Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My mind is playin' tricks on me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just tried that and it does allow me to edit my design and change to premium white interior. Two problems - I emailed my change to premium white interior in the beginning of Aug and it still hasn’t shown up in my account. I am afraid if I make the change on line (it is showing 2-4 months) that will make a serious dent in my current Sept - Nov (which shows as black interior even though I emailed the change beginning of Aug). Second, it wants to charge me the “new / updated” price for White (CDN$2,000). I chickened out and selected keep my current configuration but not sure what to do.

So just tried that and it does allow me to edit my design and change to premium white interior. Two problems - I emailed my change to premium white interior in the beginning of Aug and it still hasn’t shown up in my account. I am afraid if I make the change on line (it is showing 2-4 months) that will make a serious dent in my current Sept - Nov (which shows as black interior even though I emailed the change beginning of Aug). Second, it wants to charge me the “new / updated” price for White (CDN$2,000). I chickened out and selected keep my current configuration but not sure what to do.

The price for white has always been 2k CDN.

Also, when they finally update your account, it will also bump your date, but that's typically just a generic estimate. What matters most is when they will batch build that same config again. ie, if they just finished a run with your config and premium white, you have to wait for it to roll around again. But if they plan to build it in the next week or two, you luck out and get no delay.

From that understanding, I dont think it will matter much if you do the edit design thing now. If they already have you in queue for white, it wont make a difference, and if they haven't processed it yet, you'll get the change in quicker.

If you do decide to click 'go' let me know if your account reflects the change right away. I expect it should....and if it does something screwy, you can probably call in the morning and reverse what happened. That's what I think I'm going to do after going by Oakville tomorrow on the way to work. If I am still convinced to change, I'll do the edit design, and then make a follow up call in the morning when they open.

Ok, so I think the universe is conspiring to tell me to switch paint colours:

Point 1:

My wife likes the white, and given how annoyed I have made her researching/talking about this car for the past few months that is a positive sign....its gotten to the point where she ignores me when I talk about something cool I read, but she actually listened and looked at the photos posted here earlier :)

Point 2:

So, we are potty training our son, and today before the first attempt I said in my mind "if he poops, that means I should change colours"....and he pooped....Later tonight before putting him to bed, I said the same thing in my mind, and poop x2 for the day :eek:

So, yeah. How can you argue with that? I think I'll swing by Oakville on my way in tomorrow morning to see if they have a white and blue to check out in person, then I'll make the final call, but if there was ever a sign I think the above to points cover them ;)

Oakville has both colours now as well as all other colours. Most will be delivered on the 5th, 6th & 7th. You will have to be timely to see your preferred ones. Best of luck as they are all wonderful...

I had thought the white was less before but could be wrong. I realize if they ever update my order I will get bumped but I was hoping I could argue a bump from the beginning of August Rather than a bump from sept 2 - which really could take me to Jan before delivery if it is 2-4 months from now

I had thought the white was less before but could be wrong. I realize if they ever update my order I will get bumped but I was hoping I could argue a bump from the beginning of August Rather than a bump from sept 2 - which really could take me to Jan before delivery if it is 2-4 months from now

When I changed my colour last the new date reflected was the date my account was updated (Aug 3), not the date I made the request (July 13)....so when they update it your order agreement will reflect sept, not august...but like I said in my previous post, I dont think that means much. Your original order/reservation date and config relative to batch matter more.

If you change, you'll have to accept the fact that arguing wont get you anywhere. They are trying to build 24k cars/month. 1 order isn't something they will waste too much time on (IMHO)...just keep your fingers crossed it wont be january...at least that's how I'm approaching it. That way if its early, its a bonus :)

That was my thinking when I submitted the change order by email in the beginning of August. I have called about 4 times since then and they have not been able to tell me any update or even whether it has been received. I am paralyzed by indecision about whether I should just bite the bullet and change it online now - Sept 3!

That was my thinking when I submitted the change order by email in the beginning of August. I have called about 4 times since then and they have not been able to tell me any update or even whether it has been received. I am paralyzed by indecision about whether I should just bite the bullet and change it online now - Sept 3!

From my experience, it can't hurt to change it because like I said, the new order will say the date they input it to their system.

And if for some reason it doesn't update immediately in your system, you can call tomorrow and say 'some nut on the internet told me this was safe' ;)

Thx for your input. Unless I just leave it and if by some chance I get a call in the next couple of weeks (I am Sept -Nov) and they tell me it’s black interior, maybe I can make a fuss and say “what are you talking about, I changed it to White on Aug 2, and here are all my emails about it...”, whereas if I change it online today, there goes my argument. (I know, I’m grasping at straws).

Well, for better or for worse, I bit the bullet, and I made the change on-line through the "backdoor edit" and selected White interior. I held my cursor over "keep my current design" but then held my breath, and confirmed the change.
The crazy thing is, that at least as of right now, my account finally shows the white interior, but my delivery window has NOT moved from Sept - Nov.
I emailed my change to Tesla in the beginning of August, and a month later, they still could not update my order page. Thirty seconds after doing it myself on-line (and hoping it wouldn't push me back to Dec - Jan), my page is updated, and at least for now, delivery window is still showing as Sept - Nov.

