TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My neighbors keep opening my charge port

Discussion in 'Model S' started by contaygious, Jun 12, 2019 at 4:54 PM.

1. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

I have two Teslas so I have to park one outside.

Well my neighbors both have Teslas too and each night when they charge they open my outdoor Tesla port all night until morning. What the heck!? Is rain going to f up my car somehow?

Tesla says this is normal...whaaat

2. iRia

iRia Member

How close are you parked? I've never seen this happen, say, at a supercharger where cars are azz to elbows...

3. dethman

dethman Member

Your port should close by itself after not being plugged in for awhile, not stay open all night

I know because when I plug in one of my teslas the other one's port always opens. It closes within 10 to 20 seconds though.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

Unless it's a newer one it wont auto close

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. David99

David99 Active Member

Yes that's an issue with the older cars. Their charge port only opens but doesn't have the motor to close itself. Tesla fixed that in 2015 I believe. Unfortunately the new charge port does not fit in the older cars :/ I tried.

• Informative x 1
  6. dethman

dethman Member

That's a pretty poor design choice.

7. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

Late 2014 for exactly this reason. It's even worse at dealerships.

8. Raechris

Raechris Member

Ask your neighbors to open by pressing/MCU rather than pressing button on their charge handle

• Like x 1
  9. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

FOB should work too I presume without popping other cars.

10. Exiom

Exiom Member

Perhaps you can put your keyfobs in a faraday pouch or something while at home... I think they dont open if they are locked and no keyfob is around...

• Like x 1
  11. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

Wrong. They will still open

• Like x 2
  12. Exiom

Exiom Member

Well yes and no... it doesn't always open... because I have tried to open the charge port of cars who the owner either forgot to plug in or finished but chose to parked in the spot... but I'd like to assume they forgot

I tried both Wall Connectors and Superchargers... I find that most of the time it doesn't open and only a few occasions that it does... but I plug it in for them if it opens... so they dont come back and find their car didn't get charged... and if they are already full and still parked in a supercharger... I am sure they will come back quickly

13. rpo

rpo Member

It always opens. Only difference is if the car is locked, you have to hit the button twice.

• Like x 1
  14. Exiom

Exiom Member

Thanks! I will give that a go next time.

15. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

If the charge port opens simply by pressing the button on the charging handle, without the phone key being in range (or the car being in an unlocked state), then it's not working as designed.

But I wouldn't be concerned with rain getting into the charge port and causing problems (at least as long as it's not an e-Tron).

• Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 1
  16. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Well I'm in Sf and I park in front of my driveway, my neighbors have chargers towards the front of their garages.

It's the first year model s so it won't close by itself, but I guess my model 3 has been closing automatically. Good to know about the rain thank you.

I wish there was an option to only open port with key near it. My key is very far away so no way it senses it.

I know for a fact the key doesn't have to be close because I often charge my own car without it when my key is in the back of the house. I double.tap.button

17. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

Sure it is working as designed. The car has no idea if its going to be charged and it will open whether or not you actually plug it in. Press the button on the charging handle and it will open the charging port

• Like x 1
  18. whitex

whitex Active Member

#18 whitex, Jun 13, 2019 at 12:37 AM
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 12:48 AM
    It has worked this way for all of the Tesla's I've every driven, including 4 Model S I've owned. I actually use this feature almost every day when I or my son plug in my wife's car every evening, it would suck to have to go look for the key each time. It is the behavior Tesla designed.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Not that this has anything to do with this case (no one around) but there is some tie-in with car occupancy. At least for the 3’s. When my GF gets home I often plug in her car while she is getting her things together in the car after she puts it in Park, and the charger port will not open from the wand until she gets out of the car. For weeks I thought it was broken or sticky since it would open if I pushed/tapped on it.

The button on the HPWC only works for me if no one is in the driver’s seat. So, is this expected behavior? I can see the programming, since if you are in the car, why do you want your port popping open.

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

When we used to have insufficient Tesla WCs at my work vs. Tesla spots, if you pushed a WC button, pretty much all the S in the area will open their charging doors, even those in another aisle across from them, which don't have Tesla WCs. Was quite funny. I think most or all of the S had charging doors that would self-close, eventually.

Unfortunately, the IIRC, the X didn't have this behavior, so we couldn't plug in a waiting X. I think w/the 3, you could do it if you woke the car by pulling a door handle, then pushing the WC's button repeatedly until the 3's charging door opened.

This is all without having a fob or phone registered with any of the vehicles nearby. (I have no Tesla.)

This is all moot now. At work, there are now an equal # of Tesla spaces as there are Tesla WCs

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1