Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot did not nag to keep hands on the wheel..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just took delivery of our Model 3 and my wife and I drove around to get used to the new car and i wanted to show her how to use a supercharger.

On the highway she enabled autopilot, and it did not nag her to keep the hands on the wheel. this might be WAI, unsure if just autopilot requires hands on wheel.

But then while on the highway i enabled navigate on autopilot because we had a destination already chosen. -- to my surprise her session still did not nag for hands on the wheel even while on "navigate on autopilot"

Is this working as intended , i thought that navigate on autopilot was supposed to always nag if you took your hands off the wheel for too long .. (she hand them off for several minutes).

She had "confirm lane change" set to true

Car is running software version 2019.35.102

We just took delivery of our Model 3 and my wife and I drove around to get used to the new car and i wanted to show her how to use a supercharger.

On the highway she enabled autopilot, and it did not nag her to keep the hands on the wheel. this might be WAI, unsure if just autopilot requires hands on wheel.

But then while on the highway i enabled navigate on autopilot because we had a destination already chosen. -- to my surprise her session still did not nag for hands on the wheel even while on "navigate on autopilot"

Is this working as intended , i thought that navigate on autopilot was supposed to always nag if you took your hands off the wheel for too long .. (she hand them off for several minutes).

She had "confirm lane change" set to true

Car is running software version 2019.35.102

During that time, was she adjusting the volume/skipping music or changing TACC speed or using the turn signals? All of those reset the nag timer these days...

• Informative
Reactions: tren01t
I don't believe that TACC requires it, as the car isn't driving itself. It's when the car is control of the steering wheel that it is required.

Time can vary for the nag to occur.

-- i'm going to test further ..

at least on that 1 session we did .. if you began by doing TACC .. and then entered FSD using the onscreen button -- it appears that on that session, nagging was disabled.

TACC requires it for most vehicles as it's still "autopilot"

Maybe I misunderstand, but I have never gotten a hands on wheel nag when using TACC alone.

It sounds like the OP went straight from TACC only to full NoA, but engaged using the screen button instead of the stalk. An interesting case, and one I have never tried before.

Maybe I misunderstand, but I have never gotten a hands on wheel nag when using TACC alone.

It sounds like the OP went straight from TACC only to full NoA, but engaged using the screen button instead of the stalk. An interesting case, and one I have never tried before.

I would really hope that you always have hands-on-wheel when using TACC, else, who is doing the steering!

LOL, I always have hands on the wheel for Autosteer too, but that doesnt seem to stop the nags.
It's always interesting to read this. I keep one hand on my steering wheel in the same way I did in my ICE: left elbow resting on the door with my left hand on the steering wheel. Perhaps the way I hold it gives just enough resistance to let AP know that I am still there as nags are very rare for me.

It's always interesting to read this. I keep one hand on my steering wheel in the same way I did in my ICE: left elbow resting on the door with my left hand on the steering wheel. Perhaps the way I hold it gives just enough resistance to let AP know that I am still there as nags are very rare for me.

The torque required for the sensor to detect hands has a large tolerance band between cars. Our S can detect hands with the lightest touch. My 3 requires a good amount of active downward force from one side, enough that I am sure even the orange or water bottle trick wouldn't work on my car. Breaking out of AP via steering on my 3 is always an adventure of trying to keep control of the vehicle at high speeds because of the force required to do it. It's funny when my husband drives my 3, he gets nag after nag after nag because he is used to his S and doesn't put enough force on the wheel.

And, yes, I have taken the car to the service center a couple of times for this issue. I was told disengaging via the steering wheel is "not the correct way to disengage" and that they can't change the torque sensor setting at the service center, whatever it comes from the factory is just what you get and you are stuck with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevy Baby
Breaking out of AP via steering on my 3 is always an adventure of trying to keep control of the vehicle at high speeds because of the force required to do it.

I was told disengaging via the steering wheel is "not the correct way to disengage"...
I have been trying to get into the habit of using the turn indicator to disengage Auto Steer - I am just not comfortable about the force required. As I mentioned elsewhere just now, I have over 1 million ICE miles and getting into the Tesla has forced me to re-learn how to drive.

Thanks for your comments!

thats what we did -- engaged TACC with the stalk .. and then engaged fsd through the screen ...

or perhaps i'm misusing the terms .. our 2020 model 3 comes with FSD ..

so i'm calling TACC just regular old autopilot. (keeps the lane, and reacts to traffic speed).

and then there is FSD which is navigate on autopilot.

for me FSD nags ALL the time, i just dont put enough force on the wheel when i rest my left hand on the bottom of the wheel with my elbow on the door arm rest.

i still haven't had a chance to re-test .. but this morning it appeared that my wife never got nagged, and she had fully let go of the steering wheel while on TACC -- i then enabled FSD, and still no nag. -- but perhaps i just imagined it .. so i need to re-test

thats what we did -- engaged TACC with the stalk .. and then engaged fsd through the screen ...

So, I tried this on the way home, and Autosteer would not engage with just a screen tap on The Navigate on Autopilot button. Are you getting the blue steering wheel when you do it that way? I tried several times, including on a freeway - turned on TACC, then pressed the NoA button and Autosteer did not engage. The button turns blue meaning it’s available, but no blue steering wheel meaning it is engaged.

if that is the case, she wasn’t getting nags because Autosteer wasn’t actually on.

what software do you have? I am on 2019.36.2.4

I own two model 3s, the SR+ never nags to keep hands on the wheel. I could drive with Autosteer engaged until I run out of charge without touching the steering wheel. My M3P nags me as it is supposed to. That said, I think there is a sensor that is probably not plugged in or something. I joke that I think our SR+ was destined for the robotaxi fleet since it never nags. ;)

I own two model 3s, the SR+ never nags to keep hands on the wheel. I could drive with Autosteer engaged until I run out of charge without touching the steering wheel. My M3P nags me as it is supposed to. That said, I think there is a sensor that is probably not plugged in or something. I joke that I think our SR+ was destined for the robotaxi fleet since it never nags. ;)

You could probably make a small mint if you could figure out which sensor to disconnect for that behavior. :)