Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model X overnight vampire drain is 8 miles/day? Options? Norm?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
I was away 2 weeks ago and each night it did this for 22 minutes. SOC 67% -> 70% and Range 165.2 -> 173.4 (8.2 Miles - vampire).

Does it matter if you turn Climate Control off (power button for it at bottom of screen)? I would have guessed it shut off automatically after a minute of leaving the car.

My Power Management is set to Energy Savings = ON but also with Always Connected = ON

Aside: I'm not sure why it skipped Thursday the 17th. I thought I had it starting at 1am so I also don't know why the times varied. Data from teslalog.com

Image: http://i.imgur.com/tSBbRyS.png
tSBbRyS.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/n9nLOme.png
n9nLOme.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/0KXUTPa.png
0KXUTPa.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/TRbwJ3Q.png
TRbwJ3Q.png

Reactions: mercc3650
My Power Management is set to Energy Savings = ON but also with Always Connected = ON

Thanks for sending.

Wow, so your discharge rate is worse than mine. I have mine on Energy savings = Off (as don't want the 7-10 sec delay to start the car every time I get in the car) and Always connected = On

I will have a report from Tesla by the end of the week hopefully depending on the other items they are looking into.

I am seeing a 5% drop per day with the car on, doors opening and closing but not driving, while at the detailers since the 31st. 71% to 46% over a 120 hour period. I left it with Energy Savings ON but also Alays Connected ON. Climate is Off.

Ok, the reason you're losing that is that you have "always connected" checked and you're using continuous monitoring/logging. That's just a factor of the tools constantly hitting the car. If you want that data, you'll have to put up with the losses as the tools constantly keep the systems in the car awake as it polls all the data from the car's systems.

If you turn off the logging from that website but leave the settings as-is, your vampire drain will be reduced. I had this happen to my Model S when energy savings first came out -- TeslaMS didn't have support for sleep mode and I ended up losing 10-12 miles per day.

As a life long software developer and troubleshooter, my advice is to only make 1 change at a time and then monitor the result. Turn off the logging for a day or two and see what that effect is. Then you can turn it back on and see that the vampire drain goes back to 8ish miles/day. Make sure you can both discover the issue and recreate the issue.

Reactions: scottf200
Turn always connected off. I've had terrible vampire drain when that box is checked on my S. Your car should sleep for 8-12 hours if it is allowed to enter deep sleep.

Ok, the reason you're losing that is that you have "always connected" checked and you're using continuous monitoring/logging. That's just a factor of the tools constantly hitting the car. If you want that data, you'll have to put up with the losses as the tools constantly keep the systems in the car awake as it polls all the data from the car's systems.

If you turn off the logging from that website but leave the settings as-is, your vampire drain will be reduced. I had this happen to my Model S when energy savings first came out -- TeslaMS didn't have support for sleep mode and I ended up losing 10-12 miles per day.

Really? This seems odd to me. If always connected is checked then the CAN busses should be awake anyway to serve requests. It shouldn't matter how often you poll the API.

Turn always connected off. I've had terrible vampire drain when that box is checked on my S. Your car should sleep for 8-12 hours if it is allowed to enter deep sleep.

If you're using any of the logging websites / programs, and it doesn't know how to handle sleep mode, the car will never sleep even with "always connected" turned off. This is because these types of logging keep the car awake. With TeslaMS, if you use the "sleep mode" flag (-z), the system will stop polling for 30 minutes once the car makes a transition from driving to parked so that it can allow the car to sleep. Once it falls asleep, it then uses non-intrusive polling (the /vehicles call) to determine if something else woke the car back up. The downside of that is that if you drive somewhere, stop for a minute to get a drink or something, then get back in the car, you won't get the data for up to 30 minutes because the software is in its "nap" mode waiting for the car to go to sleep. There's no way for it to continue polling without keeping the car awake.

So if you want all the data, you put up with the vampire drain.

Last edited:
I presume you capture no streaming data then? or do you wait until a 30 minute poll shows activity, then turn on streaming?

Only time I stream is for performance logging when the car is driving. Otherwise I just hit the charging and battery APIs. Aside: My Pi3 CAN perf logger is working nicely so I really don't need the streaming API anymore. I'll be pushing out some more updates on GitHub later this week.