Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My very disappointing CPO delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your experience makes me question whether I should consider purchasing a CPO Model S. I hope you're able to get all of the issues resolved. Please keep us posted!

By the way, can someone who took delivery of a CPO Tesla in the San Diego area comment on the condition of the car, the delivery staff, and the overall CPO experience?

@OP

If it's of any help, the Burlingame SC has always been great to me and others I have talked to. As others have suggested, "bring it back" and have them address the relevant issues. Make sure to review what's covered/what's not and request to document all the relevant items on the actual due bill you have yet to receive.

Keep us posted.

With this many issues, you should have insisted on a Due Bill. Offering the car with the previous plates on and user-removable scuffs, and no one appearing to know what was addressed in reconditioning internally likely highlights this was lacking the usual disciple and quality control. I'm hopeful Tesla will make this right, though ensure you have photos, go back asap and be unafraid to email [email protected] soonest. This isn't their usual standard and I'm sure @JonMc would like to help track this down to root cause.

Good luck and keep us informed. As the CPO program is being used to help those considering 3 moving into an S or X having lower standard to the point where expectation is refuse delivery, isn't what anyone needs.
Thanks for the lead; I'll forward my comments to them.

An update: I heard back from my CPO advisor. He seemed understanding and said he would reach out to management to address my concerns. He acknowledged that my experience was not up to MINE OR THEIR standard. That gives me hope and I don't believe I was simply getting lip service.

Anyone can make mistakes and have oversights. What matters is a company stands behind its standard. It'd be quite devastating to be let down multiple times though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all your support!

Reactions: MikeBur
@OP

If it's of any help, the Burlingame SC has always been great to me and others I have talked to. As others have suggested, "bring it back" and have them address the relevant issues. Make sure to review what's covered/what's not and request to document all the relevant items on the actual due bill you have yet to receive.

Keep us posted.
Thanks for the the heads up. That would be my choice too as it's closest to home for me.

I think the CPO process involves three steps:

1. Drive car through car wash
2. Sell car to customer
3. Book service appointment with customer to have issues addressed

I drove away with the most obvious drivetrain clunk..it was embarrassing. Sure they fixed it after-the-fact, but c'mon. Part of this also has to do with the fact that Tesla will CPO dang near anything. High miles? Yep. Been in an accident? Sure thing! Other manufacturers tend to CPO the "better" cars only. Beyond that, I would always expect "wear" that is commensurate with mileage (no better, no worse). As an example, we have a 2012 Volvo XC60 and the 2013 P85+ CPO - both with a bit over 50K+ miles. I would say the wear on them is nearly identical in terms of seats, carpets, paint chips, windshield, etc.

Reactions: xanatos
@KL670, just out of curiosity, did you have an option to leave the car there to get things fixed (either finalize the financials and get a loaner, or not finalize the sale, i.e. don't pay them, until everything is fixed and keep driving your trade-in)? Or, did they offer you the chance to simply get your deposit back, and/or transfer it to another car, since this one was not in a great condition?
While I always knew that I could walk away from the delivery, the truth is my bank had already sent the check to Tesla prior. And right after they finished having me sign the paperwork (before seeing the car), they asked for my downpayment. In fact, I asked the delivery person what if I had concerns about my car, he said they would always take care of them. I took his word for it and I guess they're having to prove that now.
I'll admit, when you're so excited about something, it's just difficult to walk away after being reassured that the issues would be taken care of later.

Tesla had me prepay for a new car delivery and said the same thing. True to their word, they fixed whatever issues I found and seem inclined to keep on fixing issues as they arise. I am not concerned (other than with some wind noise/infiltration that they claim is normal for cars with all glass roofs but I think their normal needs revision). Even the wind noise issue isn't the biggest deal -- perhaps they are right and its just part of having a glass roof but it seems intrusive and could be solved with some added gap filling which I might eventually do myself when I am so inclined.

An update: I heard back from my CPO advisor. He seemed understanding and said he would reach out to management to address my concerns. He acknowledged that my experience was not up to MINE OR THEIR standard. That gives me hope and I don't believe I was simply getting lip service.

Anyone can make mistakes and have oversights. What matters is a company stands behind its standard. It'd be quite devastating to be let down multiple times though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all your support!
Exactly, and whilst I'm hopeful they will address everything, there's a benefit to having tesla Corp understand who are the good CPO delivery service centers and who needs some additional loving attention to do better... :). There's a note there for people who have great experiences too... let Tesla know.

• Love
Reactions: croman
Exactly, and whilst I'm hopeful they will address everything, there's a benefit to having tesla Corp understand who are the good CPO delivery service centers and who needs some additional loving attention to do better... :). There's a note there for people who have great experiences too... let Tesla know.

I've found Tesla wants feedback but I'm unsure what happens with the feedback provided. Hopefully it is put to good use but I haven't seen anything directly confirming that. At any rate, I always give perfect reviews and specific positive feedback about employees by name so if it is used, the company knows who exactly did the amazing things I mention in my reviews and, if any, what issues or concerns I have and why.

• Love
Currently 392xx miles. I've put on maybe 100 miles the last couple days? Why?

At anything beyond 35 or 40K miles the various rock chips in the paint and windshield chips do start to become considerably more noticeable. Other than a little touch up paint (usually obvious on close inspection), I wouldn't expect Tesla to have done much about them beyond that.

We flew up to Fremont to pick up our CPO and had the same experience. We had items like a damaged hood, the spoiler had a huge scrape and the rear splitter was cracked. These were just a few of the problems we identified. We put it all on a Due Bill and Tesla ageed to fix everything. We told them we were walking if they did not agree. When we took it to our local center, Van Nuys, they were shocked at the condition of the car. But they were great and fixed everything. They had the car for almost two weeks. You need to take it back immediately and get a Due Bill. Make them repainted the hood if it is really bad.

It's important to get the Due Bill at the time of delivery. This is a receipt of the observed condition of the car at that moment. It's like gtting a rental damage doc. If you return to the rental car company after you take possession, you're on the hook for any damage you didn't document at the time of pickup.

CPO is like a box of chocolates, or a cat in a bag.
While I always knew that I could walk away from the delivery, the truth is my bank had already sent the check to Tesla prior. And right after they finished having me sign the paperwork (before seeing the car), they asked for my downpayment. In fact, I asked the delivery person what if I had concerns about my car, he said they would always take care of them. I took his word for it and I guess they're having to prove that now.
I'll admit, when you're so excited about something, it's just difficult to walk away after being reassured that the issues would be taken care of later.
Yea, Tesla's "take care of the payment online first" policy does make it hard, as does the excitement at the end of the wait where you just want it to be done. I wonder if they would allow a CPO buying an inspection prior to delivery, if they asked for one.

CPO is like a box of chocolates, or a cat in a bag.

Yea, Tesla's "take care of the payment online first" policy does make it hard, as does the excitement at the end of the wait where you just want it to be done. I wonder if they would allow a CPO buying an inspection prior to delivery, if they asked for one.

I fight back on the "pay first" when I buy. I do set up the financing in advance so they do have that check, but I refuse to hand over the final down payment until I have inspected the car. I can unwind the financing if worst comes to worst.

So far they haven't really fought back, I will be testing that again (hopefully) soon when we pick up our P85D

Some folks have gotten pre delivery inspections based on past threads here. I am going to test that since I know my husband's ordered car is in Burbank now and I am picking up my S from service there tomorrow so I am going to ask to see it. (I want the part number off the front shock actually)