Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My two biggest problems with the cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could put a Tommy lift gate on the truck.
ImageGen.ashx

It's not made for loading plywood or drywall. It's a toy.
How is it any different from the majority of pickups sold today? Four doors and a short box. Walk onto any dealership and try to find a 4 door long box. You will load drywall just like everone else does. With the tailgate down the bed will be 8 feet long and it will fully support the drywall

I'v loaded stuff into truck beds A LOT (reason why i reserved a CyberTruck.. i use them daily) and i never go from the side. Always one person in the bed one at the tailgate. Plywood, gypsum board, engines, transmissions, feed, hay and so on... Usually when i'm strapping i am standing up on the tire if i cant get into the bed. Im not tall enough to go from the side, my father who is 6'3" doesn't go from the side either.

When i look at this truck i see built in storage with no need to buy a bed box. freeing up more bed space. Plus the bed has no wheel wells protruding into the bed space. There have been times i have had to create a spacer to get the bed floor flat for objects.

I feel like most of the comments and complaints about this stuff are from people who buy a truck and use it once maybe twice a year.

I hadn't even noticed the lack of wheel wells! I'm loving this truck more all the time.
Lack of wheel wells is not a good thing if the whole bed is just as narrow as the wheel wells would have been. To make it wider than the typical 50" wheel well width requires pushing the rear wheels out wider, (or having the bed be high over the wheels like a flatbed which is not the case here). I have heard various dimensions for the width of the bed such as 54" or 60". If it is indeed 60" wide and flat, that would be great. 54" is getting kind of narrow.

Full sized trucks are around 66 wide on the inside and around 61 or 62" wide at the top rails and tailgate opening.

I'v loaded stuff into truck beds A LOT (reason why i reserved a CyberTruck.. i use them daily) and i never go from the side. Always one person in the bed one at the tailgate. Plywood, gypsum board, engines, transmissions, feed, hay and so on... Usually when i'm strapping i am standing up on the tire if i cant get into the bed. Im not tall enough to go from the side, my father who is 6'3" doesn't go from the side either.

When i look at this truck i see built in storage with no need to buy a bed box. freeing up more bed space. Plus the bed has no wheel wells protruding into the bed space. There have been times i have had to create a spacer to get the bed floor flat for objects.

I feel like most of the comments and complaints about this stuff are from people who buy a truck and use it once maybe twice a year.
Most of the 'complaints' are small things that can be resolved. The problem with the small things, is you wonder who designed it? A truck owner would have thought about the small stuff. We've all been there, trying to tie something down in the front corner of a box because the bed is full and we cannot fit our body in there, so we lean over the side. If I have drywall, I'll put a strap across the back of the box. Can't walk on it, just reach over the side. Pile of split rails? Can't really climb on those, have to strap from the outside. Having a tie-down loop that sticks out is 1000000x easier to use than one that is flat or recessed like the CT. That can be changed, it's a little thing.

Unless you have an overlapping undercover, water will get into the bed. retractable covers are the worst for water in the bed, and when they retract, water, snow, etc all fall onto your contents. I didn't see any drain holes in the bed, it looks solid. That needs to be modified. Where does the blood go? ;) Where does the cover compartment drain out and how can it be cleaned and dried?

Lack of wheel wells is not a good thing if the whole bed is just as narrow as the wheel wells would have been. To make it wider than the typical 50" wheel well width requires pushing the rear wheels out wider, (or having the bed be high over the wheels like a flatbed which is not the case here). I have heard various dimensions for the width of the bed such as 54" or 60". If it is indeed 60" wide and flat, that would be great. 54" is getting kind of narrow.

Full sized trucks are around 66 wide on the inside and around 61 or 62" wide at the top rails and tailgate opening.

here are the specs... the vault interior volume is 4.75' (57") X 6.5' X 3.24' (avg due to sail pillar slope) or 100 cubic feet of space.
Source: Tesla Cybertruck: Range, Power, Payload, Towing, Price + More - Automobile

Most of the 'complaints' are small things that can be resolved. The problem with the small things, is you wonder who designed it? A truck owner would have thought about the small stuff. We've all been there, trying to tie something down in the front corner of a box because the bed is full and we cannot fit our body in there, so we lean over the side. If I have drywall, I'll put a strap across the back of the box. Can't walk on it, just reach over the side. Pile of split rails? Can't really climb on those, have to strap from the outside. Having a tie-down loop that sticks out is 1000000x easier to use than one that is flat or recessed like the CT. That can be changed, it's a little thing.

Unless you have an overlapping undercover, water will get into the bed. retractable covers are the worst for water in the bed, and when they retract, water, snow, etc all fall onto your contents. I didn't see any drain holes in the bed, it looks solid. That needs to be modified. Where does the blood go? ;) Where does the cover compartment drain out and how can it be cleaned and dried?

That's what a carbide drill bit is made for, add a couple holes for retaining straps, plug the drill in into the convenient outlet and make a couple holes in the sides of the bed...hell, I can open up the Sail Pillar and mount a couple of eyelets in the bed and screw the bolts on from the outside of the vault...

Same for the water/blood/guts - carbide drill bit can fix that too..or grab your handy 30/30 and shoot a couple holes in the tailgate.

Cleaning out the bed is easy, give it an Appalachian American style car wash, leave the vault cover open then drive 80MPH down the road in a rain shower blowing your crap all over the cars behind youo_O Requires one of those stupid mesh tailgates for it to work really well.
iu

304-stainless-steel-long-eyelets-heavy-duty52584220166.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
My two concerns are the steering wheel, as I want a round one especially for backing into camping spots with a trailer. The second is the size as I hope they offer a midsized version. For towing I want the 500 mile range (250 when actually towing) but I have no need for such a huge truck. 5000 lbs towing, 2000 bed capacity and a bed 5.5’ and 49” wide would fully meet my needs and it would fit in the garage much better.

Are you sure? I see all the truck use experts chiming in that over the side is the actual preferred way to load anything. In fact, their usage statistics should been seen as a wake-up call to all pickup truck manufactures that nobody actually needs a tailgate. They would be able to save tons by just making the rear solid like the sides.

The two biggest problems:

1) Tesla will sell CYBRTRK to anyone who orders one, including people who think you load from the side, have no imagination, live to complain about anything and everything, and just basically — yeah.

2) The above people are probably going to get their VIN and delivery of one before me because — yeah.

Are you sure? I see all the truck use experts chiming in that over the side is the actual preferred way to load anything. In fact, their usage statistics should been seen as a wake-up call to all pickup truck manufactures that nobody actually needs a tailgate. They would be able to save tons by just making the rear solid like the sides.

I'm just going off of personal experience and what i see with other truck owners do. So your saying that tailgates arent for any good use? Interesting. Can you post a link of this information?