Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR all season tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just returned from a two week trip in the Alps with the Michelin CC2, besides the poor rim protection, they were absolutely brilliant in fresh & packed snow! Combined with the Off-Road mode on the MYLR, it really felt sure & steady, no hill that we couldn't climb.

Impatiently waiting for the 0.0001mm of snow in London next week now...

• Informative
Reactions: Utumno and Cloggie
Just returned from a two week trip in the Alps with the Michelin CC2, besides the poor rim protection, they were absolutely brilliant in fresh & packed snow! Combined with the Off-Road mode on the MYLR, it really felt sure & steady, no hill that we couldn't climb.

But how does it handle on the wrong type of leaves?

Sadly it never matters in the South-East. One turbodiesel rwd German marque will come to a halt on a slight incline. Then another identical machine will attempt to go around them, bouncing off the rev limiter, and block the other lane. Other than the occasional Yaris or Panda passing via the pavement, the road will remain blocked until the Spring.

Like many people in this thread, I have struggled to find all season tyres for the MYLR.

I eventually found some online at ATS, the Goodyear all season.
But the issue I have is that they have a wet grip rating of "C" (and speed rating of "H"). So I don't know if I should try get those, or just get summer tyres with a wet grip rating of "A" instead.

I am debating which of the following to get:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (255/45 R19 104Y XL)
Efficency: B, Wet grip: A
£206 fully fitted (at ATS)

or

Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season (255/45 R19 104H XL)
Efficency: B, Wet grip: C
£252 fully fitted (at ATS)

And I see Halfords also has the eagle F1s for about the same price, which brings up another point:
Halfords has £8 per tyre extended warranty.
Yet ATS is £25 per tyre.

Is it worth getting the extended warranty? Why is ATS so much more?

And would you trust Halfords to work on a tesla?

Like many people in this thread, I have struggled to find all season tyres for the MYLR.

I eventually found some online at ATS, the Goodyear all season.
But the issue I have is that they have a wet grip rating of "C" (and speed rating of "H"). So I don't know if I should try get those, or just get summer tyres with a wet grip rating of "A" instead.

I am debating which of the following to get:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (255/45 R19 104Y XL)
Efficency: B, Wet grip: A
£206 fully fitted (at ATS)

or

Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season (255/45 R19 104H XL)
Efficency: B, Wet grip: C
£252 fully fitted (at ATS)

And I see Halfords also has the eagle F1s for about the same price, which brings up another point:
Halfords has £8 per tyre extended warranty.
Yet ATS is £25 per tyre.

Is it worth getting the extended warranty? Why is ATS so much more?

And would you trust Halfords to work on a tesla?
I’ve got the Goodyear 4Seasons SUV ones coming for a mobile install on Monday. They are 255/45/19/104W. C efficiency, B wet, so not my first choice but at least are correct speed rating.

I’ve got the Goodyear 4Seasons SUV ones coming for a mobile install on Monday. They are 255/45/19/104W. C efficiency, B wet, so not my first choice but at least are correct speed rating.
After all this I get a call from Halfords this morning that the tyres (that I have already paid for) didn’t show up and they now can’t source them. Not going to be using them again

After all this I get a call from Halfords this morning that the tyres (that I have already paid for) didn’t show up and they now can’t source them. Not going to be using them again
I documented this earlier in the thread, but I had the exact same when I ordered and paid for 4x Continental AllSeasonContact from Tyre Shopper, who are part of the same group as Halfords & National, despite being shown as available. Their opinion was that they MUST supply the tyres immediately, but I told them that I wasn't in a rush and if they could source them then to keep the order open and let me know. In the meantime I would see if I could find some elsewhere, (which I eventually did from Blackcircles on a black friday discount which matched the Tyre Shopper price).

Two weeks later, the day before I was due to have the Blackcircles tyres fitted I got a call from Tyre Shopper and they had managed to source the tyres and were ready to ship them for fitting.

So, it might be worth asking them to keep the order open and keep searching/waiting for stock if you're not desperate.

This was for a Halfords mobile appointment, so paid for the tyres and mobile install date a week in advance of the install date (which was only a day or so after their first available date). So - I think I would have a reasonable expectation they would actually have ordered the tyres at the time.

So - now have a date for installing Pirelli’s via Asda Tyres. Will see if those actually show up and get installed 🤷

This was for a Halfords mobile appointment, so paid for the tyres and mobile install date a week in advance of the install date (which was only a day or so after their first available date). So - I think I would have a reasonable expectation they would actually have ordered the tyres at the time.

So - now have a date for installing Pirelli’s via Asda Tyres. Will see if those actually show up and get installed 🤷
Yes, mine was a mobile appointment (as I say, same company as Halfords) as well and I too chose a date and paid in full upfront. Clearly their stock management or stock availability listings with distributors system isn't very good.

Earlier in the thread where I was moaning about Hankook tyres being particularly bad for getting cut to pieces by stones, well I take it back because the Good Year asymmetric 3 I have are just as bad.
Seeing as my tyres don’t last long enough for the tread to wear out I thought I would try some budget tyres so spoke to a well known online tyre supplier for any recommendations.
He said on no account fit anything other than EV tyres otherwise your insurance will be void if you have a crash and they inspect the tyres, also Tesla warranty will be void if not original equipment tyres??