Reactions: pcons
Well, for better or for worse, I bit the bullet, and I made the change on-line through the "backdoor edit" and selected White interior. I held my cursor over "keep my current design" but then held my breath, and confirmed the change.
The crazy thing is, that at least as of right now, my account finally shows the white interior, but my delivery window has NOT moved from Sept - Nov.
I emailed my change to Tesla in the beginning of August, and a month later, they still could not update my order page. Thirty seconds after doing it myself on-line (and hoping it wouldn't push me back to Dec - Jan), my page is updated, and at least for now, delivery window is still showing as Sept - Nov.

Hey! Nice!

I am about to push the button on the switch to white, so its good to see the change took effect immediately. I actually went by oakville this morning and took a bunch of pics and videos. The lighting wasn't great as it was early, so I may pop by on my way home to look at the white ones in better light.

Fun facts:

- they had ~ 24 model 3, I would say 11 were red, 2 grey, 6 black, 4 white and 1 blue
- almost all of them had a production date of 8/18...so Tesla really hustled to get them up here!

Are you going to post some pictures? Also questionable as to whether my “order” is still technically considered to be pre July 1 for purposes of the free connectivity but at this point, I just want the damn car already!

Sure, I'll post right after this message. Regarding connectivity, I believe you should be ok. I've seen a lot of people ask that about making a change (particularly about the white seats), and they always were reassured by Telsa it would keep the connectivity. Search the forums and you'll see a lot of those folks.

On another note, I just did the edit myself and changed colour to white and added (officially) EAP. Decided at the last minute not to go with the white interior on the white exterior....my gut said it is a bit risky with the dog/kid. Plus I can put the 2k towards possibly paint protection or ceramic coating or winter tires.

Also, the change reflected instantly in my account and did not change my delivery window just like you :) Here's hoping that stays true.

Given I saw ~24 cars this morning at oakville that were built 2 weeks ago (Aug 18th), and that was a mix of black, red, blue, white all built on the same day, I am hoping this wont cause any delay, but I think I made the right decision on the colour for me....pics in next post, there are a fair bit of them....

There are some mixed in here of blue and white in the wild. I have some of other colours too from other visits if people are interested, I can post those too. These are mostly early morning, so the cars dont shine as much as in daylight, but still sexy.

IMG_20180721_170913.jpg
IMG_20180903_094439.jpg
IMG_20180904_080859.jpg
IMG_20180904_080920.jpg
IMG_20180904_081042.jpg
IMG_20180904_081100.jpg
IMG_20180904_081350.jpg
IMG_20180904_081403.jpg
IMG_20180904_081414.jpg
IMG_20180904_081530.jpg

So, just to close one final update on this thread/the original question of whether the backdoor edit works/tells you anything about if your order is close to delivery or not.....I would say the answer is yes :)

I just got an email to begin scheduling pickup for last week of september, and I edited through the backdoor 2 days ago. My backdoor edit no longer works.....Also, two other users have PM'd me saying they couldn't access the backdoor, and a day later they got contacted.

So, this tells a couple things to me:

1. The backdoor is much faster than calling in your design change or emailing it (a few weeks, vs instant change to your account)
2. Editing the backdoor (at least in my case) didn't result in a delivery delay
3. If you can't access the backdoor, it likely means you are close to getting contacted/VIN

I hope this info helps others still in waiting mode ;)

• Informative
Reactions: PAWilson
Just to provide the same information as pcons:
Not definitive, but quite close:
I was able to go through the backdoor, called, they told me I didn't have a VIN yet.
Following day: couldn't access the backdoor, didn't call them for more information.
Following day after that: called and they told me I had a VIN/DA assigned, even though no DA had yet contacted me.

So there definitely does seem to have some correlation.....or just coincidence.

One more data point. After over a month of the email submission not showing up in my account, I went on line on Tue through the backdoor edit and made my change to white interior which was reflected in my account about 5 minutes later. An hour ago I received an email that they want to schedule my delivery Sept 24 - Oct 2. This is awesome and super exciting EXCEPT I AM OUT OF TOWN AND OVERSEAS THAT ENTIRE WEEK!

So, here I am patiently waiting for my blue AWD after changing paint from MSM, and this morning on a walk I see my first white model 3....and now I'm thinking of changing to white with white interior :confused:

I was surprised how much I liked the white. I know it will very likely delay my order, I still don't have a vin but have sept/Nov delivery...I don't know what to do. :(

I didn't really think much of the white in pictures, but in person in the morning sun it looked fabulous.

My edit button has been gone for months (paying cash, once I selected that my button went away), but the backdoor still works. It took tesla 4 weeks to process my last paint change via email. I'm wondering if I decide to change if I should use the backdoor....has anyone edited via the backdoor and can advise how quickly the change was reflected in your account?
I was sure I was ordering blue but thanks to you I've finally decided on white! Ordered yesterday. :)