Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Pearl White Model 3 with some early mods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beautiful car, love the wrapping!

Can you snap a pick of you or a friend sitting in the backseat? Trying to gauge how much room is available back there after Motor Trend indicated that the backseat area is cramped. I need to fit 2 car seats back there - 1 infant, 1 convertible (forward facing).

Window tint. Living in Arizona, my only concern is decreasing the amount of heat the sun throws at me. A really dark tint might look nice and keep people from looking in, but at night it is a nightmare trying to negotiate around tight areas.

If I could get clear window tint that repels 80-90 percent of the sun's heat, then that's what I would put on my 3.

Good to know. Thanks. What about accommodating 3 people in the back? Not necessarily 3 adults but a mix as an example?
It could fit 3 kids relatively easily, but I wouldn’t count on it fitting 3 fully grown adult Americans. Shoulder/personal space is very reasonable though, so you could fit 5 people in the car if you had to. It’s not dramatically smaller than Model S, but if you’ve ever had 5 in an S you’ll know there’s not much room to give!

Window tint. Living in Arizona, my only concern is decreasing the amount of heat the sun throws at me. A really dark tint might look nice and keep people from looking in, but at night it is a nightmare trying to negotiate around tight areas.

If I could get clear window tint that repels 80-90 percent of the sun's heat, then that's what I would put on my 3.

Have a look at Prestige’s Photosync tint. I lived in Arizona for 20 years and the only thing I’d do before moving back is get the pano/roof panels done with Photosync 35.

For now I’ve got Photosync 35 all around and Photosync 75 on the windshield. Heat is cut and glare is cut. Noticeably.

The 75 is essentially invisible. That might be an option.

It could fit 3 kids relatively easily, but I wouldn’t count on it fitting 3 fully grown adult Americans. Shoulder/personal space is very reasonable though, so you could fit 5 people in the car if you had to. It’s not dramatically smaller than Model S, but if you’ve ever had 5 in an S you’ll know there’s not much room to give!

Is there any vehicle that can fit in a standard parking spot and fit "3 fully grown adult Americans" in the back seat comfortably? I've seen people saying "XXX car doesn't fit 3 across comfortably" on every car forum I've seen since the invention of internet car forums....

What are people expecting? It's not a Tardis or Harry Potter Ford Anglia, it's not actually bigger on the inside.

HELP! I just put a deposit down for a new 75RWD model S but the monthly price is coming in more than I had thought (tax wasn't included...) and now I'm seeing these posts and videos of people LOVING the 3. I still have a reservation from February (set date May-June 2018) and I'm seriously considering cancelling the S and eating the $2500 and waiting for the 3. Am I crazy??

HELP! I just put a deposit down for a new 75RWD model S but the monthly price is coming in more than I had thought (tax wasn't included...) and now I'm seeing these posts and videos of people LOVING the 3. I still have a reservation from February (set date May-June 2018) and I'm seriously considering cancelling the S and eating the $2500 and waiting for the 3. Am I crazy??
I’m sorry to hear about the tax discrepancy, but don’t cancel. Model S is an incredible car, and you won’t be disappointed. Enjoy the extra space, the acceleration, and actually seeing a new Tesla in your driveway sooner rather than later!

when are you gonna lower it?

I really like your mods. Are you also considering lowering the car a bit? Is it possible with Model 3?

I expect it will be possible once the aftermarket gets their hands on them. I'm not sure if I will or not yet. Reducing the gap would certianly look great, but I don't want to spoil the ride. It's also nice not scraping driveways or speed bumps.

Any impact on efficiency with the 20" tires?

Are those efficiencies from the 20 inch rims you have or the Aero rims? Also what is your 90% charge range?

Those numbers are somewhat combined. I'm getting around the higher end of that range since getting the wheels, but that's also just my commute. The lower end of that range was freeway driving with the stock 18's installed.

How did you deal with the stock rear windshield's faded tint? Did you tint 40% over the entire rear windshield? Or did you only tint the lower, untinted, area? What are your thoughts on that?

If you tinted the entire rear windshield, did you also tint the front row glass ceiling, so it would match the rear windshield darkness?

How’s the view at night through the back tint with the massively thick defrosters? My current car with thin defrosters already creates a lil double vision on headlights. Wonder if thicker is better or worse.

I had the sides and back tinted. The back was tinted up to the last defrost line at the top. Basically right above the headrests for the back seats. The line is high enough that it's not visible from the outside, and it's above the line of sight for my mirror, so I never notice it while driving. Here's a couple photos.

IMG_20171028_155306.jpg IMG_hnqcls.jpg

Unfortunately we're pretty much on the other side of the bay driving so they're harder to spot than for you guys in the East Bay :( unless I guess we're up by Palo Alto.

If you're on the peninsula, you'll probably see me. I commute on 280 between Palo Alto and San Jose.

do the model 3 buyers get referral codes?

I don't have any, no. Not sure if that will change or not.

Cmon man. Be real. Maybe you enjoy riding around with your head incredibly close to the roof. You're only saying that because you love the car. The back seat goes right to the pillar for cryin out loud. It's a compact car. 25 years ago I had an 88 firebird... pleeennty of room in the back (cause I didn't have to sit there)

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/49/e3/a1/49e3a17efdb700900bb95f78e06f50db--tesla-s-tesla-motors.jpg

Be real? Ok, but be real yourself too.

My 2 cents: the Model S was the car I felt the most cramped in in the back of all the cars I have ever ridden in, even considering cars of much smaller dimensions. And the Model S had the glass roof too.
Judging from pictures and the ever increasing number of test drive videos on YouTube the Model 3 looks quite a bit roomier in the back to me than a Model S.
It not only depends on your overall height, but also on your leg to torso ratio. I remember many threads in the Model S forum where people of the same height noticed very different personal experiences in the back. In the end it came down to the individual leg to torso ration in almost all cases I can remember.

Don't forget about the upcoming Model S refresh either...

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
If you can spare the time, I'd go for the 3. It seems to be as great a car as the S (some say even better) at a significantly lower price tag.

I'm getting about 240-280Wh/mi. I'm confident it would go the full 310 miles if I weren't driving it 80mph on the freeway.
Those numbers are somewhat combined. I'm getting around the higher end of that range since getting the wheels, but that's also just my commute. The lower end of that range was freeway driving with the stock 18's installed.
EPA indicates 255 Wh/mi combined, that means they probably tested with 19" wheels, which makes sense. Therefore,
@mauswerkz experience seems to be pretty much spot on. There is approximately a 5% range bonus for 18" wheels compared to 19" wheels (255/240). And there is a 10% penalty in range for driving 80 mph with the 20" wheels compared to 65 mph with 19" wheels (255/280). These numbers are not unexpected. I am guessing that range with aero wheels will be about 325 miles at 65 mph with LR battery. I am also guessing that driving 80 mph on the freeway will reduce range to <290 miles, regardless of what size wheels you are running. Therefore, I am hoping to get 240 mile range (<230 Wh/mi) with my SR battery (220 + 10%) driving 65 mph on long trips with aero wheels (that's Bolt range).

@mauswerkz , anyone?, can you see any errors in my math or logic? Your numbers are the first real world numbers I have seen posted and this is starting to get very interesting. Thank you so much for your informative and useful posts!
m1256.gif

Last edited: