Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is everyone making it out like he is starting a class action law suit and trying to extort money out of Tesla?

What he has said his goals are seem perfectly reasonable to me. One option doesn't cost Tesla anything, at least not directly, the other has Tesla refunding him for an option he paid for that he no longer has as it was sold to him.

We have no idea how many people have made deals with Tesla already that are hidden by NDAs.
Both options costs Tesla money. The first one would accelerate the rate at which the car would get the "need service" message and thus battery replacement.

Reactions: Canuck
This is what my owners manual says: Regular over-the-air updates add safety and navigation features, enhance performance and improve the driver experience.

Not sure how Tesla will argue that reducing power is any of these things.
Well, let's see....

Add safety - reduced power = increased mean time to failure = lesser chance of a breakdown = added safety because you're not stranded on the highway or in a bad section of town.

Enhanced performance - Car will operate without failure for a longer time = an "enhancement."

Improved driver experience - Better experience if you don't have to walk due to a possible breakdown our enhancement now avoids.

I'm not saying those all (or ANY of them, for that matter) pass the smell test, but such arguments could well be made. Lawyers love those kinds of things, because they, along with emotionally charged divorce cases, are what makes so many so much money. (not ripping on lawyers, here)

That's big of you to attack people rather than comment on the issue. But then again, it sounds like you have experience in the area you talk about above and I sure don't, so I'll defer to your expertise.
Oh, was I talking about you? I think you protest a little too much. Very sensitive. I guess you are the person who was laughing at people's naivete, though.

Well, let's see....

Add safety - reduced power = increased mean time to failure = lesser chance of a breakdown = added safety because you're not stranded on the highway or in a bad section of town.

Enhanced performance - Car will operate without failure for a longer time = an "enhancement."

Improved driver experience - Better experience if you don't have to walk due to a possible breakdown our enhancement now avoids.

I'm not saying those all (or ANY of them, for that matter) pass the smell test, but such arguments could well be made. Lawyers love those kinds of things, because they, along with emotionally charged divorce cases, are what makes so many so much money. (not ripping on lawyers, here)
None of your examples apply since it's not a catastrophic failure. You just get a warning to have repairs done. So it only enhances Tesla's warranty cost experience.

There are already 197 pages of these arguments in the linked thread. It comes down to is it legitimate for a company to protect its bottom line at the expense of its customers after the point of sale? Azdryheat is trying to find out. What's the harm?

It is certainly ground breaking, and perhaps a sign of things to come.

You buy a car because it does something you like. Or it was the deciding factory in your selection against the competition.

Then, remotely, the feature is removed afterwards. You might have signed something that says you are licensed to the software, but you don't own it, if not, it still applies. The engine control software (or stereo, or suspension, et al) is not your property. The mfr can edit it. Sony already set the precedent (Playstation) by removing a core feature remotely (Linux compatibility) and IIRC, the courts approved.

Will that hold up in court with cars when an MFR can point to Sony? People often ignore the whole Slippery Slope paranoia as being Tin Foil Hat Club propaganda, but the truth is, they spent their money on Reynold's Wrap wisely. It happens again, and again, and again.

We are the frogs for dinner. How do you cook a live frog? Put it in a pan of cold water and turn on the burner. By the time the frog realizes the end result, it's already cooked.

It is certainly ground breaking, and perhaps a sign of things to come.

You buy a car because it does something you like. Or it was the deciding factory in your selection against the competition.

Then, remotely, the feature is removed afterwards. You might have signed something that says you are licensed to the software, but you don't own it, if not, it still applies. The engine control software (or stereo, or suspension, et al) is not your property. The mfr can edit it. Sony already set the precedent (Playstation) by removing a core feature remotely (Linux compatibility) and IIRC, the courts approved.

Will that hold up in court with cars when an MFR can point to Sony? People often ignore the whole Slippery Slope paranoia as being Tin Foil Hat Club propaganda, but the truth is, they spent their money on Reynold's Wrap wisely. It happens again, and again, and again.

We are the frogs for dinner. How do you cook a live frog? Put it in a pan of cold water and turn on the burner. By the time the frog realizes the end result, it's already cooked.
I don't know if linux compatibility is a core feature of a game console designed to play sony's games. That's more like Tesla deciding to use different mapping software. Now if they decided to slow down the frame rate of all of their games ...

If the frog posts his experience in a forum, it's probably best if you don't accept the invitation when yours comes.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: McRat
Sorry for my ignorance on this, I thought Tesla backed off and eliminated the performance reduction in a recent update? This was for the Model S P90L model which I have.

Nope, full power has been reduced in ludicrous with max battery power to 1500amps, previously max battery power on gave about 1600 amps. Now with new software you can achieve 1600 but only by using launch mode! So only from a full stop can you activate the full power of your car and you only have that power for launch mode launches not regular driving which It reverts back to 1500amps at all other times...

Nope, full power has been reduced in ludicrous with max battery power to 1500amps, previously max battery power on gave about 1600 amps. Now with new software you can achieve 1600 but only by using launch mode! So only from a full stop can you activate the full power of your car and you only have that power for launch mode launches not regular driving which It reverts back to 1500amps at all other times...
Interesting, thank you for the confirmation.

I don't know if linux compatibility is a core feature of a game console designed to play sony's games. That's more like Tesla deciding to use different mapping software. Now if they decided to slow down the frame rate of all of their games ...

If the frog posts his experience in a forum, it's probably best if you don't accept the invitation when yours comes.

I'm certainly wrong in one aspect. It appears there is not a court decision in favor of removing features, Sony settled out of court:

Sony agrees to pay millions to gamers to settle PS3 Linux debacle

It was a core feature for those folk who bought the Sony over other brands due to the Linux feature. Unknown to many people, folk used game consoles for other purposes. Folding At Home (Stanford Protein Research Project to fight diseases) used Playstations all over the world chained together into virtual supercomputer. The USAF developed a massively parallel supercomputer using them as well. And hobbyist were using them as well.

Nobody NEEDS to go 0-60 under 12 seconds. Prius proven. The vehicle was sold as a very powerful and quick vehicle, and remains so even after a power reduction. But for those who bought them for the specific performance numbers? Well, Sony didn't win when they nerfed their product after the fact.

Also - it actually reduced full power even when using launch mode. I was getting 508 kw prior to the power reduction removal - and now I am getting 500 kw max.

Didn't you report the same finding @Tech_Guy ?

Relax guys, Elon is trying his best to accelerate sustainable transport, by ripping off his customers. Thats the fastest way to do it, dont ya know?

Anyway, the only way to stop these practices is to ban Tesla direct sales and service. That will get Tesla to act like they should. I hate dealers with a passion, but they in a way prevent this software downgrade, and other nonsense.

Relax guys, Elon is trying his best to accelerate sustainable transport, by ripping off his customers. Thats the fastest way to do it, dont ya know?

Anyway, the only way to stop these practices is to ban Tesla direct sales and service. That will get Tesla to act like they should. I hate dealers with a passion, but they in a way prevent this software downgrade, and other nonsense.
How does the dealership model prevent Tesla from downloading firmware directly to your car via cell/wifi data?