more reliable than those in an S? Scary story, yours.
I think the 3 door handles will be more reliable. I have been "locked out" of my S because the handles would not present even though the car "woke up". I don't think that is possible with the 3...as long as they unlock with the phone or key card, you should be able to enter the car.

The two common failures in the S handles are the paddle gear and the microswitch wire. There is no paddle gear in the 3's handle to break. I don't know exactly how they've designed the handle movement detection (i.e. it may not even use a microswitch), but at minimum it's not designed as a dynamically moving object that will wear out that wire. Obviously there are possibilities of new and unknown failures, but getting rid of the known issues is a great step toward believing they will work better.

Interesting note about the key fob in an earlier post. It’s obviously a matter of personal preference but I love not having to carry my keys anymore. I love the app and have had no failures with it. The key card for valet parking has been seamless as well.
The issue I have with the phone vs. the fob is, it's a multi-step process to open the frunk, or open the trunk (when the car is locked), when using the phone. My typical use case: when bringing home takeout, I always put the food in the frunk to keep from stinking up the car. It's very easy to double-tap the fob in my pocket, without looking, to pop open the frunk. On the 3, I have to pull out my phone, open the app, then tap the button. Use case for the trunk: when I'm standing away from my car, and someone else needs to access the trunk, I can just open remotely, again, without looking or taking the fob out of my pocket. With the 3, same problem, I have to launch the app to open the trunk, and it takes a couple extra taps.

Ok, yes, I know these are minor inconveniences. But I really wish they offered the option of using a FOB. When Summon is available on the 3, doing that action with a FOB is much easier than using the phone, in my experience with the S. And in that scenario, I want instant and reliable response, I don't want to worry about the phone connection being flaky and not stopping when I want it to.

Interesting note about the key fob in an earlier post. It’s obviously a matter of personal preference but I love not having to carry my keys anymore. I love the app and have had no failures with it. The key card for valet parking has been seamless as well.

We got rid of our exterior house doors a long time ago so my car keys are the only keys I currently carry.
It will be great to not have to carry any anymore.

JK:D about not having doors. Our home door locks are digital/smart.

The issue I have with the phone vs. the fob is, it's a multi-step process to open the frunk, or open the trunk (when the car is locked), when using the phone. My typical use case: when bringing home takeout, I always put the food in the frunk to keep from stinking up the car. It's very easy to double-tap the fob in my pocket, without looking, to pop open the frunk. On the 3, I have to pull out my phone, open the app, then tap the button. Use case for the trunk: when I'm standing away from my car, and someone else needs to access the trunk, I can just open remotely, again, without looking or taking the fob out of my pocket. With the 3, same problem, I have to launch the app to open the trunk, and it takes a couple extra taps.

Ok, yes, I know these are minor inconveniences. But I really wish they offered the option of using a FOB. When Summon is available on the 3, doing that action with a FOB is much easier than using the phone, in my experience with the S. And in that scenario, I want instant and reliable response, I don't want to worry about the phone connection being flaky and not stopping when I want it to.
When the day arrives that we have the Tesla app for the Apple Watch it should alleviate the need to take out your phone.

I'm in nearly exactly the same situation as you -- leased S85D getting returned April 23rd, day 1 line waiter, Model 3 delivered about 10 days ago.

I agree virtually 100% word-for-word with your assessment. The one thing that I may miss from the S is the off-the-line acceleration (the 85D has a 4.2 sec 0-60), but over the last 3 years I think I've worked that out of my system. The other items in the 3 far outweigh the slightly slower 4.8-4.9 sec 0-60. Otherwise, I will not miss the S at all.

SomeJoe:

I'm in the same, but different position. The lease on my 2015 P90D ends in late September, but I'm dumping it next week. Bought a low mileage 4 year old CPO E class Benz with the twin turbo V8 engine. Much better car than the S in many respects.