Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on AutoPilot poll

I use Navigate on Autopilot:

• With Lane Change Confirmation

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Without Lane Change Confirmation

Votes: 47 72.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually like the confirm better though I am using no-confirm more at this point. IF the no-confirm would just do it instead of telling me to apply light force to the steering wheel every time before it will do it then it would be much better. it's basically pseudo no confirmation.

The very first day it came out, my car was making terrible lane changes. It is much better now... I don't know how that happened. I can do ALL of my commute's freeway driving, 180 miles roundtrip, with no driver input now. That wasn't possible 3 weeks ago, even if I don't count signaling.

Reactions: jboy210 and EinSV
I'm on 2019.8.5 and used NoA w/o confirmation yesterday. I was on the HOV lane (110 NB) and there were 2 instances where there's a new HOV lane for bus to merge into for bus stop (park & ride?). It kept trying to get into that lane, multiple times, repeatedly and I kept canceling it but the next second it'd want to merge into again, turning on the signal and all. There was no car in front of me btw. It was very annoying. It made me look like an idiot.

Next up was it kept trying to get into HOV lane after I canceled the lane change (91 West). I didn't want to get in that lane so I canceled the initial lane change by tapping on the screen. Then it repeatedly tried to get into that lane again when it's already double yellow. I kept canceling it and immediately it wanted to get in again. I kept pressing on the screen repeatedly to cancel it and my wife was asking wtf are you doing? Again there was no car in front of me. I was so fed up I just disabled NoA for the rest of the trip.

Next up was it kept trying to get into HOV lane after I canceled the lane change (91 West). I didn't want to get in that lane so I canceled the initial lane change by tapping on the screen. Then it repeatedly tried to get into that lane again when it's already double yellow. I kept canceling it and immediately it wanted to get in again. I kept pressing on the screen repeatedly to cancel it and my wife was asking wtf are you doing? Again there was no car in front of me. I was so fed up I just disabled NoA for the rest of the trip.

I see this happen as well when the Nav system has plotted a route that includes the HOV but traffic isn't heavy enough to warrant paying the toll (no free EV access here in Texas). I wonder what the answer to this would be. It's not like NOA can read my mind and know I don't want to pay the toll today. I generally turn off NOA when there's a situation like this where I can look at the plotted route and see that I want to deviate from it.

I'm hoping they are logging the instances when the auto lane change is overridden by the driver, to help train the software to make more intelligent lane changes.

The 8.5 version in our X passes up large traffic gaps when it knows it needs to change lanes, gets confused about changing lanes around toll booth lanes, and tends to change lanes to frequently in and out of the left lane (which isn't needed on highways with 3 or more lanes in each direction).

If we view the software as a "student driver", it should get better over time, just like what happened with lane keeping.

Third option - I don't use NOA at all. I tried it a couple times when it first came out and found it to be extremely unreliable. Lots of rejected lane changes, braking in inappropriate situations (merging), cruising in the left lane until 0.25 miles before the exit with heavy traffic, etc. I'm going to wait another couple months before giving it a serious go again. For now I'm happy using regular AP and manual lane changes.

Third option - I don't use NOA at all. I tried it a couple times when it first came out and found it to be extremely unreliable. Lots of rejected lane changes, braking in inappropriate situations (merging), cruising in the left lane until 0.25 miles before the exit with heavy traffic, etc. I'm going to wait another couple months before giving it a serious go again. For now I'm happy using regular AP and manual lane changes.

You should try it again. It is way better than the first release.

I also rest my hand at the bottom of the wheel, never get a nag.
I've been using NoAP mad max with vibrate alert and no confirmation.

I've driven from Miami to Orlando several times using it. It doesn't do so well with the aggressive drivers we have here, and when the road is full of cars driving constantly on the left lane, which is normal in FL. But on stretches of the road with a few cars on the right lane, it works like a dream, moving out and back to the right lane, like a good driver would do.

My only issue is with canceling an unwanted lane change. I either have to reach out to the screen to tap, which is not so convenient, or use the turn signal, which activates it, probably confusing some drivers behind me. I wish a quick toggle on the autopilot stick would cancel it.