Tried to contact Tesla but didn’t manage to get any joy so phoned my insurance company.
After getting past the AI who thought I was ringing about a windscreen claim I got through to a real person. Basically the upshot is I would have to fit the original tyres, Hankook, unless I tell them I’m making a modification and would have to pay to have this done.
Ok how much? Zero pounds, so I added modified tyres to the policy which includes winter, summer, all season and stretched tyres?? Which is good as all Tesla tyres are stretched.

Just a long winded way to say let your insurance company know if you change the tyres from original.

IMG_9597.jpeg

Reactions: Bouba
Where do you get the idea that all Tesla tyres are stretched?
And that online tyre supplier is talking rubbish.
You don't need to tell your insurance company if you fit different tyres to those which came on the car originally as long as they are the correct size, load and speed rating.
But of course, if you ring up your insurance company and tell them about anything you're going to do to your car it gives them the chance to note it down as a modification and possibly charge you money.

Reactions: MrT3 and Js1977
Where do you get the idea that all Tesla tyres are stretched?
And that online tyre supplier is talking rubbish.
You don't need to tell your insurance company if you fit different tyres to those which came on the car originally as long as they are the correct size, load and speed rating.
But of course, if you ring up your insurance company and tell them about anything you're going to do to your car it gives them the chance to note it down as a modification and possibly charge you money.
Whilst insurance companies add all sorts of onerous clauses in their policies, surely this must be correct. On our M3 I did check with our insurer when getting a set of winters, but solely because it involved a different set of rims as well. That made me feel checking was prudent. Tyres alone if the correct spec and factory size I wouldn't even think to check.

I have plenty of anecdotes regarding insurance companies and how they like to make things up just so they can put a note on your policy and charge an 'admin fee'. Even just speaking to more than one agent in the same insurer will often give you a completely different response.

A lot of the time you could be speaking to a representative of a broker (not necessarily the underwriter themselves), who may or may not know anything about your particular vehicle or the bits fitted to it but is happy to find ways to bump up your premium or charge you additional fees.

On the whole, they don't understand suspension components, tyres, brakes, wheels and all the other parts you might want to upgrade to make your car safer and better. They simply put them all in the 'modifications' bin along with body kits, loud exhausts and furry dice.
Anything they don't understand could be an additonal risk and as they are risk-averse it's down to us to explain it to them in a way they'll understand, why a particular change in specification doesn't increase their risk.
Tyres are a non-issue as long as you keep to the manufacturers specifications. Same as if you get a suspension arm or brake disc replaced with a non-Tesla one. As long as they're the correct spec., E marked, legal and the car as a whole is in a 'roadworthy condition' your insurer won't make anything of it.

So much fuss is made of insurance and warranty liabilty these days. I get it, but it's not as bad as most people seem to think and there's a lot of misinformation out there.

Reactions: KennethS
I have plenty of anecdotes regarding insurance companies and how they like to make things up just so they can put a note on your policy and charge an 'admin fee'. Even just speaking to more than one agent in the same insurer will often give you a completely different response.

A lot of the time you could be speaking to a representative of a broker (not necessarily the underwriter themselves), who may or may not know anything about your particular vehicle or the bits fitted to it but is happy to find ways to bump up your premium or charge you additional fees.

On the whole, they don't understand suspension components, tyres, brakes, wheels and all the other parts you might want to upgrade to make your car safer and better. They simply put them all in the 'modifications' bin along with body kits, loud exhausts and furry dice.
Anything they don't understand could be an additonal risk and as they are risk-averse it's down to us to explain it to them in a way they'll understand, why a particular change in specification doesn't increase their risk.
Tyres are a non-issue as long as you keep to the manufacturers specifications. Same as if you get a suspension arm or brake disc replaced with a non-Tesla one. As long as they're the correct spec., E marked, legal and the car as a whole is in a 'roadworthy condition' your insurer won't make anything of it.

So much fuss is made of insurance and warranty liabilty these days. I get it, but it's not as bad as most people seem to think and there's a lot of misinformation out there.
Agree that you get a different opinions depending on who your talking to, i have had tyre shops tell me they won't fit non TO tyres to Teslas and others that are not bothered.
He did make me panic a bit so thought i would let the insurance company know i have non standard tyres so as not to give them any excuses to refuse a claim but agree you shouldn't have to as long as specs are correct.
Online tyre dealer said it was to do with weight and torque and had a customer who had problems with their insurance due to non standard tyres.
He also said EV's are heavy on brakes due to their weight so there you go!

• Funny
Reactions: Dangerous Fish
You'd hope tyre dealers would know everything about tyres, wouldn't you?
They certainly seem to know everything about upselling tyres that's for sure.

Like many others have said, here and elsewhere; as long as the tyres are of the same size, speed rating and load index ie, the original spec from the manufacturer (which by the way does not mention T0/T1/T2 marking) then you do not need to tell your insurance company. And nor does it void your vehicle warranty.

I’ve posted the second link a couple of times, but these links from reputable and official sources may shed some light on insurance and winter tyres.

The AA (reputable) - interesting comment re speed ratings.

The ABI (official)

• Informative
Reactions: mdunc and KennethS